Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your going to think I'm BSing you but when I was talking about previous the current DL S-B-R is easy on the athletes. Who it is even easier on is the race staff. When you have to use water safety personal, right now it's over in 1 go. For olympic distance, in 25 mins the swim is completely shut down. In your format, you are going to have them wait around for 2 swims AND the 2nd swim they are more fatigued after 2 hard runs and 1 hard swim. So I'm not saying it cant be done. WTS level event, no problem at all. But it's why I asked you specifically what ITU events you want your multi S-B-R format to take place at. But I'll ask, have you been to a CC in a "poor" country? The race standards/venue there are well let's just say "different". And I'm not knocking those races, we as a developing sport needs those races. What I'm trying to say is that I dont think ITU would want to put any more hardship on those race officials/volunteers.

So again, it's why I asked, and it goes back to ChrisB's point. ITU isn't just a race organization. It IS the olympic pipeline format, and that encompasses much more than what SL does, or wants to do. SL can pretty much dictate who they want to race, what they race and how they race it. Did you notice they simply shortened the bike to fit the broadcast timing?

So could you have a few one off WTS events that you suggest? I think they could. Could you have the "format" change from current DL S-B-R to DL S-R-S-R-B-R (or whatever multiple format you wanted), not across the board. So I love your format ideas. I think you are barking up the wrong tree to forcing your format on though. I think your format is great for 1-2 event organizations. But the new "standard"....nah I think it has too many varibles at play. And when you are in a controlled environment with multi million dollar investment, works great. When you are in the middle of nowhere in Chad Africa or Columbia racing a CC with people speaking 3 different languages...eh I think you'll have some major concerns.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Your going to think I'm BSing you but when I was talking about previous the current DL S-B-R is easy on the athletes. Who it is even easier on is the race staff. When you have to use water safety personal, right now it's over in 1 go. For olympic distance, in 25 mins the swim is completely shut down. In your format, you are going to have them wait around for 2 swims AND the 2nd swim they are more fatigued after 2 hard runs and 1 hard swim. So I'm not saying it cant be done. WTS level event, no problem at all. But it's why I asked you specifically what ITU events you want your multi S-B-R format to take place at. But I'll ask, have you been to a CC in a "poor" country? The race standards/venue there are well let's just say "different". And I'm not knocking those races, we as a developing sport needs those races. What I'm trying to say is that I dont think ITU would want to put any more hardship on those race officials/volunteers.

So again, it's why I asked, and it goes back to ChrisB's point. ITU isn't just a race organization. It IS the olympic pipeline format, and that encompasses much more than what SL does, or wants to do. SL can pretty much dictate who they want to race, what they race and how they race it. Did you notice they simply shortened the bike to fit the broadcast timing?

So could you have a few one off WTS events that you suggest? I think they could. Could you have the "format" change from current DL S-B-R to DL S-R-S-R-B-R (or whatever multiple format you wanted), not across the board. So I love your format ideas. I think you are barking up the wrong tree to forcing your format on though. I think your format is great for 1-2 event organizations. But the new "standard"....nah I think it has too many varibles at play. And when you are in a controlled environment with multi million dollar investment, works great. When you are in the middle of nowhere in Chad Africa or Columbia racing a CC with people speaking 3 different languages...eh I think you'll have some major concerns.

ok..."might" be tougher for the organizer.....you do need safety personnel a bit longer....but only the time it takes to do the first run....that's not a lot factually....and its a bit of the tail wagging the dog. Sprints would require volunteers for much longer....

but Nordic skiing does it...and I suspect they have even more difficulties in organizing (need snow and properly prepped courses...and hills to require striding in classic races....and volunteers all day...and........) but I got ya....
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many events are in the olympics for nordic skiing. Has the updated race style also translated into new racing format at the Olympics. I know the olympic format is completed controlled by each sport's governing body. So if the sport *changes*, it'll change the olympic format (see what ITU is trying to do by making the olympic race a sprint distance).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
How many events are in the olympics for nordic skiing. Has the updated race style also translated into new racing format at the Olympics. I know the olympic format is completed controlled by each sport's governing body. So if the sport *changes*, it'll change the olympic format (see what ITU is trying to do by making the olympic race a sprint distance).

yes, on all counts.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

yes, on all counts.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/..._the_Winter_Olympics
Quote Reply
Re: Super League this weekend - who else is excited? [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
I wonder how financially viable Super League is long term. Everything about this event was of the highest calibre but obviously it's not going to be permanently bankrolled by a Russian billionaire as a loss making venture.

I'll be very interested to see how Birtwhistle goes in the Gold Coast in a few weeks' time, his swim held up really well over this shorter distance whereas he usually lags behind.

Agreed - Birtwhistle was the real revelation of the weekend for me. I knew he could run, but he seemed legit in all three. He and Murray both had strong swims. I assume they fade over 1500? Gold Coast should be interesting!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next