Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
Forever bike. LOL. good one, you almost got me with that one.
I remember when ti came in and everyone came up with the forever bike concept.
Hell, why would anyone want a forever bike? I mean we live in a technologically galloping time. Improvements we can't even imagine, are just around the corner. Disc or rim brakes are the current question, but next week it will be some other upgrade or advancement and you, along with the rest of us, will be clamouring for it.
Your new bike will be a 5 year bike at best. Get used to that. Buy whatever suits your needs, ride it for 5 years, then put it on the Kickr and buy a new bike for the road. Repeat as necessary.

Sigh...I have a 30 year old road bike that I still ride regularly, AND has modern equipment on it (brand new wheels as of last week, new compact crankset, etc.)

Prior to that, I had an aluminum Soloist that I had been riding for OVER 10 years and the only reason I got a new road bike at the time was that I was offered an awesome deal on something that worked well as BOTH a road bike and TT bike (S5).

When the S5 and Soloist were stolen 2 years ago, I had a local builder make me a custom frame out of steel. I'll damned well ride that thing "forever".

When I was riding the 30 year old bike with nice wheels and tires on it (only possible because "standards" hadn't shifted significantly in that time frame) after the thefts of the Soloist and S5, it became completely clear to me that as long as new technology is compatible with the base frame, you can keep a frameset "alive" for quite a long time AND enjoy technology as it evolves.

When a "step change" is forced though, that's when things start getting limited. Here's a great example: On my current road bike, I'm running the SRAM Hydro R rim brakes. I've found that the hydraulic actuation really DOES keep the "lever feel" and modulation consistent over time.When the eTap hydro setups were announced, there was a conspicuous absence of a Hydro rim brake to go along with the wireless shifting and the updated hydro levers. When I asked the SRAM reps where they were, the response was basically "Rim brakes are old tech...why would we mate new tech with old tech?" And thus, the freezing out of some of the newer tech to the older standard has begun...and Shimano has gone "all in" on discs, and has never even offered a hydraulic rim brake with their newest groups :-/

Anyway, I think your "5 years at best" statement is overly cynical and misguided...but, I'm sure the bike industry loves that attitude in consumers!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
tridork wrote:
Forever bike. LOL. good one, you almost got me with that one.
I remember when ti came in and everyone came up with the forever bike concept.
Hell, why would anyone want a forever bike? I mean we live in a technologically galloping time. Improvements we can't even imagine, are just around the corner. Disc or rim brakes are the current question, but next week it will be some other upgrade or advancement and you, along with the rest of us, will be clamouring for it.
Your new bike will be a 5 year bike at best. Get used to that. Buy whatever suits your needs, ride it for 5 years, then put it on the Kickr and buy a new bike for the road. Repeat as necessary.

Sigh...I have a 30 year old road bike that I still ride regularly, AND has modern equipment on it (brand new wheels as of last week, new compact crankset, etc.)

Prior to that, I had an aluminum Soloist that I had been riding for OVER 10 years and the only reason I got a new road bike at the time was that I was offered an awesome deal on something that worked well as BOTH a road bike and TT bike (S5).

When the S5 and Soloist were stolen 2 years ago, I had a local builder make me a custom frame out of steel. I'll damned well ride that thing "forever".

When I was riding the 30 year old bike with nice wheels and tires on it (only possible because "standards" hadn't shifted significantly in that time frame) after the thefts of the Soloist and S5, it became completely clear to me that as long as new technology is compatible with the base frame, you can keep a frameset "alive" for quite a long time AND enjoy technology as it evolves.

When a "step change" is forced though, that's when things start getting limited. Here's a great example: On my current road bike, I'm running the SRAM Hydro R rim brakes. I've found that the hydraulic actuation really DOES keep the "lever feel" and modulation consistent over time.When the eTap hydro setups were announced, there was a conspicuous absence of a Hydro rim brake to go along with the wireless shifting and the updated hydro levers. When I asked the SRAM reps where they were, the response was basically "Rim brakes are old tech...why would we mate new tech with old tech?" And thus, the freezing out of some of the newer tech to the older standard has begun...and Shimano has gone "all in" on discs, and has never even offered a hydraulic rim brake with their newest groups :-/

Anyway, I think your "5 years at best" statement is overly cynical and misguided...but, I'm sure the bike industry loves that attitude in consumers!

