Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Debt free living [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Howdy neighbor:) You sir have won the lottery if you can happily imagine yourself at your job in the 70's!
Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think one of the best things about being financially okay is if circumstances are such that you are asked to do things you just don't want to do you can say stuff it and move on to a place where you can do your job under circumstances of your own choosing. As long as you can do that, its good. I bitch and complain about being on a pager for my nursing home patients but in the end it makes me feel needed to be there for them when they need me. I think you are right about doing things that you don't always want to do making for some happiness. I guess its about the satisfaction of being useful and doing what needs to be done. I think it is unlikely anyone is going to be happy saying at the end of their life, it was great I always got to do what I wanted to do. Having said that if you are miserable all the time by all means move on.

gasman wrote:
Howdy neighbor:) You sir have won the lottery if you can happily imagine yourself at your job in the 70's!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6 years in middle east has done it for me
Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really do need to find something portable as well and i have some thoughts on it which do not involve consulting. What do you do? I'm sure its been mentioned before.

I understand that parts of CA have gone like parts of OZ and the UK with silly growth post 2008

We decided to downsize now, i suspect we may be dealing with a little more economic uncertainty in the form of brexit and its short to med term impact so we felt cash now was better than a potential loss later

If i thought i would be in my place for another 10-15 years i'd have kept it but that was not the case so we decided to get out.
Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
I'm 29 and recently purchased a home in Nashville... that's the only debt I see right now. It stinks because the values are crazy high here and was hoping to purchase a 100k fixer upper.

I'm fortunate and have a company car so I won't see that ever but would like to save for a sports car or kick ass jeep.

Debt is realitive. Although no debt is best.

In what part of town did you buy?

I'm the outlier - I have too much credit card debt but am working to eliminate it. I bought my house 4 years ago on the edge of the hood here in Nashville before the crazy explosion of growth and it's nearly doubled in value since I'm in the urban core where everybody moving here wants to be. I don't plan on living in my house forever - just until I'm finished working. Then I'm out of the South for good. But to where is the $100K question.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Im-a-miler wrote:
I'm 29 and recently purchased a home in Nashville... that's the only debt I see right now. It stinks because the values are crazy high here and was hoping to purchase a 100k fixer upper.

I'm fortunate and have a company car so I won't see that ever but would like to save for a sports car or kick ass jeep.

Debt is realitive. Although no debt is best.

In what part of town did you buy?

I'm the outlier - I have too much credit card debt but am working to eliminate it. I bought my house 4 years ago on the edge of the hood here in Nashville before the crazy explosion of growth and it's nearly doubled in value since I'm in the urban core where everybody moving here wants to be. I don't plan on living in my house forever - just until I'm finished working. Then I'm out of the South for good. But to where is the $100K question.

East nasty- more specifically near riverside village.

I wish I was here 5 years ago. I'm from Michigan and would love to buy in Detroit... I know I know, say what you want about Detroit but it's going to be a great city.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Debt free living [Im-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im-a-miler wrote:
East nasty- more specifically near riverside village.

I wish I was here 5 years ago. I'm from Michigan and would love to buy in Detroit... I know I know, say what you want about Detroit but it's going to be a great city.

Nice! Lots of new restaurants/bars over that way. I was just over at a friend's house Sunday for dinner and was checking out all the new places. I'm in Historic Buena Vista (bounded by Jefferson, Buchanan, Rosa Parks, freeway - neighborhood behind the Kroger across from Germantown). I had a very astute realtor - I bought for $97/sq ft and could now probably get $175/sq ft.

My ex co-worker and her husband moved NYC to Nashville (hated it), then to outside of Detroit and they LOVE it there. I wish I'd made it to the Preds game at the Joe this year.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next