Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
It's interesting. I looked through a list of 60 some things he wanted to cut and I'm unable to get remotely riled up. Some of them I think are bad ideas. But a lot of them are the kind of things I have talked about wondering if anyone actually uses them.

Over the years we just keep piling things on and never review programs and agencies to see if they are working, if they are duplicative, if they are efficient at all, if anyone is actually using them, etc. I don't think it is a bad idea at all to go through our government and do a reorg.

The downside is I don't think anyone actually did any of the hard work in coming up with this list. I'm feeling more like it was shooting darts in the dark.

Then make those cuts and don't add to the military.

He's a fucking idiot.

Maybe it time to invade North Korea. Might as well make the money count.

Hopefully many of you who ignorant about the military mean "get spending under control and to the right assets". The military most certainly needs "added to" if we don't change how money is distributed. Troops, actual fighters VB that is, are not shooting enough, not training enough and are far from ready. Recent Congressional testimony noted that 3out of 50 brigades in the Army are combat ready. That means they are short on people, training, leadership, ammo, vehicles or all of the above.

So before you get your panties wadded up you have to understand that our military is in a world of shit right now.

Just a taste. And this is one of the army's premier units.

http://video.foxnews.com/...7001/?#sp=show-clips

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)

Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."

Yeah, ignore that whole Oroville thing. Fake news

I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.

Let me guess they're union city employees
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

In 2015, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave an Infrastructure report card. They gave a failing grade in almost every single criteria (aviation, bridges, dams, drinking water, roads, transit etc.)

Not news. "Dear American Tax Payer....We Civil Engineers think it would be a good idea to start some Civil Engineering projects. Our kids need braces, and I want one of those fancy smart watches..."

I'm not saying its fake, but dairy farmers think we need to drink more milk, massage therapists think we need to be rubbed more, etc...

Indeed there are real needs, sometimes it's hard to decipher crying wolf from real wolves.

Civil engineering projects are sooooo over priced these days. Currently around the block from me there is a sidewalk improvement project that could be done with four guys and a case of beer on one sunny Saturday afternoon. But the city has found a way to drag it out over 3 months and half a million dollars. This is being repeated over and over and over.

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Trump spoke about our failing infrastructure during the campaign.

You don't really get to dismiss the opinions of experts just because those experts are invested in the subject they're expert in.

It seems like the 'investment' in infrastructure will come from private sources. I hope you all enjoy your toll roads.

I do, less traffic
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Trump spoke about our failing infrastructure during the campaign.

You don't really get to dismiss the opinions of experts just because those experts are invested in the subject they're expert in.

It seems like the 'investment' in infrastructure will come from private sources. I hope you all enjoy your toll roads.

I do, less traffic

You got a good point. In theory, I would be all for this. But the reality is probably that it will increase traffic on city streets. So unless every road is a toll road, there are drawbacks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:
It's interesting. I looked through a list of 60 some things he wanted to cut and I'm unable to get remotely riled up. Some of them I think are bad ideas. But a lot of them are the kind of things I have talked about wondering if anyone actually uses them.

Over the years we just keep piling things on and never review programs and agencies to see if they are working, if they are duplicative, if they are efficient at all, if anyone is actually using them, etc. I don't think it is a bad idea at all to go through our government and do a reorg.

The downside is I don't think anyone actually did any of the hard work in coming up with this list. I'm feeling more like it was shooting darts in the dark.

Then make those cuts and don't add to the military.

He's a fucking idiot.

Maybe it time to invade North Korea. Might as well make the money count.

Hopefully many of you who ignorant about the military mean "get spending under control and to the right assets". The military most certainly needs "added to" if we don't change how money is distributed. Troops, actual fighters VB that is, are not shooting enough, not training enough and are far from ready. Recent Congressional testimony noted that 3out of 50 brigades in the Army are combat ready. That means they are short on people, training, leadership, ammo, vehicles or all of the above.