Tom,
I'm with you to some extent. While I say that a bike won't be a forever bike, I should have clarified. Your next bike won't be your best bike forever. The next bike will be your best bike for 5 years, then you will buy a new best bike. Your current bike doesn't get sold, it just goes in the shed with all your other bikes.
Currently I have 12 bikes and it's growing. MY next bike will be a hydraulic disc road bike, then a hydraulic disc tri bike. Then I will have 14 bikes and be eyeing a bigger shed. One of my bikes is a 1974 Healing that I got from the original owner. He got given it by his parents to ride to University back in the day. Eventually it became covered in cobwebs and was about to be thrown out. The only thing that isn't original is the tires. Even the brake blocks are original. It has some very light surface rust. I'm restoring it and will have it as a museum bike/wall hanger.
A buddy of mine has a small bike collection. He focuses on quality more than I do. He has a 1902 something. He keeps it in pristine condition and rides it from time to time on flat group rides. Not bad for a 115 year old bike, with wooden pedals :-)
While my attitude may sound a bit cynical, I suspect if Dan did a survey, the average age of peoples best bike (or most recent bike) would be less than the 5 years I mentioned.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I'd add that the risk of the current disc brake standard(s) changing is higher than the risk of the current rim brake standard changing.

2x

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:

Tom,
I'm with you to some extent. While I say that a bike won't be a forever bike, I should have clarified. Your next bike won't be your best bike forever. The next bike will be your best bike for 5 years, then you will buy a new best bike. Your current bike doesn't get sold, it just goes in the shed with all your other bikes.
Currently I have 12 bikes and it's growing. MY next bike will be a hydraulic disc road bike, then a hydraulic disc tri bike. Then I will have 14 bikes and be eyeing a bigger shed. One of my bikes is a 1974 Healing that I got from the original owner. He got given it by his parents to ride to University back in the day. Eventually it became covered in cobwebs and was about to be thrown out. The only thing that isn't original is the tires. Even the brake blocks are original. It has some very light surface rust. I'm restoring it and will have it as a museum bike/wall hanger.
A buddy of mine has a small bike collection. He focuses on quality more than I do. He has a 1902 something. He keeps it in pristine condition and rides it from time to time on flat group rides. Not bad for a 115 year old bike, with wooden pedals :-)
While my attitude may sound a bit cynical, I suspect if Dan did a survey, the average age of peoples best bike (or most recent bike) would be less than the 5 years I mentioned.

Here's the thing...aside from the extra weight (mostly in the fork...which is replaceable) and the down-tube shifters (which I keep on for simplicity...and "Eroica California" compliance ;-) putting the modern wheels on the 30 year old bike showed me that it's every bit as good as my other "best bikes", and in some ways better (it's still my favorite descending bike). I saw that first hand when I took it out for fast group rides...heck, I even raced a crit last year on it :-)

In any case...if someone is considering (like the OP) having a custom frame built, it most likely will be held onto and used for >5 years. It might not have exactly the same components on it that it had 5 years previously, but that's sort of the point of a "forever bike" ;-) So, in that regard, I fully understand the hesitancy at jumping into discs for a road bike due to the still unsettled nature of the format...and who knows if it will EVER be "settled".

For a "forever bike" that will only be ridden on the road as the OP describes...yeah, rim brakes all the way. Like I said earlier, with judicious selection of brakes and rims, you won't be giving up any performance anyway to the other brake technology. Save the disc brakes for a bike that you intend to ride in conditions that require tire sizes 32mm wide (mounted measurement) or greater.

Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
I'd add that the risk of the current disc brake standard(s) changing is higher than the risk of the current rim brake standard changing.

