Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Fit Assistance
Quote | Reply
Hello all

Firstly let me apologise for yet another bike fit post.

I've been looking for a professional tri bike fit where I live but the closest person who confidently said they could fit a tri bike is a flight away interstate. And as much as you try to pick up things on the internet through other peoples experiences, its a bit of a steep learning curve.

I've had my tri bike for some time now and never really got it set up, the original fit came from the app - Best Bike Fit. Through a series of injuries (all from crashing the mountain bike) I've only really been able to race it once, avg 36km for the 60km. This was 2 years ago now and Im well behind what I was then in fitness terms!

One of the injuries I had was a torn rotor cuff in my right shoulder, which has caused the bike position to be a bit unbearable. Combined with my loss of flexibility, loss of time on the bike, etc I basically have to start from scratch.

Changes I have made since being able to train again:
- Base bar up (see photos for all the spaces). Its about 70mm.
- Change of base bar (oen that came with bike had no adjustment capacity at all)
- arm rests out wider (15mm each)
- cleats moved as far back on shoes as possible so they are more "mid-sole" (more to give it a try than anything else)
- seat lowered to compensate

This resulted in:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2yarkBF0Um8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When riding with this position I can put down sufficient power but:
- not resting on bone structure so between shoulders and triceps get fatigued quickly
- constantly sliding forwards until I am perched on the edge of the saddle and feel like I need to shuffle backwards

Tried a different approach this morning and increased the tilt on the extensions, thinking it might allow me to lean into the arm rests a bit more and take pressure off my shoulders. Not being used to it at all I almost flipped over the bars when riding on it the first time... Still experiencing arm/back fatigue but not slipping forwards as much.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NYAxGsO91HU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now my partner is about to give birth and gives me a solid 2 weeks off work, so between sleeping, crying, changing shitty nappies, etc I'll be working on this (have some nice quiet straight roads 5 minutes from home).

What does the collective Slowtwitch think I can change to improve? I guess priority for me would be eliminating shoulder/arm fatigue. Any more photos/videos I can get readily (but they might be shaky if I recruit the son to do it). Also.. if you could tell me how to embed videos properly, that'd be rad!

Thanks in advance

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Fit Assistance [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no fitter, but in the second pic you really look like you need to increase the reach. I think you need to stretch out a little, I think the reason you feel like you're going to fall over the bars is because you're elbows need to move forward.
Quote Reply