So before you get your panties wadded up you have to understand that our military is in a world of shit right now.

Just a taste. And this is one of the army's premier units.

http://video.foxnews.com/...7001/?#sp=show-clips

So you must be thrilled that this budget is going to completely fook our veterans then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah the only highway around Toronto that isn't plugged outside of after midnight is a toll road. Sucks to have to pay but sucks even more to be reduced to a crawl in traffic.

windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I do, less traffic

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
windywave wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
slowguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I do, less traffic

You got a good point. In theory, I would be all for this. But the reality is probably that it will increase traffic on city streets. So unless every road is a toll road, there are drawbacks.

Not in Chicago. Most everywhere else this would be a possible since more land to build i.e. Out West and Down South
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Well if they were blowing billions on the high speed train there would be money for provide dam and a few others.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Sounds good to me. None of these should be funded with federal money anyways. Hollywood can fund the Endowment for the Arts, and pbs will just have to do more telethons. NPR can wither away and die for all I care, they aren't any better than a lot of the mainstream media anyways.

http://www.thewrap.com/...public-broadcasting/

You don't need the arts to lay bricks at the wall, or get shot in a war.

And you certainly don't need all of that for producing highly innovative minds.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

So you must be thrilled that this budget is going to completely fook our veterans then.

What makes you say that? Dept of Veteran Affairs would get 6% budget increase.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

What makes you say that? Dept of Veteran Affairs would get 6% budget increase.

Ideology makes him say it.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Sounds good to me. None of these should be funded with federal money anyways. Hollywood can fund the Endowment for the Arts, and pbs will just have to do more telethons. NPR can wither away and die for all I care, they aren't any better than a lot of the mainstream media anyways. YEP.

http://www.thewrap.com/...public-broadcasting/

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thus providing about 2% of the funding he wants to spend on increasing the size of the military budget . . .

Serious question from the dumb Canadian liberal - what is the purpose of a large military and defense build up?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Thus providing about 2% of the funding he wants to spend on increasing the size of the military budget . . .

Serious question from the dumb Canadian liberal - what is the purpose of a large military and defense build up?

To provide the security umbrella that allows you to sleep well at night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKy7ljRr0AA

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

In 2001, prior to 9/11, the U.S defense budget was $335B. That amount was not enough to stop 9/11. Then the U.S entered Afghanistan and left without a lot accomplished. Then the Iraq war came and went and that part of the world is arguably worse off now than it was in 2003, thanks to ISIS, the family of thousands of people killed by drone attacks, and the Muslims seeing an attack on their religion. The attempted and successful terror attacks around the world have increased dramatically since.

Meanwhile, the defense budget increased from $335B to $637B in 2015. So, what is it about another $54B military spending increase proposed now that will allow the U.S to sleep well at night?

Last edited by: Sanuk: Mar 17, 17 16:30
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will make John McCain happy. That's why. Lindsey Graham to. They can focus on other things while in bed together. You know, like Rubio, the newest member of their click. He to will have less to worry about, and they can all play together.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Mar 17, 17 14:30
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

In 2001, prior to 9/11, the U.S defense budget was $335B. That amount was not enough to stop 9/11. Then the U.S entered Afghanistan and left without a lot accomplished. Then the Iraq war came and went and that part of the world is arguably worse off now than it was in 2003, thanks to ISIS the family of thousands of people killed by drone attacks. The attempted terror attacks and successful ones around the world have increased dramatically since.

Meanwhile, the defense budget increased from $335B to $637B in 2015. So, what is it about another $54B military spending increase proposed now that will allow the U.S to sleep well at night?

I expect the focus of Pres Trump's defense increases is not terrorism, but rather peer or near peer competitors.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump says you're fired to the arts. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I expect the focus of Pres Trump's defense increases is not terrorism, but rather peer or near peer competitors.

Yep, it's for when Putin says "Let's you and him fight" to Trump and Xi Jinping.
Quote Reply

Prev Next