2x

In terms of the wheel-brake interface, sure. In terms of the brake-frame interface, that's been pretty fluid. There's direct-mount. Except SRAM doesn't have one yet.

Then there's increasing use of completely proprietary rim brakes. I could probably list off a dozen or more. Venge ViAS. Madone 9.9. Speed Concept. Etc.

There's one thing on my list for a TT bike that falls below disc brakes: proprietary rim brakes. After my last two TT bikes having them, I'm done. Well I may not have a choice for the rear brake if I want a high-end bike, but I can still at least get a standard front brake on a really good frame.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 21, 17 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you already made your decision ... go rim brake.

• The reality, as has been said already, rim brakes are not going anywhere any time soon.
  • Are disc brakes becoming more common? Yes.
  • Will they become the standards on road bikes? Yes ... but it's a ways away. Will the current standards stay the same? not likely.
  • Do "You" need them? Doesn't sound like it.

Myself ... I likely won't every buy a bike with rim brakes again, but then I live in the Pacific Northwest and the winters suck and during the summer it's easy to get caught in some rain at times. If you lived here, I'd say disc brakes hands down ... most people I know are moving that direction quickly as I see disc brake equipped bikes everywhere now.

I also just purchased a new TCR Advanced Pro Disc as my solo road bike and will be getting ride of my rim brake Scott Foil and Disc brake cross bike (that has been used as a winter bike/commuter).

In the end ... get what makes you happy, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the widest tire you will put on the bike?

Bigger than 30c go for the dick brakes, under that stick with rim-job.

There is no forever bike.....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [tri-tele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri-tele wrote:
What's the widest tire you will put on the bike?

Bigger than 30c go for the dick brakes, under that stick with rim-job.

There is no forever bike.....

Dick brakes and rim-jobs...I think you may have things other than triathlon on your mind, friend. :)
Last edited by: niccolo: Mar 21, 17 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying you can't get etap with hydraulic discs or am I missing something ? Note in the mtb I am yet to see a good way to convert the wheels to boost, a lot of mtb people not happy with that standard.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
Are you saying you can't get etap with hydraulic discs or am I missing something ? Note in the mtb I am yet to see a good way to convert the wheels to boost, a lot of mtb people not happy with that standard.

The etap hydro discs aren't available until July(ish) for the general public.

Blacky wrote:

They have the hydraulic e-tap shifters listed on SRAM's website ... so, you should be able to get them if you want them. Also, Giant is selling their top of the line TCR with e-tap and disc brakes, so they are available.

Whether you can find them for sale not already on a bike may be questionable ... they do have them.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm already riding them, thus my confusion. I just assumed they were available to everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
I'm already riding them, thus my confusion. I just assumed they were available to everyone.

I'm assuming you purchased a complete bike with them? According to SRAM, they will release the groupset in July - I emailed them because my custom frame is specced for etap and I couldn't get it.

Yes, on a venge. For what it is worth I think the shimano system is better, unless you really don't like wires, which was the case with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
Yes, on a venge. For what it is worth I think the shimano system is better, unless you really don't like wires, which was the case with me.

Yeah, I don't want the wires - I'm curious why you prefer the shimano system? It seems the vast majority of people prefer etap.

It seems the front shifting and trimming is much better on shimano. The rear is fine just a little slower. I also now have 4 batteries not one, although that is what makes etap so clean not having the junction box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought 2015 Specialized Roubaix with disc brake... had a lot of fun with it, then I realized my bike is much heavier than all my cycling mates.... like by 5-10 pounds.

I switched to Specialized Tarmac with Durace rim brake, lost 10 pounds. So much faster on hill climbs now.

Unless you ride routinely in the rain, I can't recommend disc brakes (yet...until they get lighter). Just my personal opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Shiv88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way 5-10 pounds came from disc brakes.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Agreed. The disc brake weight penalty is around .5-.75 pounds.

