Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rims or hubs?
Quote | Reply
So before everyone jumps on the 'do a search" bandwagon, I did. 20 pages in I was bleary eyed and no further ahead. So, here my question and it comes with a caveat. I'm not talking about very deep section wheels here, just something simple like some Fulcrum 7/5 or Mavic's. What is more important, weight/quality of the actual rim or the hub bearings? None of the wheels in this class are super aero so if a rim is a bit heavy, can that be overcome by great quality bearings? And the opposite, can a relatively aero rim be undone by poor bearings? I guess the heart of the question is, which is most important when looking to buy some value priced training wheels?
Thanks
John
Quote Reply
Re: rims or hubs? [JohnG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neither are important at that price level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your questions are a little confusing.

But long story sort, training wheels are the wrong place to try for exotic hubs or bearings. What you want is reliability and serviceability. The benefits of the exotic stuff is very little in terms of performance.

You can get just about anyone's middle-of-the-road hub and do just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: rims or hubs? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I know it's a bit convoluted. I guess the simple point I was trying to get to, was it more important to look at good hubs or lighter rims for day to day wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At that price point, the hubs aren't that good and the rims aren't light.

I received an email from one of the online dealers about a week ago advertising the Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset for $119 with free shipping.
Quote Reply