Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel
Quote | Reply
I did IMCOZ in 2015. Finished it and the wind plays a big factor on the bike. Since, apparently, I am going back for seconds, I am putting some thought into doing something with my bike set up to help out with that. I am thinking of upgrading to an 16-17T oversized pulley system, and changing to a 11-28 cassette also. Plan on keeping my 88R/66F wheel set up at the moment. Has anybody done this and can perceive a notable difference either going uphill or, in my case, in very windy conditions?????
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [jimatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those oversized pulley systems are a bunch of horseshit from what I have read.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [jimatos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go read Friction Facts data. The $500 you will spend to save 1W...if that is nuts.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't buy either that they will save me 16 watts or whatever they claim. But they should make my life easier going up hill or in a windy situation in theory. I would like to hear from someone who actually has one and have some testimonial before a cough up the cash. Or just changing out the cassette and the bearing would be enough?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to the pulley. I know everyone and every year is different, but a local DM said last year was about as bad as usual. I rode a compact with 11-23, 11-28 sounds like way overkill IMO, and I think I would miss those couple intermediate rings that you're going to lose.

YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatos wrote:
I don't buy either that they will save me 16 watts or whatever they claim. But they should make my life easier going up hill or in a windy situation in theory. I would like to hear from someone who actually has one and have some testimonial before a cough up the cash. Or just changing out the cassette and the bearing would be enough?

Right....going up a hill by reducing barely 1W of friction BUT adding 3 links of chain and heavier pulley wheels. So how is that a win?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why you think the OSPW will make it easier going uphill or into wind?

The claimed 2.5w-5w is not something anyone can feel so you won't get any reply there.
Fwiw, it feels as though you are in a bigger gear sometimes. Not an easier gear, more like there's more tension slightly if that makes sense.
Then after a while you notice nothing.

The 10-12w saving claims were from the combined OSPW, chain and crank bearings I believe.

Even 10w I don't think is easy to "feel" or give feedback on.

The friction facts data is sufficient enough to buy into efforts at reducing friction. Be it better lube, cleaning, chain, or whole hog on ceramic goodies is up to your opinion and your budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
jimatos wrote:

Right....going up a hill by reducing barely 1W of friction BUT adding 3 links of chain and heavier pulley wheels. So how is that a win?

A chain link weighs about 2 grams. The difference in cage and pulley wheel weight is about 12 grams. So we're talking about 20 grams total. If you're going up a 10 degree slope with 300 watts, the difference is less than 1/10th of a watt.

The difference in frictional drag is significant enough that I can see it consistently (I use both hub and crank powermeters and have swapped derailleurs a few times). It is more than 1 watt.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't waste the money on the pulley. And I wouldn't ride anything other than an 11-23 in Cozumel. I've raced there three times. You will never need the 28. Put it in the small ring if you must, but if it's me, I'd rather have the tighter gears.

Quote | Reply
How can anyone here make a recommendation on proper gearing whilst knowing absolutely nothing about the OP??? Is he 6'4" pushing massive watts or 5'6" and 140 lbs with a much lower FTP? Living in Colorado, I would hear the same macho nonsense about compact cranks for climbing. It is entirely dependent on your FTP which is often an extension of your physical size.

As for investing in pulley wheels to make climbing easier, I agree there is likely lower hanging fruit, but if you have the cash, get crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said everyone is different and told him what I used in 2016 in a typical wind year. I think recommending a compact crank is a reasonable one, since he hasn't seemed to consider it over the pulley system.

That was macho?

Um, ok
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I wasn't referring to you specifically, but i see this a lot, even in cycling magazines, and it irks me to no end because gearing is entirely dependent on the rider. It's like someone saying that no one should wear size 8 shoes.

If the goal is to keep your variability factor as close to 1.0 as possible, wider gearing helps a lot, especially for a smaller rider with lower FTP. Riding with a power meter is a great way to see what gearing you need to stick to your target avg power. At 5'8" and 150 lbs, I ride a 52/36 with a 12-28 and would never go to a 12-26, even on a moderately hilly course as it would burn a lot of matches unnecessarily.

OP, out with it...what is your FTP?
Last edited by: chrisgrigsby: Mar 14, 17 22:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the OSPW. I honestly felt a difference the first few rides. Do I feel it now? Not anymore. But this is all subjective and take it with a grain of salt.

Is it worth MSRP?..... IMO, no. So if you can get it for cheaper, by all means go for it if you can afford it.

I would also look at the SLF motion pulley wheels.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I have the OSPW. I honestly felt a difference the first few rides. /quote]

What exactly did you "feel" a lighter wallet?

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait for the SLF oversized coming in June

Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
stevej wrote:
I have the OSPW. I honestly felt a difference the first few rides.

What exactly did you "feel" a lighter wallet?

Hugh

Touché.

I noticed a smoother drivetrain while riding. I do a pretty good job keeping my drivetrain clean so it wasn't like my old chain was dirty nor worn when I put on the OSPW and a new longer chain. I wasn't expecting to fee any difference whatsoever.

Like I said, this is incredibly subjective. Do I expect you to believe me and hop on the ceramicspeed bandwagon? Not at all and nor do I care if you do or do not. I was simply giving the OP my personal experience. Everyone is free to form their own opinion.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Wait for the SLF oversized coming in June

Yeah I saw that the other day. I like what they are doing.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I am 5'8", and weigh around 170 lb come race week... When I an IMCOZ used a compact crank, and 10-23. My FTP is around 210 watts, so that translates into 2.71 w/k.
Quote Reply
Re: Oversized pulley system and 11-28 upgrade for IM Cozumel [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Simple physics... It's not about weight, nor strength (power in this case)... It's the amount of torque generated by a longer distance between the point of pivot. It's the same principle applied in MTB bikes, smaller cranks in the front, longer wheel base (distance between crank and drive train), and bigger gears in the back.

Fazz wrote:
I'm not sure why you think the OSPW will make it easier going uphill or into wind?

The claimed 2.5w-5w is not something anyone can feel so you won't get any reply there.
Fwiw, it feels as though you are in a bigger gear sometimes. Not an easier gear, more like there's more tension slightly if that makes sense.
Then after a while you notice nothing.

The 10-12w saving claims were from the combined OSPW, chain and crank bearings I believe.

Even 10w I don't think is easy to "feel" or give feedback on.

The friction facts data is sufficient enough to buy into efforts at reducing friction. Be it better lube, cleaning, chain, or whole hog on ceramic goodies is up to your opinion and your budget.
Quote Reply