Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hot Tub cracked pipe this winter--insurance?
Quote | Reply
I have a hot tub I bought 7 years ago for $3K.--Money well spent.

MN winter--I went out to find the circuit tripped and it was half empty. Pipe froze and broke.

Call insurance company. They are going to assess--but probably said no go.

Im not in a place to buy a new one ($5-10K). If insurance does not cover it, I'll turn the area into an outside bar and get a new one in a year or two.

Pool company said they can get insurance to cover it. They will haul it out and inspect it, and handle ins company--they have done this for a friend.

Problem--If they haul it out inspect it, and the insurance company does NOT cover it--I'm sure I will have to pay them for doing it.--I'm guessing about a grand.

Not sure if I should get them involved and risk the $1K to not have a tub? Handle insurance company on my own? Chain saw it, call it a good run, and save for another?

What situations would cause the insurance company to pay? To deny?

I'm guessing circuit tripped, tub got cold and leaked.--it has tripped a few times.

Or just damn cold--couple weekends at -10F, it froze, leaked, and circuit tripped due to low water.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Tub cracked pipe this winter--insurance? [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could fix the pipe yourself…

It's not that hard.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a ton of videos out there on YouTube that talk about how to find and fix a leak in your hot tub lines. The fix is fairly easy to do. If its in the insulating foam, you can cut through it with a butter knife until you reach the crack and do your repair from there. That foam is fairly inexpensive at Home Depot for when you need to reapply after the fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything can be fixed.

Get a new pool company or post an ad on CL for hot tub repair (don't pay till it is working).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine leaked a few years ago. I got tired of dealing with it and we were about to have our first kids so I took a reciprocating saw to it. Loved using it but got tired of replacing the cover. Where it was located people kept sitting on it and the cover would break.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Disclaimer: things can be different in your state and I am not looking at a copy of your specific policy.

Insurance isn't going to help you. Your hot tub is personal property, not a part of the dwelling itself. In the majority of policies, personal property is not covered for damage from freezing.

Problem 2. Even if you got them to consider the hot tub as part of the dwelling, the pipe itself is generally not covered for freezing. A typical freezing claim is a pipe in the house that freezes, bursts and floods the house. The water damage to the house and contents of the house is covered, the pipe is not. You would be stuck with the cost to repair the pipe itself in the this hypothetical claim. Typically this cost is peanuts as they already have to replace the wall it blew water all over.

Your hot tub didn't get damaged from the leaky pipe, the only issue with the hot tub is the pipe itself. So in my experience you are SOL for insurance.

Not to mention you have a deductible on your home insurance of at least $500, maybe more, so your recovery on the repair may not be great.

Also there is the little considered fact of claim frequency that most people are not aware of. Most insurance companies will "non-renew" a policy if there are too many claims in a certain time span, even if the claims are not that big. Once you are non-renewed, it is hard to get new insurance and once you get it, it is expensive.

Example: Insured has a toilet hose break, does $1,500 worth of damage to bathroom. 6 months later insured has pipe freeze and does $110k worth of damage. Insurance company sees two claims in one year and non-renews. Now you are shopping for insurance with two recent claims, one huge, and a non-renewal. Home insurance triples in cost for new policy. Insured would have been better off not turning in the $1,500 claim since with his deductible his recovery was a measly $1,000.

I don't see insurance buying you a new tub because of one leaky pipe even if they did cover it. They would likely just fix the pipe. Get on CL and find a hot tub repair person, pay for it out of pocket.

Also good luck. I got a "free" hot tub from my parents. They paid some schmo $450 to fix the leaks before they gave it to me. He "fixed" it three times and it still leaks. I am at the point of deciding if I try again with a new repair guy to fix a 15 year old tub, or if I just scrap it and buy a new one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I had a hot tub that needed to be repaired, the repair guy came out to my house. Not sure why you would go through the effort to unhook everything and have a crew to haul it to a shop, then haul it back and hook everything back up... Or did I read that wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Tub cracked pipe this winter--insurance? [lisac957] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, read it right.

They were supposed to pick it up a month ago. Was too muddy. Oddly picked it up today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did they pick it up?
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Tub cracked pipe this winter--insurance? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit late on the conversation, but I'm the service manager for a swimming pool/hot tub retailer. I would have had you fill the tub the day the crew was to come out so it could be visually inspected (dyeing water blue helps) where the leaks were coming from. Bringing tubs back for repair is very rare, granted Tennessee freezes aren't as bad as in Minnesota. In my experience, unless the jet pumps have freeze damage it isn't worth it to file a claim assuming the insurance company will cover it. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.

I have a call out to them, and my insurance guy.

Stopped at 2 other pool places today, they all had tubs in that had leaks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why did they pick it up vs fixing at your house? As others have noted, it is a hassle to unhook everything, truck it to another location, repair it, haul it back to your house, hook it back up.
Quote Reply
Re: Hot Tub cracked pipe this winter--insurance? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is still below freezing here.

I called and they are not fixing anything, just giving me an estimate.
Quote Reply