Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best road bike wheel set for <$300?
Quote | Reply
For general endurance riding. Wife is in need of a new set.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [cbump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best is subjective

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw a stab out and say the Ultegra 6800 wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cbump wrote:
For general endurance riding. Wife is in need of a new set.

Bought some cheap 32 spoke Velocity Dyad with Shimano LX Hubs. Have been golden. You really don't need fancy wheels. Just wheels that were built to last.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redfox29 wrote:
I'll throw a stab out and say the Ultegra 6800 wheelset.

I'd vote for this. Or perhaps a set of velocity a23's with ultegra hubs. The latter would be heavier given that they're a 32/32 spoke count. But the 23mm wide rims are a nicer ride imho.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had success with Velocity A23s laced to Shimano 105 and Ultegra hubs. Both 36 and 32 holes. Road, cross and gravel rides while weighing about 200 pounds. I have purchased more than one set from online wheel seller Velomine for much less than $300.

As the trend in rims seems to be to go wider I would consider using Kinlin XR31T or Velocity Quill rims next.

David K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a pair of Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels for around $130 with free shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the DT Swiss R 24 Spline as a budget wheel. Shop around, you can get them for a little over $200 shipped from Europe. Be careful to get the newer, 18c (23mm outside width) version, though. Older versions were only 14c.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Wiggle brand Cosine 32mm alloy clinchers for training and they are so far pretty bomb-proof and cost only $277. They are light-weight too for the price, I weighed them at 1480g for the pair. Wouldn't hesitate to buy these again for a training set. Not sure what brand hub they're using, but they're still smooth after ~2 years of use and true as out of the box.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely watching this thread. I am in the process of building a light road bike, and my extra wheels are pigs...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just put Zipp stickers on the stock wheels.

I did just that. I didn't even use 'real' Zipp decals - I bought fake ones off ebay for like $9 or something.

You would never guess how many compliments I got on my wheels after that.

The answer is 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second this. Got a set from Merlin last year and they have been good - wish I bought two! Haven't been able to find them in stock since.

One niggle - after a couple of wet rides the outer bearing in the freehub seized. DT Swiss quickly warrantied it but it happened to the warranty freehub also. I pulled the seal off the bearing, blew out the contaminated grease, re-packed with Park Tool grease, and it's been fine since.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
I'll second this. Got a set [of DT Swiss R 24 Spline wheels] from Merlin last year and they have been good - wish I bought two! Haven't been able to find them in stock since.

One niggle - after a couple of wet rides the outer bearing in the freehub seized. DT Swiss quickly warrantied it but it happened to the warranty freehub also. I pulled the seal off the bearing, blew out the contaminated grease, re-packed with Park Tool grease, and it's been fine since.

You can get them from Bike Discount in Germany for $215 shipped to the US.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-r-24-spline-qr-11s-shimano-wheelset-502768

I have the R 32 Spline, which are a little deeper and ~the same weight, but about $150 more a set at the same retailer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Build yourself a set of Flo 30 wheels. BHS hubs, Sapim Laser spokes. Well under $300

Quote | Reply
few years back i got a pair of vuelta corsa lites from nashbar.com, paid around 220 i think. nashbar has great sales and markdowns, my pair weighs around 1550g, is 30mm deep (semi aero??). i remember when i got them they were a big improvement from the stock bontrager alloys that came on my trek 1.2 (my first road bike, so i'd never ridden anything else). i still use them as training wheelset, theyve probly got about 5000 miles on them, no issues whatsoever.

theres a few models of vuelta wheels on there, and with a good sale you can get a screaming deal. they're quality wheels for the price IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of Titan Forte wheels from PerfBike a year ago. It was like $140 all in, and I have to say that they are damn near indestructible. If you can find a pair of used Aksiums for cheap, they are pretty bombproof as well.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on the Ultegras.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
Build yourself a set of Flo 30 wheels. BHS hubs, Sapim Laser spokes. Well under $300

Yep best low cost solution.

Or Kinlin rims from BHS with their hubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you finding a pair of Flo rims cheap enough to be built into a less than $300 wheelset? Thanks. David K.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Responding to my own question. I easily found Flo 30s for $80 on Flo's website. Not sure why I could not find them before I posted.

On a related note, I am having a set of track wheels built using 24 hole Kinlin XR31TS (disc specific, no brake track) rims I found for $40 each a few weeks ago. Hoping for a stout and stealth aero training wheelset.

DK
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you can beat Nashbar, they have 37mm deep Vuelta's for $95 (with discount code) for a set! Insane deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
I don't think you can beat Nashbar, they have 37mm deep Vuelta's for $95 (with discount code) for a set! Insane deal......

....if you don't mind old-school skinny rims.

Quote Reply
Re: Best road bike wheel set for <$300? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
I don't think you can beat Nashbar, they have 37mm deep Vuelta's for $95 (with discount code) for a set! Insane deal......

....if you don't mind old-school skinny rims.

Good point, guess I'm old school :)
Quote Reply