Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout...
Quote | Reply
Not so much.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...nked/article/2617434

But my long held position has been affirmed.

All signs point to the fact that we should be making IDs easier to obtain for hard-case exceptions, not maintaining an honor-system for voting.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Mar 15, 17 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
All signs point to the fact that we should be making IDs easier to obtain for hard-case exceptions, not maintaining an honor-system for voting.

I think that is completely reasonable.

But I don't see any evidence that any of the laws really care about that part very much. I'd feel better about the voter ID laws if they actually made a serious effort to get ID to people. They seem a lot more interested in stopping voting than helping voting though.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are talking about the politics of it. And if the court views it as an unreasonable burden it will get addressed. Voter is laws will have to eventually provide provisions to ensure every person has one. If not at a state level allow certified third parties. We can get this this done.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
TheForge wrote:

I think that is completely reasonable.

But I don't see any evidence that any of the laws really care about that part very much. I'd feel better about the voter ID laws if they actually made a serious effort to get ID to people. They seem a lot more interested in stopping voting than helping voting though.

Who are they?

In my state, Tennessee, legal citizens were given 365 days to get the approved government photo ID which was available at every state government location including DMV, county election HQs, state unemployment offices, etc. The state would also provide transportation to anyone in need.

Now, if do-gooders wanted these people to actually have an approved photo ID, they could assist them. But let's face it. It's better to have an issue/excuse to raise every election than to actually fix it and have it go away.
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:

Who are they?

In my state, Tennessee, legal citizens were given 365 days to get the approved government photo ID which was available at every state government location including DMV, county election HQs, state unemployment offices, etc. The state would also provide transportation to anyone in need.

Now, if do-gooders wanted these people to actually have an approved photo ID, they could assist them. But let's face it. It's better to have an issue/excuse to raise every election than to actually fix it and have it go away.

Well, that's the problem right there. They should make them available anywhere that you can buy lottery tickets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can't be bothered to get ID, you don't deserve to vote.

I'm interested in seeing responsible adult citizens vote. I am not interested in holding someone's hand and walking them across the street like they're four years old so everything is easy.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I'm interested in seeing responsible adult citizens vote. I am not interested in holding someone's hand and walking them across the street like they're four years old so everything is easy.

You're falling for the false premise. There really just aren't that many people who don't have and "can't get" ID.

The reason why people oppose voter ID is because it makes it more difficult for ineligible people to vote or for people to vote multiple times.

That's it. By arguing about who supposedly Can or can't get ID you've already lost.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: About that study that voter ID laws suppress minority turnout... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

A non trivial number of people tried very hard to get ID to vote and were unable. Solve that problem and I'm on board. Until you do though, your fear of something that might be happening is overridden by actual people wrongly being unable to vote.

http://lmgtfy.com/...n%27t+get+id+to+vote

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

This makes me think of Mike Rowe's response to someone asking for him to do a 'get out the vote' thing:
http://www.outdoorhub.com/...wise-opinion-voting/

Slightly different context, but same idea: As he said, "voting is a right, not a duty, and not a moral obligation".

If you're not responsible enough and engaged enough to obtain a simple ID then you're not responsible and engaged enough to vote. Simple.
Quote Reply