Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's Toughman's deal?
Quote | Reply
Are they trying to compete with Ironman or just be a grassroots type race?

Raced a Toughman Race this weekend and was pretty letdown.
-Course Maps were awful, I emailed the Race Director about Bike Course elevation and he replied "Flat and Flatter"......the race had over 2k of climbing
-Short Swim, like half a mile short
-Small Water Bottles on the bike course, with no lid.
-Literally could have walked right out of transition with one of the Pro's bikes and no one would have noticed.

The list goes on but I don't want to complain too much, although this is the place to do it. All in all it was great to get out and race.
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

In the least, they need some help with their website, to update information. Within the past couple of weeks, I've seen promotion by Toughman on my Facebook feed, but noticed that there wasn't any registration or further information about Toughman Washington.

Well, digging into their website today, I see that the race is still listed... and then when I follow a registration link, I find that it's been cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a race last year, Toughman Indiana, and it was in Noblesville for the first time after moving locations so I think that threw a lot of issues into the mix there. I was steered wrong on the first bike turn, first out of the water (no brag intended!) but part of that is on me for not knowing course but there were cops at the intersection but they didn't seem aware of anything yet. They had a lack of volunteers so most aid stations on the run weren't manned the first lap of the run. It seemed a bit unorganized but for the race I think the big issue is it was a new event and they didn't have the volunteers needed for the race. That race is not part of Toughman anymore but I do plan on giving it another go because it was a good course and is a good May half in the midwest.

But I will say that the RD was VERY responsive before the event when I emailed a few questions and after I finished we spoke and he was very concerned and interested in what they could do better.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming that's the race in ocean shores, Washington. There were very few competitors in the half iron distance race and the weather was very bad. Lots of rain and high winds. I'm not surprised it was cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to other races, but I want to share a quick word of support for Richard Izzo and the Toughman Championship race in NY. We need more options like this. Let's be constructive!
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
I can't speak to other races, but I want to share a quick word of support for Richard Izzo and the Toughman Championship race in NY. We need more options like this. Let's be constructive!

agreed, i did the NY toughman in 2015, my experience was very positive and this race in general seems to be very well-run and well-received by the community.
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea why it's not a toughman-branded race anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton84 wrote:
Any idea why it's not a toughman-branded race anymore?

100% up to the RD

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No clue! It was on the schedule up until about a moth ago when I got an email asking to sign up for the race but it was under a different name.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a point of clarification:

America Multi-Sport produced the Toughman Indiana from 2013-2015 in Richmond, Indiana with an amazing race team of local triathletes and could not have asked for a better event for athletes, volunteers and families.

The 2016 race was produced by another completely different company in Noblesville and we had nothing to do with their operations.

In 2017; we will host America's Half in Muncie, Indiana on June 10 and it will be another amazing event.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: What's Toughman's deal? [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I knew it changed hands and have heard nothing but amazing things about your races! I just wish the half was still late May. June 10th is my one year anniversary and don't think the wife would really be happy with spending it tracking my on course!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply