Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't give a shit about "interactive driver road feel" I think that's what you called it? I'm only interested in going as fast as I can whith what I got.
And on the contrary...I have ridden some of the lightest wheels in the world. However, doing my favorite loops around Bourg d'Oisans... riding outside Cat climbs...I still wouldn't be interested in riding them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that you've changed the criteria:

I've raced an almost identical set to these with good results (just slightly over 1400g in 20/24, can get rims and hubs from bikehubstore as well)
http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Road%20Wheel%20Kit%20I.asp

These are an excellent set of wheels in 20/24 spoke. 1485g. I would happily race these tubeless in any road race, hill climb or crit and would train on them every day. Hard to find a better alloy rim wheel without paying $300 extra for for high-zoot hubs. I don't trust braking on any carbon rim so these are as good as it gets.
http://www.bdopcycling.com/DIY%20Alloy%20Road%20Wheel%20Kit%20III.asp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must admit, that's a hell of a price. Be interested to find out the long-term reviews.

For me the go-to wheel at that weight has been the Shimano DA C24 clinchers. I love them to death but even at PBK on sale, they're usually around twice that price
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 23, 17 22:52
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting links...do you know anyone that has purchased from them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, if you willing to go tubular, I have and old pair of Reynolds KoM wheels. Hubs are DT240s with Reynolds logo, 14/17 db spokes, very shallow rims. Maybe 1500 miles on them... Just taking up space. PM me if interested.

Edited to add weight. just under 1kg. 10sp hubs
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Mar 24, 17 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the offer... Tubluer is one of the things I did not want to do this go around. I am not going tubeless for kind of the same reason-- non-messy, easy, consistent with everything else I have. That way, I could easily swap these wheels over to my tri bike and not have to change out the flat kit (or vise versa with my tri wheels on this bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDOP is a reputable company.

Kinlin rims are excellent and fantastic value. Cant' recommend them enough. Built a couple of sets of wheels with the XC279 and TB25 and they are among my favorite wheels.

I personally don't like CX-rays on the rear, needs to be a super-strong rim to make a good build, but they should work for a strong rim.

Novatec hubs are good value for the price. I've built wheels with bitex and Novatec hubs, most have been good but I've had two defective fronts and a slightly wobbly rear out of maybe 12 hubs. Replacing the bearings didn't help so I presume it was shell diameter out of tolerance.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before on the internet and in each case a us distributor got online and claimed it was impossible and that QC was just as good as premium brands. That's a buncha hooey. You pay for what you get.
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thread update... I ended up finding a pair of Vuelta Corsa Race wheels for $275. Vuelta's website advertises them at 1,365g. I weighed them at 1,500g including skewers and tape. They are 1.4 lbs. lighter than the wheels I am replacing. I cannot wait to ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the weight without the skewers and rim tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some sub 1300g wheelsets on ebay for not that much. I was able to find 2 pairs of AC Sprint 350 wheels that were under 1300g when paired with veloplugs.
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What is the weight without the skewers and rim tape?
Unfortunately, I only weighed them complete, so I do not know. Now they are mounted and ready to ride.
BMANX wrote:
There are some sub 1300g wheelsets on ebay for not that much. I was able to find 2 pairs of AC Sprint 350 wheels that were under 1300g when paired with veloplugs.
I only saw one set of AC Sprint 350 wheels on eBay in the past month or so, and those were setup for a Campy cassette. I really like them, but they are rare on eBay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were a fair number of Kinlin XR200 that have a weight of 1260g and list at about $250
Quote Reply
Re: Economical ~1,400g Clincher Road Wheelset [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well rats. I wish you had posted in this thread earlier. I would have given them a hard look. My eBay search did not pick them up, because I had excluded sellers located outside the U.S.
Quote Reply

Prev Next