Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island
Quote | Reply
Kong - Skull Island is the newest attempt at a Kong movie, and it's an attempt to tie into the 2014 reboot of Godzilla, setting the path for more monster movies in a cinematic universe following the model that has been so successful for Marvel.

Skull Island is a notable improvement on the 2005 film with Jack Black, but it's still a big ape movie. Set at the end of the Vietnam War, the movie follows a team of Soldiers and scientists who venture to a heretofore undiscovered island in the Pacific, ostensibly to conduct geological and mapping research. Shortly after they arrive, the team discovers that the island is inhabited by an entire ecosystem of horrific creatures, mostly out to kill them. First among those creatures is Kong, the giant ape, who the local tribes consider to be a god. Predictably, the team is split between those who want to kill Kong and those who want to leave him alone and get off the island.

I saw the movie in 3D IMAX (which I don't normally do) because I had a gift certificate. I thought it was pretty good in the larger format, because the size of the creatures is a big part of the film. In general, the effects were good, and Kong was impressive. There is a part in the movie where on character says that Kong is still young and growing, which sets him up to be bigger in subsequent films like a Kong v Godzilla showdown. Of course there's lots of action, and some of it is fairly grey as various nasty creatures kill off the team in grisly ways. I wouldn't take a young kid to the movie, but I saw plenty in the theater. I was a bit surprised it's only PG-13.

The acting in the movie is fair, but of course, nothing Oscar worthy. Samuel L. Jackson plays an off-kilter Army LtCol who leads the effort to destroy Kong, and does so in typical Jackson style, although somewhat more subdued than he could have been. John Goodman plays the lead researcher who sets things in motion, and has some pretty hokey lines that just can't be delivered seriously. Likewise, Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, and other cast members play somewhat stereotypical monster movie characters.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. There's some humor (led by John C. Reilly) and lots of action. I don't think the movie revolutionizes the monster movie genre, but it's a decent add-in to the new universe they are trying to set up. After the credits, there's a short scene that sets up this universe and makes reference to a variety of classic monsters such as Mothra, Rodan, King Ghidorah, and others. I think the next film is already set to be another Godzilla movie.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. How would you rank the Kong movies?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there are a bunch of them, and a lot weren't very good. This one is better than the 2005 one from Peter Jackson, in my opinion.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Well, there are a bunch of them, and a lot weren't very good. This one is better than the 2005 one from Peter Jackson, in my opinion.

There is only one King Kong movie. It was made in 1932.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
slowguy wrote:

That would have made you, what, 6 years old?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Well darned if you aren't right. And you already gave your comparison to the Jack Black version.

BUT, taking out sequels and Japanese monster movies, there were four American King Kong "discovery" movies, i.e., movies telling story of going to Island and discovering Kong:

THE Original, 1933
Wet Jessica Lange version: 1976
Jack Black: 2005
Skull Island: 2017

That is what I was thinking about. Come on. You are being intentional evasive. You can't review a "new" King Kong movie telling the basic story without commenting on THE ORIGINAL and Wet Jessica Lange Version.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
slowguy wrote:

That would have made you, what, 6 years old?

Nope, but my dad was seven in 1932 when he first saw it.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Kong - Skull Island [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That is what I was thinking about. Come on. You are being intentional evasive. You can't review a "new" King Kong movie telling the basic story without commenting on THE ORIGINAL and Wet Jessica Lange Version.

Sure I can. In fact, I just did.

I haven't seen the original or the '76 version in years. I'd put this one at the top, I guess. Man in a monkey suit doesn't really do it for me, and the original has it's charm, but doesn't hold up all that well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was just trying to help you improve a crappy review.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chill. Kidding. I'm a fan of your reviews.

________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's rare that I get excited about monster films, mainly because of Jackson's 2005 Kong and the latest Godzilla (2014?) but I am fancying this film. They weren't terrible, just over long, took themselves oh so seriously and were basically meh.

Maybe it'll turn me around, like Dark Knight did for superhero films.

As a side note, what I really want is a Pacific Rim vs Godzilla vs Kong cross over. That would rock.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good story/unique take on the tale; people died well; awesome photography & effects; most excellent period-perfect Classic Rock soundtrack

The cryptozoologist in me said "the body layout of the 'bad guys' doesn't really make sense to me"

D'Kid wanted the female characters to show a little more Badassery "I mean, there are guns all over the place; pick one up, girls"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the review. I'm excited to see this movie as I'm a huge King Kong fan, and it has been getting pretty good reviews.

I'm glad to hear that some feel that it's an improvement over the 2005 version-- which to me was by far the best of the first three. The original was groundbreaking for the time and a classic and I agree with the earlier reference as charming. The 1976 version was an overall disappointment considering the good cast and potential in the material. I still enjoyed it, but rank it last among the first three.

I think that much of the unique attraction to the Kong story is that the monster is actually another member of our primate family tree. That's what allows the kind of real bond of affection and empathy between the characters and Kong. That's a lot of what makes the end such a tragedy because we are witnessing the extinction of another primate species.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with your review 99%. Some of John Goodman's lines had me squirming a bit. Debated with myself whether it was the actual lines or his delivery. They both seemed bad.

The missing 1% is because I didn't sit through the credits because I was about to pee my pants. Had I known there was another scene I would've risked it but simply missed that. If it's worthy of a scene PM a synopsis or spoiler it or something if you find time. I'm curious how big they'll make this universe. Loved the Godzilla movies when I was a kid.
Quote Reply