Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events?
Quote | Reply
I know that there are certainly exceptions to this but for the most part, why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to Ironman events?
There were two great events in Clermont, Florida, this weekend. Saturday featured the Florida Challenge Triathlon - the Intimidator which had both a half iron distance and sprint distance event. Sunday offered an Olympic distance event.
Both events offered great courses, enthusiastic volunteers and good post-race food and unseasonably cold weather for Florida in March.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It generally helps if there is a.) a pro field, b.) solid live tracking, and c.) an effort to distribute messaging to media outlets.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [smoothoperator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very simple. I can answer this in a single character: $
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to triathlonlive.tv to watch some real racing

Edit: for 20 something dollars
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 21, 17 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoothoperator wrote:
I know that there are certainly exceptions to this but for the most part, why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to Ironman events?
There were two great events in Clermont, Florida, this weekend. Saturday featured the Florida Challenge Triathlon - the Intimidator which had both a half iron distance and sprint distance event. Sunday offered an Olympic distance event.
Both events offered great courses, enthusiastic volunteers and good post-race food and unseasonably cold weather for Florida in March.

There were about 400 people that did all three races.

I don't mean this to sound crass but is there really a market for coverage of three events in Florida that had a total of 441 finishers? For reference, that's just slightly bigger than the M40-44 AG at well attended WTC event.

I get your point but I'm not seeing where anyone would be clamoring for coverage of an event(s) of this nature.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he means on Slowtwitch.

ST most definitely has something going on with Ironman. Last year, it happened multiple times that there were great races from Challenge and Ironman on the same day/weekend, but only Ironman events were written about. They cover Roth liberally because it's one the biggest events of the year, so to ignore it would not be in their best interest.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It costs a lot of money to produce coverage for an event. Especially with a triathlon as it is spread out over such a distance. The audience for a smaller event without big names would be so small that it isn't financially viable to do it.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

ST most definitely has something going on with Ironman. Last year, it happened multiple times that there were great races from Challenge and Ironman on the same day/weekend, but only Ironman events were written about. They cover Roth liberally because it's one the biggest events of the year, so to ignore it would not be in their best interest.

There is an odd policy on which IM events get coverage as well. Mens and Womens pro field at the inaugural 70.3 Campeche this weekend. Prize money up for grabs. Plenty of social media coverage. But ST treat it like it didn't happen.

You might almost imagine that they couldn't care less for events with predominantly British and Canadian podiums.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how everyone else here feels, but it looks like there wasn't a pro field, and that's the only reason I'd watch coverage of an event. Your description sounds like it might be a race I want to do, but I'm not sure what good food, enthusiastic volunteers, and cold weather have to do with why I would want to watch a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:

I know. There's still no market for coverage of 150 person event on ST unless there's some extraordinary circumstances... like a Norseman type event or a wacky distance or race or something like that. A 150 person standard distance triathlon event in Nowhere, Florida doesn't exactly scream for excitement. I'm not saying it wasn't a great event but outside of the participants... nobody cares.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 21, 17 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Why is coverage of races almost exclusively devoted to MDot events? [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Plenty of social media coverage. But ST treat it like it didn't happen.

You might almost imagine that they couldn't care less for events with predominantly British and Canadian podiums.

That's not true. They cover lots of almost entirely foreign events. Subic Bay. Abu Dhabi.

I don't think there's a "policy." ST has very limited resources. For race coverage it appears to be basically Timothy Carlson. Maybe sometimes Herbert Krabel (who I thought had left ST?).

Whatever race Tim is able to cover goes up, either ITU, WTC, MDot, Challenge, or whatever. It appears he misses a lot of significant races. But he appears to be equal opportunity in missing races.

That's just my take on it. I'm sure ST would love to assign each race series its own writer. Not sure that works financially.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 21, 17 14:30
Quote Reply