Shiv88 wrote:
I bought 2015 Specialized Roubaix with disc brake... had a lot of fun with it, then I realized my bike is much heavier than all my cycling mates.... like by 5-10 pounds.

I switched to Specialized Tarmac with Durace rim brake, lost 10 pounds. So much faster on hill climbs now.

Unless you ride routinely in the rain, I can't recommend disc brakes (yet...until they get lighter). Just my personal opinion.

Quoted for how hilarious this is.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feedback to the OP.
1. You can't currently get ETap with hydraulics.
2. Discs are more consistent and have better modulation than rim brakes. However, I agree rim brakes work great in the vast majority of road situations.
3. Carbon rims (especially clinchers) with rim brakes has never been a great setup. Discs and carbon rims makes a lot more sense to me.
4. If you're going to get discs, get thru-axles. Not a deal killer, but recommended.
5. Maintenance is more difficult with discs. Rotor clearance is tiny in discs. As a result, disc brakes can be a bit finicky to set up and very small amounts of runout in the rotor can result in mild rubbing. Also, bleeding brakes isn't hard but it does need to be done occasionally.
6. Flat mount seems to be the evolving standard but there are a hell of a lot of post mount bikes out there. Mountain bikes still primarily use post mount and SRAM doesn't even make flat mount calipers yet. I'd get flat mount if I had the choice on a new bike but you shouldn't have problems either way.
7. Forget about the idea of a "forever bike". You're always going to want a new bike. Get the bike you want right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I think you've gone the opposite direction on that...from what I've seen, it's more like .75 - 1 lb. at the system level in a true "apples to apples" comparison.

Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Feedback to the OP.
1. You can't currently get ETap with hydraulics.
2. Discs are more consistent and have better modulation than rim brakes. However, I agree rim brakes work great in the vast majority of road situations.
3. Carbon rims (especially clinchers) with rim brakes has never been a great setup. Discs and carbon rims makes a lot more sense to me.
4. If you're going to get discs, get thru-axles. Not a deal killer, but recommended.
5. Maintenance is more difficult with discs. Rotor clearance is tiny in discs. As a result, disc brakes can be a bit finicky to set up and very small amounts of runout in the rotor can result in mild rubbing. Also, bleeding brakes isn't hard but it does need to be done occasionally.
6. Flat mount seems to be the evolving standard but there are a hell of a lot of post mount bikes out there. Mountain bikes still primarily use post mount and SRAM doesn't even make flat mount calipers yet. I'd get flat mount if I had the choice on a new bike but you shouldn't have problems either way.
7. Forget about the idea of a "forever bike". You're always going to want a new bike. Get the bike you want right now.

If you get HEDs with the turbine brake track you don't give up anything on disc brakes... I have ardennes blacks on my Caad12 and my wife has JET 6+ Blacks on her AR4. The braking is amazing on these wheels. and you don't really give up anything on weight or aero. And you can't even tell they are ALU wheels.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Buying new road bike: need disc vs rim brake advice. I know this subject has been beaten to death but hear me out [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I think you've gone the opposite direction on that...from what I've seen, it's more like .75 - 1 lb. at the system level in a true "apples to apples" comparison.

I think we're saying the same thing, at least I meant to. From my comparisons, disc brake bikes are around .5 to .75 pounds more in weight. Likely a full pound if you go with 160mm rotors front and back. IMO, you actually do have to have 160mm rotors F/B to actually get the best braking from discs.

hiro11 wrote:
Feedback to the OP.

re 4 - better yet, a drop out system that will accommodate both. This is something I wish my custom ti frame had incorporated (I'd probably go with Paragon Polydrops if buying today).

re 6 - yes, but much like rim brakes being available for years to come, the MTB use of post mount, and ready availability of adapters for virtually every configuration of past mtb disc 'standard' tells me that it's unlikely a buyer will be orphaned by obsolescence in the near future.

7 is the key. Buy what you want now. Something better will come out next week, next month, or next year, guaranteed. Waiting just means you miss time riding your dream bike.
Quote Reply

Prev Next