Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology?
Quote | Reply
This new product just seems so cool, and what I have been looking for during the last few years.

http://queue.vip/K16tvF0

The ability to not have to use my helmet mirror, which only works when my helmet is at a certain angle.

But having this product, I can see what is going on behind with a smart phone attached to my handle bars.
And they also say they can live stream the video. Wonder if it could also be modified to point forward?
Now I think WTC said you could not have a phone on the handle bars to be used as a bike computer.
But, I guess I could have the phone in my repair bag, and be sending out a stream of live video.
Maybe they can make it also send speed, etc.

Potential is great. Just hope it is successful compared to other products that have failed.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple of thoughts:

1) it looks like a Star Wars tie-fighter from behind
2) it's HUGE!
3) I too would be interested if it could point forward, for live stream capabilities. Maybe the 'light' product does the same? I can't imagine constantly staring at my phone (which is in my pocket, not on my bars) to see what peril is lurking behind me! But the family would love if they could tune in live to a race and get a POV shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This new product just seems so cool, and what I have been looking for during the last few years.

The ability to not have to use my helmet mirror, which only works when my helmet is at a certain angle.

But having this product, I can see what is going on behind with a smart phone attached to my handle bars.
And they also say they can live stream the video. Wonder if it could also be modified to point forward?
Now I think WTC said you could not have a phone on the handle bars to be used as a bike computer.
But, I guess I could have the phone in my repair bag, and be sending out a stream of live video.

Potential is great. Just hope it is successful compared to other products that have failed.

Training: who cares what WTC/ITU/USAT rules are?
Racing: why do you need to see what's behind you on a closed race course?

If you can ride like the Hexagon spokesman, no one will care just how big and ugly that camera is.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mblocher wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) it looks like a Star Wars tie-fighter from behind
2) it's HUGE!
3) I too would be interested if it could point forward, for live stream capabilities. Maybe the 'light' product does the same? I can't imagine constantly staring at my phone (which is in my pocket, not on my bars) to see what peril is lurking behind me! But the family would love if they could tune in live to a race and get a POV shot.

They have told me that stage two would add a front mounted one, and the ability of the sw to switch between cameras.

I will look at the phone as much as I use my mirror today. Since the app will be speed and time also, I might be able to get rid of my computers, since that is all I look at anyways. So, having everything I use all on one display will be great. Having the wife be able to track via its GPS is great, even though I use Glympse now which we love.
It will record onto a flash card. And if an crash or issue, it automatically sends out an alert, like road id.

I hope to buy one tomorrow.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's how I *think* the rules read for this year.

Under USAT rules, you can have a video camera attached to your bike or your body, as long as it's not attached to you helmet (a DQ). You can't have a phone attached to your handlebars, top tube, etc. It needs to be stored out of sight and not turned on unless you stop and get off the course while using it. Penalty would either be a time penalty or a DQ, depending on whether its a safety issue or not.

Under WTC rules, you can only use a video camera if it's okay-ed by WTC and you notify the head referee before the race. A DQ if you don't. You can have a phone mounted on your handlebars, but if you use it in a 'distractive manner', it's a DQ. The distractive manner mentions phone calls, texting, playing music, social media, taking photographs, and using as a bike computer (but not limited to these.) Don't know if watching a video feed would be considered distractive.
Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Training: who cares what WTC/ITU/USAT rules are?
Racing: why do you need to see what's behind you on a closed race course?

If you can ride like the Hexagon spokesman, no one will care just how big and ugly that camera is.

Fair comments.

Would do I wear a mirror in a race, for the same reasons I would like this in a race.

When I was racing yesterday, I was not able to use my mirror since the sun glass were all fogged up with the weather so I left in T1.
But I was told by a racer after the race I had a guy drafting off my butt and never saw him. So if I had seen him, I would have slowed down and dealt with it.\

I have also raced like at Donner going down the hill when I could see the folks coming up from behind, I was able to safely pull out of their way.

Or when I used my mirror at Du Nationals in Bend last year my mirror allowed me to see a dumb young female coming to pass me on a turn. If I had not known
she we coming, we would have had a major crash.

