Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Happy gun story with video.
Quote | Reply
Happy gun stories never get old, but ones with video really never get old.

http://www.wifr.com/...-Bank-411363285.html

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Prior theft of Members Alliance Credit Union. That was my credit union when I live in Rockford and worked for Sundstrand Aerospace.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a fool!
Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The robber watched Heat too many times. You don't rob a bank with a mask and gun. You do it with a baseball cap, sunglasses and note that only ask for what is in the drawer. Most banks have a policy to not stop the robbery in progress in those cases. Instead, they walk away with minimal money and no potential loss of life.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
The robber watched Heat too many times. You don't rob a bank with a mask and gun. You do it with a baseball cap, sunglasses and note that only ask for what is in the drawer. Most banks have a policy to not stop the robbery in progress in those cases. Instead, they walk away with minimal money and no potential loss of life.
cant imagine a bank robber getting much at all just from the front drawers. Probably have pretty strict cash on hand policy up front to minimize loss in case of a robbery.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That isn't the point. You aren't leaving a bank with a lot of money. You go in with a guns blazing, you have already created a potential harmful situation for employees and customers, so there is not reputation risk for the company to shoot you dead. Bank robbery incurs the wrath of the Feds as well as police, and being a federal crime it gets immediate response, unlike a robbery of a convenience store or home. So do you want to go in with guns blazing with the potential for 3-4 drawers, depending on how many cashiers are working, or do you want to walkout with 2-5k which is much more common among bank drawers, vs a retail outlet and live to rob the next day.

When I worked at the FIrst Union headquarters in Charlotte, we had a branch on the first floor. A super one with open counters, and lots of exits. In one month, the same branch was robbed 3 times by the same guy wearing slightly different things. Why? Because the staff was trained to let them go and alert after they cleared the door. It then becomes a standard investigation for somebody who disappeared in the crowd. What do you think would happen if a guy went guns blazing in that branch? Cop cars were within the same city block pretty much any time, armed guards were present, the majority of people present in the branch were employees passing through to work in the corporate offices. The chaos of a strong armed robbery would leave people dead and the robbers dead to or with less money than if they just handed a note.

The moral of the story is robbing banks looks good in movies but not really practical. Better to rob drug dealers, crack houses, and illegal immigrants if you want to maximize your risk vs reward chances in armed robbery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amusing that their headline is about the security guard not being charged. In what alternate reality woukd he be charged?

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little surprised that he didn't at least get charged with something because of the final, and what looked to be the fatal, shot to the guy in the back as he was leaving/escaping. I always sort of thought that shooting someone in the back as they flee would make it tough to claim self defense. The earlier shots were, IMO, much easier to justify as necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think unlike a robbery with a knife, once a gun is introduced, there is no "running away" in some circumstances. As long as he is in with what some call the danger zone, his actions are unpredictable and having already fired a shot (warning shot), he has proved dangerous. Now chasing him out the bank and shooting would be different.

But I think the way this played out is exactly how it should be, and if I were on a jury, the guard would have walked. Any prosecutor knows that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
I'm a little surprised that he didn't at least get charged with something because of the final, and what looked to be the fatal, shot to the guy in the back as he was leaving/escaping. I always sort of thought that shooting someone in the back as they flee would make it tough to claim self defense. The earlier shots were, IMO, much easier to justify as necessary.

Nope. The robber fired first. The guard has the right to return fire until he neutralizes the threat. If the guy shot into the ceiling, then dropped his gun and ran away and was shot in the back, there my be an argument. But, he fires at the guard. If you watch the video, the guard cannot see the gun when he fires the last shot. Also, there is no evidence the final shot was the fatal shot.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Happy gun story with video. [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

That's pretty idiotic.

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply