Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Logan
Quote | Reply
Since Vitus bitched about it, here's a quick review of Logan.

Logan is a departure from the rest of the Marvel X-men universe established over the years by a whole slew of movies. Set in 2029, Logan attempts to capture some of the feel of the comic series "Old Man Logan," which tells the story of a world in which the super villains have killed off all the heroes and only Wolverine remains. However, this is not a retelling of that story.

In the film, we find an older Logan, who is sick from the adamantium in his body poisoning him, and whose healing factor is no longer keeping up with his illness and injuries. There are no more mutants, and no X-men, all having been captured or killed off in a mysterious incident several years earlier. Logan has a job as a limo driver, and is living under an assumed name as he tries to scrape together enough money to keep himself and Professor Xavier alive until they can buy a boat and sail away from the authorities trying to track them down. Prof X is old, sickly, and is no longer the formidable psychic power he once was. Not long into the movie, the two are introduced to a new mutant, which they though was an impossibility. The young girl, Laura, has similar powers as Logan, and a significant part of the film deals with her origins. Of course, the three rapidly come to the attention of the authorities/bad guys, and have to run, headed to a supposed safe haven for mutants. Action and violence ensue.

As I said, Logan departs from the typical X-men film. It tells a darker story, and the characters are more gritty and real. In essence, Logan is just looking for a way to end his own suffering, but feels an obligation to Prof X that keeps him going. The movie feels like it's set in a more believable universe than some of the previous films, and it generally ignores all the stuff set up from the previous films. In that way, it's possible that film makers could treat this as a stand alone film, outside of the established universe, although both Jackman and Stewart have said they're probably done with these roles.

The movie is pretty violent, with a lot of brutal killing by Logan and Laura as they work their way through the bad guys. There's also a ton of foul language. It deservedly got an R rating, and it's good that they did that instead of trying to tone it down for a PG-13. The acting is actually pretty good, and the film looks great.

Overall, Logan is certainly one, if not the, best of the X-Men related films, and definitely the best Wolverine stand-alone film.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Logan [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leaving in an hour to see it for the second time.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the movie, but it is very heavy. The wife didn't care for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the movie but I can see how some might not since Logan is now much weaker than what we're used to. His "daughter" is a bad ass. My only gripe is I wish they detailed a bit more what happened to the rest of the x-men. My suspicion is that the kids will be in the next movie and one of the older x-men will come to teach them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since Vitus bitched about it

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I actually saw it yesterday, it was excellent. Definitely a departure from the normal superhero movie- it did a great job of presenting the "reality" of superhero life as opposed to the glorified comic book version. It's getting some flak from fanboys because it doesn't hold true to the "Old Man Logan" comics, but if it had, it couldn't have presented that more realistic view.

Liked the interplay between Charles and Logan and Laura, too. Had a lot to say about family and all that goes with it- love, disappointment, hurt, sacrifice. People have noted how violent the movie is, and it is, but it also had a pretty strong pro-life message. Logan's care for Charles should resonate with anyone who's ever dealt with end of life issues with their parent, and then the cycle was repeated in Logan's relationship with Laura.

Interesting plot point with the corn, too.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Logan [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Since Vitus bitched about it

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I actually saw it yesterday, it was excellent. Definitely a departure from the normal superhero movie- it did a great job of presenting the "reality" of superhero life as opposed to the glorified comic book version. It's getting some flak from fanboys because it doesn't hold true to the "Old Man Logan" comics, but if it had, it couldn't have presented that more realistic view.

Liked the interplay between Charles and Logan and Laura, too. Had a lot to say about family and all that goes with it- love, disappointment, hurt, sacrifice. People have noted how violent the movie is, and it is, but it also had a pretty strong pro-life message. Logan's care for Charles should resonate with anyone who's ever dealt with end of life issues with their parent, and then the cycle was repeated in Logan's relationship with Laura.

Interesting plot point with the corn, too.

How about the Irony of Logan buying meds illegally in the US to smuggle INTO Mexico. I'm watching thinking even in 2029 Mexico is where you go to buy the cheap meds still.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Logan [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every bit as good the second time!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this might be the best "comic" book movie made so far. Incredible to think of what Hugh Jackman has done for "superhero" film over 17 (seriously, SEVENTEEN!) years. With a few hiccups, X-Men started something truly game changing.

Logan was an extremely good movie. Not just a "good comic book movie" or a "good superhero story."
Quote Reply