Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky...
Quote | Reply
...I know exactly what she means.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're rolling on molly tonight?
Quote Reply
Re: When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
So you're rolling on molly tonight?

No. And we won't be doing that stuff for awhile.

We did it "too much" and it doesn't really have the desired effect anymore. The rolls are mild and the come downs are horrific.

Off of that stuff for the foreseeable future.

There are other things to do...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Was this a recent revelation?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Was this a recent revelation?

No. When I was younger (19), shortly after my dad died, I was listening to the album from the beginning. I was just thinking about the order in which the songs were arraigned, how one fed into the other (and sometimes harkened back to previous songs).

And then she sang, and it was right there before me with perfect clarity. Everything.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clare Torry sued for proper songwriting credit in 2005 and settled out of court with the band - all pressings since then list her and Richard Wright where he originally came up with the piano chord progression and they later brought her in to add vocals. It is a beautiful piece of music.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really quite brilliant once you understand the purpose of the part. It had to feel unstructured and irrational, but sufficiently complimentary to the depth and flow of the piano sequence. I honestly can't imagine how else it could have been vocalized, much less so effectively.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: When I listen to The Great Gig In The Sky... [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a quote from her on line where the first take was her doing a more traditional vocal with a lot of "Oh yeahs" but the band felt it didn't work, so in her words she decided to use herself as a musical instrument and the resulting vocal was a composite of three separate takes. She also listened to Wright's progression multiple times beforehand in order to get a better feel for how it should work with the piano piece yet still have that unstructured feel at the same time.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply