Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sanremo , Disc brakes
Quote | Reply
Does anyone attack this weekend on the Poggio on a disc brake bike and try and hold a gap on the way down ?

Of course someone with good descending skills to start with who can really push the advantage of disc brakes on the way down the other side.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanremo , Disc brakes [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanremo , Disc brakes [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orbilius wrote:
What?

The Poggio descent is quite technical, requires a lot of braking. The better the braking system (modulation, mostly), the later you can brake before a turn. The later you brake, the faster your overall descent time.

If disc brakes are significantly better at braking, in theory, someone could descend faster with them, assuming all else is equal.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 17, 17 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Sanremo , Disc brakes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Poggio descent is quite technical, requires a lot of braking. The better the braking system (modulation, mostly), the later you can brake before a turn. The later you brake, the faster your overall descent time.

Possibly true for MSR. However, FWIW - the three break-away riders, who went on to be the top-3, and who had to risk the most on the descent of the Poggio, were all on rim-break bikes!

I was not paying close attention but I did see a couple of the Cannodale-Drapec riders on disc brake wheels.

From the finish-line pic here - http://www.steephill.tv/...an-san-remo/#spoiler it looks like Sagan was on a new ('17) Specialized Venge Vias, Kwiatowski a Pinarello Dogma F10, and Aliphillipe either last year's Venge or a Tarmac ( Hard to tell).

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 18, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Does anyone attack this weekend on the Poggio on a disc brake bike and try and hold a gap on the way down ?

Of course someone with good descending skills to start with who can really push the advantage of disc brakes on the way down the other side.

The premise is faulty.

First, the performance of disc brakes vs. what the pros have to use otherwise isn't a performance difference maker on that descent. Why do you think many of them say "we don't need discs"?

Secondly, there's nearly 3k of fast flat to the finish after the descent where aero is king. How quickly we forget Cancellara attacking on the flat on his Cervelo Soloist w/Zipp 808s and soloing for the win. That was the day he said "808s are the new 404s", and "It was like I was on a TT bike compared to the others."

It's key to note that Sagan chose a Venge ViAS for this race (he mostly races on a Tarmac, it seems)...and didn't pick the disc version either :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sanremo , Disc brakes [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Sagan said he won't use discs until everyone is one them as he does not think it is safe with different braking ability in the peloton ?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanremo , Disc brakes [Blacky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blacky wrote:
I thought Sagan said he won't use discs until everyone is one them as he does not think it is safe with different braking ability in the peloton ?

Actually, He was recently asked if the reason he wasn't using them was because of rider safety. His reply: " Safety? No. Safety left cycling a long time ago." :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Mar 18, 17 17:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
" Safety? No. Safety left cycling a long time ago." :-/

It must be a *really* long time ago, because though I haven't done an actual study of injury rates, as a super-fan of pro bike racing, there was no period when there wasn't regular carnage. It could be we're just more acutely aware of it now. (like American football safety has suddenly emerged out of the mist despite having always been brutal).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Blacky wrote:

Actually, He was recently asked if the reason he wasn't using them was because of rider safety. His reply: " Safety? No. Safety left cycling a long time ago." :-/

Classic Sagan... he did specify at some point during that interview that he'd be at a disadvantage if he needs a wheel change (or mechanical, can't remember) with a disc brake bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

This was one of many marketing pitch\talks for clueless masses.... brake later in the corner....in general I think it is bunch of horse crap, you would need to brake harder and your tire would most likley slip.

It all comes down to tires, you will be able to lock the wheels with rim brakes if setup properly, Dura Ace rim brake "modulation" (another pitch talk) is really awesome. During races like MS fast spare wheel change is crucial, and it is way easier to get regular wheel than disk wheel during flat/crash.

1-2-3 riders on descend like Poggio will always be faster from large group, but not because of the brakes...
Quote Reply