Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tacx neo settings and freehub
Quote | Reply
Hello!
I was just wondering what settings and apps everyone is using to get the best feel out of their neo?
Different programs seem to control it differently, at the moment my neo doesn't feel as smooth as my lemond.

I've found currently the -0.5 slope on the tacx app seems to feel ok, the only problem is in end up quite far down the cassette and seems to increase grinding of the cassette (I suspect this is because I run 1x chainring and don't have a good chainline to the bottom sprockets, coupled with needing to point the bike to the right to stop the chainstay hitting the neo)

Secondly, has anyone opened up the hub etc, and re-lubed it to make it smoother? The freehub pawl engagement seems very very clunky.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo settings and freehub [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
Hello!
I was just wondering what settings and apps everyone is using to get the best feel out of their neo?

The tablet app set up for TT bike with a -.5 slope is about as much like a TT bike inertia as you'll get.
Tacx has reduced the simulated inertia for ERG mode to the point where it's not that road like.

Tom_Hughes wrote:
needing to point the bike to the right to stop the chainstay hitting the neo)

Is your unit a pre 2017? I'd feel really uneasy about having to cant the bike to prevent the chain stay from touching and would consider using an old cheapy frame set up with the proper bodily touch points.

Tom_Hughes wrote:
Secondly, has anyone opened up the hub etc, and re-lubed it to make it smoother? The freehub pawl engagement seems very very clunky.

I wonder if the angling of the frame in the Neo is causing the excess freehub noise. My Neo is incredibly quite. One can't hear a thing with a fan running.

Good luck,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Neo with Trainerroad...in ERG mode with Power Match enabled (with SRM).

Have not taken freehub apart.

Mine is quiet too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually took it off and lubed it - did not even require taking the caseette off ... but i did not see much difference
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo settings and freehub [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
I think my biggest issue has been chain line and a grinding drive chain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean you need to ride at -0.5% grade for a realistic feel? I just got on my Neo for the first time (using their free training app on my iPhone) and training with slope 0.0% feels like Im riding through sand. I had to go to about -1.0% to feel like Im out on the road. Also in a 'power mode' workout my power is way lower than on my Computrainer.

-
"It's nice to be great, but far greater to be nice"
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo settings and freehub [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That doesn't sound right!
Possibly a drivechain issue?

The neo will likely be giving you the correct power it's very accurate on this, so the computrainer was probably over-reading
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo settings and freehub [yoe400800] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you sort this?

Does anyone else find their neo is super sensitive to drivechain cleanliness and condition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_Hughes wrote:
Did you sort this?

Does anyone else find their neo is super sensitive to drivechain cleanliness and condition?

Tom, can you expand on your question? Since the Neo becomes just like a regular bike when the rear dropouts are securely clamped in I'm having a hard time seeing how it might behave differently unless perhaps the freehub wobbled around. Mine seems to shift just fine when adjusted properly. I have noted the effect of a slow loss of chain lubrication over time as my unit matches my Power2max power meter to with a single watt with a clean fresh chain and reads ~ 4 watts lower than the Power2max at 200 watts when the chain has 800 or more miles on it. Then it's back to reading just the same after a rewax job. At first I thought either the Neo was drifting or the Power2max was until I finally noticed they always go back into near perfect sync with a freshly waxed chain. It certainly drove home the value of a well lubed chain.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Tacx neo settings and freehub [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hugh,
What I mean is the feeling of sponginess, like a worn drivechain when the chain gets a little dirty and gunked up.
It seems very sensitive to it, or maybe it's just me!
Quote Reply