Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for reasons why here are two i have heard:

1. Helmets keep you warm to some extent and can help a little with goggle management.
2. What else are you going to attach your GoPro to?
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most of my life I have been more of a nordic skier - at one time taking it pretty seriously and racing a number of loppets and races each winter.

For 10 years I lived near some real mountains in Vancouver, BC and I had a 10-year burst of Alpine skiing - 1991 - 2001. Same as you - skied all kinds of crazy stuff - at Whistler and several other places in the BC interior (Silver Star was a favorite - awesome Nordic & Alpine right from your front door). you would occasionally see a skier of boarder during this time with a helmet - everyone else wearing tuques. Now I hear and see it's almost 100% helmets - with only the very rare, tuque - usually on some crazy old dude!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More and more people are wearing them but there doesn't seem to be much if any reduction in head injuries.

To paraphrase Seinfeld, if you are skiing fast and hit a tree, the helmet is wearing you for protection.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ha, that is something else I noticed, skis. I have a set of K2 205s that I skied on for years. I got a pair of 180s when I wanted to do more moguls. Now it seems full grown adults are skiing on 150s or shorter. Man how the times have changed.
Both of the skis that I ski regularly are about 185s. And are straight-ish.

http://lineskis.com/skis/supernatural-100
https://www.black-crows.com/orb-freebird-skis

Not sure who said 15mph, but I'd call myself an intermediate recreational skier, and will usually hit about 45mph on most runs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought one for myself and my kids in 2000 after seeing the aftermath of a snowboarder dying from a head injury. All roads were closed from the mountain, a helicopter landed at the base, loaded the kid in, but he was already dead.
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmom1 wrote:
Bought one for myself and my kids in 2000 after seeing the aftermath of a snowboarder dying from a head injury. All roads were closed from the mountain, a helicopter landed at the base, loaded the kid in, but he was already dead.

Was he wearing a helmet like most snowboarder fatalities?
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no....
Quote Reply
Re: Why so many helmets snow skiing? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
you show up with a ball cap and ray bans and you will be laughed at as a Gaper. Only Midwesterner's and Texans try to pull that look off, and both look like idiots.

Just a suggestion, it isn't 1985. Get a helmet, don't wear rear entry boots and sell your straight skis to a thrift store so someone can use them in an art project.

ACE wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:
I started wearing a helmet in 98 when I was in a sling after surgery. It was pretty much me and racers. But I knew with out an arm to reach out if I fell I would hit hard. I probably skied close to 100 days that season. It took about 5 years for them to take over.

They are fabulous. Super warm and cozy, protect you from the chairlift bar and people turning with skis on their shoulders. My kid's looks well used. They are definitely better in bad weather. The only time I don't love mine is warm spring bump runs when you get too hot!

We like to say nothing says you are from Nebraska more than a hat or headband on the slopes.

Hats are now lumped in with fanny packs and onesies under the what were they thinking category.

I guess I would be the boob if I showed up to ski with my ball cap and Ray Bans. Oh well, just more gear to buy. I can see the benefit of having it to keep the head warm. Never in all the years I skied growing up did I need a helmet and I was stupid and skied too fast often.

Guess I will just click my "like" button as I see all the photos on facebook of the helmet clad skiers. No snark needed.

Is it a law?

As a lifelong Michigan skiier, please do not lump us with the Texans. While we may be in awe of any hill with greater than 500ft and conditions other than slush or ice, we are not the total gomers you see coming from Texas. No one up here skiis in wranglers and an f'ing cowboy hat. Nor do we express the lack of respect for everything and everyone that I've seen from the good 'ol boys having a day at the mountain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, as someone who used to ski (on 210s and never wore a helmet doing it) that now snowboards (always where a helmet) I see absolutely no point in wearing a helmet for skiing.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next