Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stages Power Meter? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Buy a SRM off eBay and you will be worry free, seems like you can find a Shimano one with 7900 rings that works fine with 11sp for that price. It's well worth it.

This is the answer. I see 2nd hand Shimano SRM PM's going for around $700. Great deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [cbr shadow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x Whatever on not getting a Stages. I had the DA 9000 version for about a year mid 2013 to mid 2014.

It was terrible. It literally worked half the time. I know because I kept a log that I sent to Stages tech support detailing the problems. I had to send it back twice for replacement. I think I finally sold the last replacement and moved on. Signal drop offs and battery drain happened more often than not. I used it for two Ironman races and it didn't work at all for one and worked for about half the other. Training rides were a mixed bag.

Maybe things have gotten better but I still read a lot about signal dropoffs.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is based on my experience only. I have three power meters, all from different brands. A C1 from powertap, a 4iii Precision and a Stages. The Stages power meter was sent for repair once, got replaced by the Gen2 and I still struggle with battery drain. The battery lasts for like two weeks maximum.

My fellow ST friends, please don't say I never update the thing, it is updated with the latest firmware and I still have the battery draining issue. The stages support is let's say "attentive", but they say now that the unit is working as expected... and comparing with my other power meters, draining the battery every two weeks is not something I would consider "working as expected". If I were you, I would buy anything else but stages. Or you may be at risk to buy a headache instead of something to improve your ride. Good luck!

I really like the C1 as well as the Precision. The C1 has compatibility requirements (check carefully), but offer you the left/right balance analysis as a plus. Precision is left only, with the limitations of that approach.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [cristianoag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the one I bought last year for $359 (New). I haven't paired it with my 920XT, but it's never dropped anything - paired with my 510 (mounted between the AB's of my P2). I'll probably change the battery before my first event, but the original is still working just fine. I guess I should probably check to see if there's an update for it, too.....lol.

My success with this unit may be an outlier (who knew?). I also (almost exclusively) use it as "A" pacing tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased two Stages PMs last year for my wife and I and they work great. Never had a problem and the power readings are not far off from my powertap hub. I go a couple of months without having to change the battery and upload the rides easily to my Garmin 510. Several friends in the area also have one and have been very happy with it. The earlier version was a bit of trouble, I've heard, but the most recent version is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbr shadow wrote:
I'm looking to buy a power meter for my road bike that I also use for duathlon and TT.
Several of the people on my group rides use Stages and like them, so I'm leaning towards that. I'm sure there are "better" power meters out there but it looks like they cost more. Is stages the best "value"?

I see I can get the Stages Dura Ace 9000 172.5 for $550-$600 range if I find a good deal on sale online.

My needs are:
1) Use this to compare Computrainer power
2) Use this to pace my TT and duathlons
3) Track power on my outdoor and group rides.

I have stages for last 3 years on my cyclocross bike, no issues at all, I did try on TT bike it worked fine... Battery drain is most likley due to battery door not sealing properly and moisture accumulation inside. I took silicone grease and applied all over the rubber ring, I have no issues at all, battery last for a full season.
This power meter was submerged not once, covered in mud, takes massive beating and it is still going strong.

I also have PowerTap P1, Garmin Vectors and PowerTap wheel, I would never take Vectors and P1 for CX race, they are simply to nice and delicate.

It all depends what you are using your power meter for, if just for simple pacing stages might be fine, but there are much better options on the market now.

Would I buy Stages again? For CX bike yes/maybe (I would try to get Pioneer), for road and TT no.

For training: dual leg power meter like Vectors, P1s, Pioneer, are much better an provide very valuable feedback on your pedal stroke, you can really increase your efficient quickly based on that feedback.

P1 are great for TTs, but way to thick for road races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Stages is barely three years old and only worked for all of about 5 weeks in 2016. It was in the shop more than it wasn't, and when it was sent back to Stages for repair it took months to get it back.
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a Stages for at least 3 years...maybe 4. Really no problems and very consistent numbers IMO. Had to replace battery door once when I popped off a tab - my fault. My wife has had one for two years. Absolutely flawless. Each paired with Garmin Edge 500 on extensions. No complaints, good battery life, has been excellent training/racing tool, would do it again. Both my legs visibly still appear to be the same size...

I wanted to try 165mm cranks on my tri bike and went with a Power2Max - not because I didn't want a Stages again, it's just the P2Max had full GXP 165mm crankset package at decent price as mentioned above. It's been working flawlessly and numbers seem very similar to Stages based perceived exertion and comparison to similar workouts - FTP test within few watts. The only difference I've noticed is the "accuracy" metric Trainer Road shows during the workouts is significantly higher with the P2Max than the Stages by a factor of around 2x which has gotta be a one side vs two side phenomena I'm betting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had three stages, two Quarqs and a Powertap Hub on different bikes. I have had no issue with any of the Stages and recommend them over the other options because of price. I find little to no benefit of both leg power after you see it the first few times. I find it varies very little. I am on a XL Felt IA with my Garmin 810 mounted between the extensions on top of a X-Lab Torpedo....pretty much worse case scenario distance-wise.
Last edited by: Greatzaa: Mar 21, 17 21:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have been training with a stages for year and a half, battery last around 1000km or so and I never get drop outs with my edge 510, but with my fenix 3 connection is really poor, but don't really know if it's a stages or fenix issue. Dad got a pioneer left leg pm a year ago and haven't change the battery since, and says it works pretty good, so also a good option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a stages Ultegra 6800 for I think..... four years now.... I did send back the 1st one about a year into its life as it died (I believe the same well covered problem of the battery door not sealing properly). However, since then I've had no issues with the replacement. I love that I can just swap between my roadie and race bike with ease, I'll change the battery every now and then but I honestly cant put a finger on how often (so must not be terribly frequently). I've got it paired it to a Garmin 500 and ANT+ FOB on my laptop (trainerroad) and don't have any drop out issues (that I can easily see) on either bike. Its one of the best (and economical) training tool investments I've made.

As a note I do 100% of my training rides indoors so the stages does seem 'limited' outdoor exposure (basically race day).

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of the original DA Stages and would get drops in the beginning when using my 910 and 500. Once i went to the 520 never had another drop and keep my 520 about 3" from the end of my aero bars.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Stages Power Meter? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you are probably banging your head without a straight answer, but I'll offer my Stages experience.
Di2 9000 170mm crank arm and been using Stages for about 4-5 months. I know there are a number of factors that effect power numbers, but my general experience has been that Stages reports 25-30w lower than other sources (at most efforts).

I took a 20min FTP last Autumn on a Computrainer+Quarq on a road bike and had 236w. After about 3 months of pretty consistent training, I re-tested on some different products. Tacx Neo + Stages on a Trek SC and Wattbike at work. Stages said 188w FTP (though maybe I was tired?) and I was so upset that I re-tested on my work Wattbike 2 days later at got 246w. My guess is the Neo is in between b/c I've been training at 213w FTP for the past month and it seems more realistic.

When I do intervals on the Neo and track Stages on my Garmin, it consistently is 25-30w lower at power ranges of 180-220w. At 120w or below is pretty consistent with the Neo.

If I had a choice, i would go with a dual side power meter option. My old Quarq Riken is Ant+ only, but I have to say that it's been pretty consistent. Also, heard good things about Power2Max. If Stages is the ONLY thing you know or use and it's consistent, then it's a pretty good affordable option.
Quote Reply

Prev Next