Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thinner Front Wheel Rim than Back Wheel Rim - Does it matter?
Quote | Reply
I've always raced on the cheap stock wheels that came with my racing bike when I purchased it a few years ago - looking to upgrade to a decent set of race wheels. I already have a great bike fit from a fitter at my bike shop and have the aero helmet, so I figured the next upgrade will be wheels.

Right now I'm in college and simply don't have the money to shell out more than $350-400 at the absolute most on name brand ZIPPs or similar wheelsets.

I've googled a bit on the carbon wheels shipping out of China on eBay and they seem to be pretty reliable and well built. Just one question though... There's two different options I'm stuck on now. 60mm front and 88mm rear, and 88mm both front and rear wheels. I've noticed that a lot of people run a thinner depth in regards to the rims up front than they do in the rear.

The 88mm for front and back is only $10 more expensive. Should I go with that option, or go 60 front and 88 rear? Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Thinner Front Wheel Rim than Back Wheel Rim - Does it matter? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to Flo website for an explanation. But generally speaking, deeper will be faster if you can handle it well enough. Wind impacts front wheel greater so many choose a more shallow wheel up front to make handling easier
Quote Reply
Re: Thinner Front Wheel Rim than Back Wheel Rim - Does it matter? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going from only ever riding a 32mm deep rim since I started in the sport four years ago, would I be in for a big shock going to 60/88? Tough to handle?
Last edited by: C_Hassard: Mar 17, 17 19:24
Quote Reply
Re: Thinner Front Wheel Rim than Back Wheel Rim - Does it matter? [C_Hassard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. I made that jump a few years back. You should be fine with a 60 up front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C_Hassard wrote:
Going from only ever riding a 32mm deep rim since I started in the sport four years ago, would I be in for a big shock going to 60/88? Tough to handle?

In my experience, almost everyone can handle a 60mm front wheel. Of course that partially depends on the profile shape, but if the shape of the wheel you are looking at is at all modern and the designers have taken yaw torque into consideration, I'd say you'd be fine with that set up. I say this assuming you are a reasonably confident bike handler.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply