Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: The Salvation -- A Western that makes me say skip the Spaghetti, have the Danish -- Netflix
Quote | Reply
A proper review will have to await Slowguy -- assuming he has Netflix, but in the interim:

This movie is shades of The Outlaw Josey Wales, Unforgiven, High Plains Drifter, There Will Be Blood (a little), Once Upon a Time in the West (a little and much shorter), and Taken (a little). More brutal (though not necessarily more bloody) than most of those, but with a sub-plot involving an interesting woman too. (TOJW had a heroine too, but this one is different.) Intense with interesting cinematography.

With a Danish director, and featuring Danish star (Mads Mikkelsen), French heroine (Eva Green -- not in her most pretty role), American really-bad guy (Jeffrey Dean Morgan), the movie was filmed in South Africa. Pacing, plot, acting, filming, and cast were excellent. Well done.

I had never heard of this movie till I saw it as new release on Netflix this evening. A classic Western IMO. From Rotten Tomatoes (71%): "It's all but impossible to add anything new or fresh to the traditional Western, but -- thanks in no small part to Mads Mikkelson's performance -- The Salvation comes close."

Great role and supporting performance from Danish actor Mikael Persbrandt, as brother of Mads Mikkelsen, who seemed to me to be sort of a Danish Sam Elliott, but more hard core.

The movie is primarily in English but has Danish with English subtitles in the beginning. And given the early plot, subtitles were necessary to make a key scene work.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply