Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related
Quote | Reply
I have known this guy down the street for 13 years. He's a character. Usually smiling and upbeat. He's 40, married, has two kids and he's borderline obese. He's been on a lot of diets, workout programs, Dr. sponsored diets... I have tried all kinds of things to motivate him including meeting him at the gym, bike rides etc. I saw him over the weekend and he's still really big. Got to talking with him and he's basically given up on ever losing the weight and now just expects to die from some side effect of obesity.

It's a couple of days later and I am PO'd at his selfishness and his lack of caring for his family. I am PO'd at his attitude because he can change his life if he wants too. But I also wonder why he's like this.

I have spoken to his wife and she can't get him to change. As much as she tries, he cheats on diets and when she find the evidence he just doesn't care.

When I put on my pseudo-Psychologist hat I see a guy that is knowingly and slowly committing suicide. That would indicate to me he is depressed. Depression can be cured. I looked up lack of will power and it isn't a psychological disease, but it does fall under the symptoms of depression.

So what, if anything, would you folks do? Do I try an hold an intervention? Bring his family and kids in to talk with him? Talk to him/her about depression? Walk away? I can't understand his mindset, but it is what it is. I would really hate to see him fail.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smiling and upbeat doesn't paint the picture of depression, but you can't really tell anything from a person's public façade. He might be clinically depressed, but then, not feeling like weight loss is worth the hassle, particularly if he's tried and failed and never actually reached a weight loss goal, isn't necessarily an indicator of depression. Don't project your own psychological framework on this guy's situation. Be helpful if he's interested, and butt out if he's not.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Don't project your own psychological framework on this guy's situation. Be helpful if he's interested, and butt out if he's not.

I have to agree with this. Whatever his trigger may be, it sounds as though none of the affected parties are close to finding it, much less empowered to affect it. The added attention may actually amplify his resistance.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was friends with a guy for a number of years who refused to eat vegetables or fruit. It was meat, potatoes, bread and whatever processed crap tasted good. He was in his late 20's and overweight.

I talked to him about it and he said that he wanted to enjoy his life, so (basically) why live longer if you're miserable from eating veggies. I pointed out that he had kids and he should think about it for their sake. The thing is, he was a happy person who loved the outdoors (and his kids). I think he just didn't believe there was that much value to eating healthy. Kind of like a co-worker I had who thought that there really wasn't anything un-healthy about smoking.

Some people are set in the minds and aren't motivated. Maybe your friend will survive a heart attack and realize that he does want to live and needs to do something about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's his attitude when he's dieting ? Does it make him miserable ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite anecdotal evidence that things like smoking aren't harmful... "I have a relative that <insert bad habit> and lived to be 95."

I've known several people that have smoked like chimneys and lived beyond the average life expectancy. Of course, most of them were gasping through mucous for the last 5-15 years of their lives, but hey, it was a good ride up until then.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
How's his attitude when he's dieting ? Does it make him miserable ?

I don't see a change in him, but I am not around him enough to see one. He'll say he's trying something and then a few weeks later it's over.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see him throwing the towel in and just being happy with himself if the dieting and excercise made him miserable. That or depressed when it doesn't work. But the second one seems less likely if he only gives them a few weeks. Maybe that would be the questions to ask someone closer to him before being up an intervention

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does he have a daughter? Does he care to walk her down the aisle? Does he care to walk her down the aisle on a Hover-round, with a bottle of oxygen, pushing a walker because his size has blown out his knees?Does he even care to see her married? Paint that picture for him.
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Does he have a daughter? Does he care to walk her down the aisle? Does he care to walk her down the aisle on a Hover-round, with a bottle of oxygen, pushing a walker because his size has blown out his knees?Does he even care to see her married? Paint that picture for him.

Had that discussion Saturday night.I think the battle is over.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are we talking about a guy who needs to lose 50 pounds-100 pounds-200 pounds-or more? Frankly, as a nutritionist, what I see most often is people who don't change because THEY DON'T WANT TO CHANGE.

Your wanting it for him; his wife, child, etc. isn't going to matter either. You are all wasting your time. Only when he decides to do the work will anything be different.

Not only that, but watching running legend Ed Whitlock die at 86 didn't seem to buy him any more time at all on this Earth (only records) and I doubt that being overweight is going to materially affect this man's longevity as well. We all know that if being 50 pounds too fat was actually a fatal curse, then most of America would already be dead.

Yes, he's an unattractive married man with kids who knows that he doesn't look like a movie star anymore and highly likely never will again.

Get over it and get on with your own life. If you really want to help his family, just remind his wife to keep his life insurance in force...just in case.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: My dumbass neighbor, not garage band related [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Are we talking about a guy who needs to lose 50 pounds-100 pounds-200 pounds-or more? Frankly, as a nutritionist, what I see most often is people who don't change because THEY DON'T WANT TO CHANGE.

Your wanting it for him; his wife, child, etc. isn't going to matter either. You are all wasting your time. Only when he decides to do the work will anything be different.

Not only that, but watching running legend Ed Whitlock die at 86 didn't seem to buy him any more time at all on this Earth (only records) and I doubt that being overweight is going to materially affect this man's longevity as well. We all know that if being 50 pounds too fat was actually a fatal curse, then most of America would already be dead.

Yes, he's an unattractive married man with kids who knows that he doesn't look like a movie star anymore and highly likely never will again.

Get over it and get on with your own life. If you really want to help his family, just remind his wife to keep his life insurance in force...just in case.

He's 100+ lbs overweight and already had been in the hospital for heart/weight related problems. Unfortunately I think you are right about the insurance policy.

Quote Reply