So for me, with the above and more experiences in races where the mirror saved my butt, I would use it if I can.

Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
Here's how I *think* the rules read for this year.

Under USAT rules, you can have a video camera attached to your bike or your body, as long as it's not attached to you helmet (a DQ). You can't have a phone attached to your handlebars, top tube, etc. It needs to be stored out of sight and not turned on unless you stop and get off the course while using it. Penalty would either be a time penalty or a DQ, depending on whether its a safety issue or not.

Under WTC rules, you can only use a video camera if it's okay-ed by WTC and you notify the head referee before the race. A DQ if you don't. You can have a phone mounted on your handlebars, but if you use it in a 'distractive manner', it's a DQ. The distractive manner mentions phone calls, texting, playing music, social media, taking photographs, and using as a bike computer (but not limited to these.) Don't know if watching a video feed would be considered distractive.

So, how would anyone know if the phone is turned on or not? Having it on for like tracking is not hurting anyone, and I bet a LOT of folks do, why not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

When I was racing yesterday, I was not able to use my mirror since the sun glass were all fogged up with the weather so I left in T1.
But I was told by a racer after the race I had a guy drafting off my butt and never saw him. So if I had seen him, I would have slowed down and dealt with it.\

I have also raced like at Donner going down the hill when I could see the folks coming up from behind, I was able to safely pull out of their way.

If you don't use a mirror, I think I'd rather have you looking back over your shoulder on occasion as opposed to more frequent looking down at a cell phone on your handlebars. As for the downhill, why would you have to 'pull out of their way' if you're not riding out of the way to begin with? It is a race that you're allowed to take up the whole road, but then move over if someone is coming down faster?

But that brings up an interesting point. Since WTC doesn't allow mirrors (unless medically required, announced to the referee, and eliminates you from the awards and slots), then I guess this would also be banned because it's an 'electronic mirror.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's being funded by Kevin Moats! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
at 0:19 she says
"almost 80% of road accidents happen because cyclists don't see cars behind them..."

WTF???????

WFT????????????????????????????

1. they are not accidents. Well, most of them are not. When a driver runs over a cyclist or pedestrian because they are driving too fast or are distracted, or simply do not have the driving skill to maneuver their multi thousand pound vehicle safely around other road users, then it is NOT an accident. #droptheAword

2. so she is saying that it is cyclists own fault that cars run them over from behind? I would never get behind any company, or product, that continues to echo the rampant society wide victim blaming that has resulted in the horrendous carnage on our roads.
(read "how auto makers invented the crime of jaywalking" on the interwebs if you wanna learn how it all started.)

I see this, and all other shit we have to wear (helmets, high viz vests, flashing lights, video cameras) as another thing that allows the victim blaming if you don't have it on. It needs to stop, and we, as a society, need to go at the root cause of why drivers are killing non-drivers.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just use a GoPro with a phone. Or, the Garmin VIRB that has the ability to put your sensor data on the video (not sure if you can do that live or not - check out DCRainmaker for details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

What is your relationship with this product?
Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What is your relationship with this product?

Nothing. I heard about it from a post on ST.

Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes, just curious as to Dave's interest... When I clicked on the link in the OP, there was a pop-up stating that I had been invited by Dave..
Dave, will you be receiving any financial benefit from posting the link? If so, that ought to be disclosed...

Just curious, but why is it ok to use a Garmin bike computer, but not ok to use ones phone as a computer ...??

James Haycraft wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What is your relationship with this product?[/
quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Will WTC/ITU/USAT allow this new video technology? [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:

Yes, just curious as to Dave's interest... When I clicked on the link in the OP, there was a pop-up stating that I had been invited by Dave..
Dave, will you be receiving any financial benefit from posting the link? If so, that ought to be disclosed...

Just curious, but why is it ok to use a Garmin bike computer, but not ok to use ones phone as a computer ...??

James Haycraft wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What is your relationship with this product?[/
quote]

Man, you guys are sounding just like the media, always negative.

Did you even read the site stuff. If one gets "500" points, one gets into a drawing for a few unit. I very seldom win anything but can't hurt to try.

Quote Reply