Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals...
Quote | Reply
Our current manager has decided to manually fix the min max calc's on our inventory control system - line by m'fing line. We're a small store so it shouldn't be too bad. It's only 18,000 lines of manual calculations of approximately 1 minute each. That's 300 solid hours of "work". Best of all he says he's going to do it in a month! I guess he hasn't heard - there's algorithms for this. This fucking guy has a university fucking degree that's clearly been wasted.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you not have min / max

2 box Kanbans? Eliminate need for min max depending on how you set them

Pareto of items by volume of movements

Seems you may well waste more time calculating these for all items than simply establishing a system for high volume ones
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell him you will personally take on all 300 hours of this important project and have it complete within 30 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhhaha, say what? This is crazy. How do you not already have this? What ERP system do you use? There's gotta be a faster way to do this. Export the whole banana into Excel or whatever and put in your algorithm. Then upload it back. Just nuts. Agree with Andrew - if manual - why not worry about the 20% that make up 80% of your volume? Damn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How to set completely unreasonable goals:

-By reading the 'debt free living' thread?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals... [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know. Have you seen the video of the boat builder........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
How to set completely unreasonable goals:

-By reading the 'debt free living' thread?
some good stuff in that thread!
Quote Reply
Re: How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I haven't... Link?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kayak thread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched it. While that is cool, and the guy is very knowledgable and skilled, I bet his 401k isn't looking all too hot ;-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd agree. I suspect you are correct. I'd be curious on the number of hours involved and the sale price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Do you not have min / max

2 box Kanbans? Eliminate need for min max depending on how you set them

Pareto of items by volume of movements

Seems you may well waste more time calculating these for all items than simply establishing a system for high volume ones

Yes the min / max's are there, they're goofed up because he's applying the wrong fn parameters and he's too stupid figure out it's his fault. FYI the software can do the recalc's in about 5 minutes - so if the numbers are goofy. Go back adjust, re-test. It's not fucking rocket science, shit it's not even computer science all the equations are there they just need the right info entered to do execute the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Just watched it. While that is cool, and the guy is very knowledgable and skilled, I bet his 401k isn't looking all too hot ;-).

What tipped you off? Maybe his belt? ;^>
Quote Reply
Re: How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals... [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Call it a hunch, from one tradesman looking at another!!

One thing that always makes me snicker: when people come over to our house, and see what I've renovated lately. It's flattering getting the "ooh!" and "aah!"s but some well-meaning idiot always pipes up with "You're so lucky that you have the skill to do that for yourself!"

and I always think of that word lucky.

I'm so lucky I have the ability to work all week, then work some more in the evenings and weekends on my own place, instead of, oh I don't know, taking a vacation, going for a long ride, meeting a friend for a pint, or just kicking my feet up and doing nothing for once, and hiring someone else to do all this work. I'm so god damned lucky!!

I bet this guy would feel the same if he knew we were all cooing over his work.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
eb wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

One thing that always makes me snicker: when people come over to our house, and see what I've renovated lately. It's flattering getting the "ooh!" and "aah!"s but some well-meaning idiot always pipes up with "You're so lucky that you have the skill to do that for yourself!"

I'm so lucky I have the ability to work all week, then work some more in the evenings and weekends on my own place, instead of, oh I don't know, taking a vacation, going for a long ride, meeting a friend for a pint, or just kicking my feet up and doing nothing for once, and hiring someone else to do all this work. I'm so god damned lucky!!

He means it as a compliment and is appreciative of your skill set.
Quote Reply
Re: How to Set Completely Unreasonable Goals... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
eb wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

He means it as a compliment and is appreciative of your skill set.

I realize that. They mean well, I just think it is a poor choice of words.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
eb wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Poor choice of words on my part; I meant to ask what tipped you off about his 401k, not his skillz. Do take a look at Lou's belt if you haven't already. It changes between the early episodes and the later ones; a small sign that he may be doing better financially as a result of his stardom.

I know what you mean about the "You're so lucky" folks. I worked as a carpenter while in college, and then built my own house while in grad school. A small house; it's all we could afford. And folks would tell me I was lucky to have those skills, and how they wished they could build their own house too. Of course they weren't willing to live in a hovel under construction, or give up their evenings and weekends. And 90% of it was just hard work rather than skill. The other 10%, of course, was my tool fetish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think its luck - I'm not sure how it works elsewhere, but apprenticeships are time served in the UK and depending on what you are doing it can take years and can be / is a lot of hard work

as a total aside - I've watched a lot of orthopedic surgeries, and whilst they (dr's) joke about orthopods being butchers - its ridiculously physical and another area where you measure twice cut once..........

Its really strange - until I worked in healthcare I'd never really thought of being a surgeon as a physical job, but surgery - the combination of being on your feet, working over a patient and - in the case of bones - pulling parts apart, cutting and physically manipulating bodies that might not be in that good a shape is really physical (I'd just never thought about it until I saw it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

That reminds me of the anecdote about Margaret Thatcher. When she was 9 years old, she received a school academic prize. The headmistress giving it to her said "Aren't you lucky?", to which she replied "I'm not lucky. I deserved it". (or "I worked for it" in one citation).

She wasn't lucky. She was damn smart, hard working, and a bit of a cunt. ; )
Quote Reply