Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Value in rotating running shoes?
Quote | Reply
Am I better off rotating running shoes and having different makes/models? I have heard this can help with injury prevention as your body gets use to different shoes and builds strength specific to each shoe. Curious to hear people's thoughts.

My last 5 pairs of shoes have all been the same model (Saucony Zealot 1). They just work for me. Every time I get new shoes I go to the local stores and try on new ones, but I never find a shoe that just feels good like my current model and I have not been injured in them so I am hesitant to try something new. I also hate the shoe shopping process and feel bad every time I make the rep bring out a bunch of shoes before deciding I am just gonna get my usual model. For now, I can find the Zealot 1's for about $60 on amazon until stocks run out which is a bonus over buying a new model.
Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always start cycling in my new pair with my current pair, and cycle them until the old pair are just worn out. Then run solely in the new pair for a while, and repeat the process. I find it easier to adjust to new shoes this way, and it seems to lengthen the life for both pairs. They're usually the same make/model, but occasionally are different.
Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read/heard the same. I've had some pretty chronic calf issues in the past, so I gave it a go. I currently rotate shoes based off workout. My current selections are Hoka Tracer (Intervals/race), Hoka Clifton 2's and On CloudFlyer for easy/long runs and On CloudFlow for easy/long/tempo. I haven't had and calf issues since - could be the trick - or could be coincidence.

J. Tyler Pate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a couple of things in play here:

1. Rotating the same make of shoe to 'even out' wear patterns. As shoes age wear patterns develop that can cause problems. By rotating shoe use, you can minimise this effect. Think about one pair new, one pair approximately half way through expected life and alternate use.

2. Rotating through different models and/or brands. In a way similar to above but using different models/brands. Allows more flexibility in the type of shoe being used. I am lucky in that I can run in just anything so usually have 2 or 3 different models/brands on the go.

As an aside, I also believe there is much to be said for running offroad as much as possible too. But that's a whole different discussion.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:

1. Rotating the same make of shoe to 'even out' wear patterns. As shoes age wear patterns develop that can cause problems. By rotating shoe use, you can minimise this effect. Think about one pair new, one pair approximately half way through expected life and alternate use.

2. Rotating through different models and/or brands. In a way similar to above but using different models/brands. Allows more flexibility in the type of shoe being used. I am lucky in that I can run in just anything so usually have 2 or 3 different models/brands on the go.

As an aside, I also believe there is much to be said for running offroad as much as possible too. But that's a whole different discussion.

I would also add a third point. Rotating shoes also helps the rubber/foam of the sole rebound back to its state before you run on it again. This allows the shoe to give you its maximum cushion when you take it back out for a run. The softer to sole of the shoe the longer it take to "regain" its full cushion. This also helps prolong the life of a shoe. That is why when you only where one shoe at a time instead of rotating shoes don't last as long and why it is harder on your body. The shoe isn't able to give you its A+ game every time you run because itself hasn't fully recouped yet. Especially for those of us that are running 3+ times a week.

I run in Saucony Fastwitch and Kinvaras I rotate them out multiple times a week I am typically in the Fastwitch 2-3 times a week for my shorter runs and speed workouts and my Kinvaras 2 times a week for long runs. I have even noticed that this has helped with less muscle fatigue and better recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many years ago a big shoe company done some testing and found that on average the cushioning in the shoe takes around 36hours to recover from a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is research on Pubmed on this but I've already read it so if you want to read it you can go search for it.

Yes it's better to have multiple pair of different makes of shoes & rotate through them

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
39% less risk of injury in runners who use multiple shoes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24286345

on the other hand if you have the 'same' shoe from five different years, it is likely to be five slightly different shoes.. so even that is better than not rotating shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like having a multi-shoe rotation. This provides an excuse to buy more running shoes.

My preferred shoes are light stability models, and I like to have various heel/toe drops within the collection. (Current Road shoe rotation: Brooks Ravena, Asics DS Trainer, Brooks Pure Cadence). Then there's the trail shoe collection....
Quote Reply
Re: Value in rotating running shoes? [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
PhilipShambrook wrote:

I would also add a third point. Rotating shoes also helps the rubber/foam of the sole rebound back to its state before you run on it again. This allows the shoe to give you its maximum cushion when you take it back out for a run. The softer to sole of the shoe the longer it take to "regain" its full cushion. This also helps prolong the life of a shoe. That is why when you only where one shoe at a time instead of rotating shoes don't last as long and why it is harder on your body. The shoe isn't able to give you its A+ game every time you run because itself hasn't fully recouped yet. Especially for those of us that are running 3+ times a week.

I run in Saucony Fastwitch and Kinvaras I rotate them out multiple times a week I am typically in the Fastwitch 2-3 times a week for my shorter runs and speed workouts and my Kinvaras 2 times a week for long runs. I have even noticed that this has helped with less muscle fatigue and better recovery.

It does not take more than a day for the foam compression to bounce back. It does not even take 12 hours. You can run in the same shoe every day at 6am and it will be just as cushioned as before. And by the time you get to mile 1 it's "recompressed" anyway, to whatever extent it won't bounce back.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rotate shoes. Not because I think it makes them last longer. Not because I think it does much of anything. I have 2 main reasons:

1) So my sweat has dried out before my next run, especially in the winter season where we're constantly around 50-55 and humid.

2) Because I use different types of shoes for different types of runs (I don't wear my Hoka Cliftons when I am going to the track).

3) I'm cheap, so I stop wearing a pair that feels flat on long runs but will keep wearing it for 30 minute recovery days.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally have around 12 pairs of runners in rotation. They are consumables, so in the long run it does not cost any more.

- my standard runners
- runners I leave at work for lunchtime runs
- extra lightweight runners for fun runs
- separate runners for Triathlons with elastic laces (sometimes different pairs for short & long course)
- trail runners (different pairs for low grip and high grip)
- experimental (ie. testing out Hoka One One)

For each of the above I will usually have one pair with significant mileage and another pair I am breaking in.

Sometimes I will buy the same brand and make only to find that the latest version made changes I don't like. This is not a big problem when you have 12 pairs - I simply relegate these runners to short recovery runs.
Quote Reply