Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Benefits and drawbacks to excessive Zone 0 or Active Recovery?
Quote | Reply
I'm your typical time-crunched triathlete with a desk job. Apart from my regular training, I have been supplementing my currently lower volume/high intensity phase by spinning lightly at my desk at work for the past 4 months for anywhere from 12-20hrs/week on a cheap under-desk pedaler.

Because this is work time, and sweating is frowned upon, it is a low/no resistance 70ish rpm on short (100mm) cranks in a recumbent-style seated position, where my heart rate rarely gets over 75bpm (resting is in the low 40s). I actually discovered that I am able to stay more focused/alert and get more done at work by doing this, so I don't think it is a total waste of time for that reason, but I'm obviously hoping it has some positive impact on endurance training, and maybe counts physiologically towards some fraction of equivalent aerobic volume (maybe say 20-30%).

My questions are these:

1- Is there such a thing as too much 'active recovery', when you couldn't otherwise use the same time at an aerobic intensity? Obviously the balance of the day is inactive rest, so I don't think it can hurt to elevate the heart rate throughout the day, but if I'm being an idiot, set me straight!

2- Does multiple hours of active recovery/zone 0 level 'exercise' at a moderately elevated heartrate below aerobic levels still stimulate any beneficial adaptations similar to zone 1 aerobic exercise to improve endurance (ie stimulate mitochondrial density/capacity), albeit less efficiently? Or is it really only useful for stimulating general bloodflow and speeding up recovery from a workout (in which case cutting down to 60-90 minutes might be plenty)? I definitely feel like my legs have been working when I get up after pedaling for an hour or two - its that familiar heavier leg sensation you get after an easy run or bike. So its doing something, I'm just not sure what.

3- Is there a name for this type of activity besides "zone 0" and "active recovery"? Finding any studies or even articles has been challenging. I'd like to read some studies or thoughts from experts on this, but studies I've found don't tend to research anything lower than aerobic/zone 1 exercise. I found one article discussing the benefits of doing a few long duration hikes (below aerobic level) for general durability training, but most obvious hiking benefits wouldn't apply to desk pedaling. I'd love it if you know of any studies/articles you could point me to.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits and drawbacks to excessive Zone 0 or Active Recovery? [fishybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not aware of any research on active workstations and athletic performance.

My innate thoughts are:

1. I do not believe you are doing any harm. If you notice that you actual riding begins to suffer due to this pedaling, cut it back.
2. I doubt that you are getting any physiological adaptation from this (ie your athletic performance will not improve). Given that you are an active cyclist the stress produced by this is pretty low. With that said, I am willing to bet your "Not-so-resting metabolic rate" is higher than if you were sitting and therefore your calorie expenditure is higher. That could be a positive. Additionally there may be general health benefits associated with a non-sedentary work day, improved sleep, workplace satisfaction etc etc.
3. I'd classify this under "activities of daily living". While it isn't exactly, the benefits will be similar to those in a sedentary vs. active but not strenuous job role. Ie the benefits on your health of being a mailman vs an office worker.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-014-0202-x
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0018720810362079

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits and drawbacks to excessive Zone 0 or Active Recovery? [fishybike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fishybike wrote:
1- Is there such a thing as too much 'active recovery', when you couldn't otherwise use the same time at an aerobic intensity? Obviously the balance of the day is inactive rest, so I don't think it can hurt to elevate the heart rate throughout the day, but if I'm being an idiot, set me straight!

I just started monitoring my [resting] HRV every morning. Someone recommended the $10 HRV4Training app for iOS in another thread and I like it quite a bit so far! There obviously are other apps/methods but HRV seems like a surefire way to know that you're adequately recovering.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits and drawbacks to excessive Zone 0 or Active Recovery? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
I'm not aware of any research on active workstations and athletic performance.

My innate thoughts are:

1. I do not believe you are doing any harm. If you notice that you actual riding begins to suffer due to this pedaling, cut it back.
2. I doubt that you are getting any physiological adaptation from this (ie your athletic performance will not improve). Given that you are an active cyclist the stress produced by this is pretty low. With that said, I am willing to bet your "Not-so-resting metabolic rate" is higher than if you were sitting and therefore your calorie expenditure is higher. That could be a positive. Additionally there may be general health benefits associated with a non-sedentary work day, improved sleep, workplace satisfaction etc etc.
3. I'd classify this under "activities of daily living". While it isn't exactly, the benefits will be similar to those in a sedentary vs. active but not strenuous job role. Ie the benefits on your health of being a mailman vs an office worker.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40279-014-0202-x
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0018720810362079

Thanks so much for the input! While I would have loved to have heard it could become my secret weapon to reach superhuman feats of endurance, you are probably right. Improving sleep quality has been a target of mine for a while, though (and it has improved, but I've also made other changes), so that's another plus.

The second study is interesting. Its pretty easy to avoid any detriment to work performance by just stopping pedaling when doing something requiring more precision or an unusual amount of focus. I also stop when talking to coworkers, just to avoid being 'that guy'. Otherwise, it anecdotally has improved my productivity and mood at work.
Quote Reply
Re: Benefits and drawbacks to excessive Zone 0 or Active Recovery? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
fishybike wrote:

I just started monitoring my [resting] HRV every morning. Someone recommended the $10 HRV4Training app for iOS in another thread and I like it quite a bit so far! There obviously are other apps/methods but HRV seems like a surefire way to know that you're adequately recovering.

Good call. I used to use the Elite HRV app, but got sick of strapping on a HRM every morning in bed. I've gone to just using a cheap fitness tracker (Mi Band) with a wrist HRM to check my morning resting heart rate. If anything starts to look out of the ordinary, I'll go back to HRV tracking for sure.
Quote Reply