Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Buoyancy Profile for the Average Swimmer
Quote | Reply
Been doing triathlons for about three years and am looking to upgrade from my 2015 TYR Category 1 wetsuit for future 70.3s and possibly an Ironman within the next year. I loved the buoyancy of the TYR but found the shoulder mobility a bit too restrictive. I'm an adult onset swimmer in my early 50's with minor shoulder issues and a 39:20 HIM swim at Mont-Tremblant. I'm considering wetsuits in the $500 range with the Roka Elite and Blueseventy Reaction being prime candidates. The Elite has a buoyancy profile of a 1:3:5 and the Reaction has a 4:5:4. Does this mean that the Reaction is more buoyant? Both claim to put the swimmer in the "downhill" position. Are these the types of buoyancy profiles a swimmer of my ability should be looking for or would a suit like the Orca 3.8 with 5 mm from top to bottom be a better match? I'm looking for a recommendation to which suit would provide better buoyancy with good shoulder flexibility while allowing me to gradually improve as a swimmer. I fear the 3.8, while providing me the confidence-inducing buoyancy in the open water that I'm looking for, would ultimately stunt my growth as a swimmer. Are there other wetsuits in the $500 range that I should be considering? Thanks for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buoyancy Profile for the Average Swimmer [OH Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about a wetsuit you might swim in a few times a year "stunting" your growth as a swimmer. None of the suits you mention are bad choices. Generally overall buoyancy is best for slower swimmers but with your shoulder issues it might be worth looking at the new Roka Elite with its "arms up" pattern.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buoyancy Profile for the Average Swimmer [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest the Elite, because it is putting more buoyancy to your legs, whereas the Reaction is a neutral-buoyancy suit.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buoyancy Profile for the Average Swimmer [OH Tri Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I fear the 3.8, while providing me the confidence-inducing buoyancy in the open water that I'm looking for, would ultimately stunt my growth as a swimmer.

How much are you planning on using the wetsuit? I suggest doing most of your training in a pool, no wetsuit.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Buoyancy Profile for the Average Swimmer [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do most of my swimming in the pool. I wear my wetsuit for a few open water swims (weather permitting) leading up to a race and during the race itself. I'm registered for Chatanooga 70.3 in May and might be able to squeeze a couple of wetsuit swims here in Ohio before race day.
Quote Reply