Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Frame Check after Crash
Quote | Reply
I was in a bike accident and need to get my frame checked for a potential claim. Two shops have essentially told me it's really hard to do with a carbon fiber frame. They will not guarantee it may not have some structural issue that may be there now as a result of the crash. According to them it SEEMS okay.

One of the LBS referred me to who they use for frame repair. For a fee they do an ultrasonic scan... but even they will not guarantee the frame is okay after they do their frame scan. I'm familiar with cars getting totaled... how exactly does that happen for bikes/frames?

Initially I was thinking my frame was okay but after getting my frame "looked at", calling and talking to various people, I'm not getting the warm n' fuzzies.

I have a couple chips nothing crazy on the frame, no cracks that I can see, etc.

TIA for any advice or experience here. The bike frame is a first generation Trek Speed Concept.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Frame Check after Crash [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like your bike is fine. It's much easier to assess a damaged frame than a perfectly good one. Probably best to have the manufacturer assess it. If they won't give it a clean bill of health you should get a new frame. I suspect most of the larger bike manufacturers have X-ray machines to examine frames.
Quote Reply