Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes
Quote | Reply
Is anyone else getting their toes bruised after a 20 minute run? I never had this problem with the Bondi's, the toe box seems to be roomy enough. Any advice or help here is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you're familiar with the heel lock method of tying your shoes (), but that has helped minimize this for me.

I also do a fair amount of my running in Cliftons (have a pair of 2's and 3's in the current rotation), and when I stumbled upon this it greatly reduced the number of black toes I was getting. Not completely eliminated, but helped a lot.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope and I've got upwards of 1500 miles on various pairs including several half marathons, a marathon and a 50k. Might not be the shoe for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tried this today, works great, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried kicking your heel against the ground (when seated) a couple of times as you are lacing them up? It forces your foot to be in the back of the shoe, and has done wonders for my previously blackened toenails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Clifton's (2s and 3s) seem to have a narrower toebox compared to the originals.

I switched to the Hoka Claytons and they fit my wide feet much better. And as a bonus they are lighter than the Clifton's.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, had the same issue....but not just with hoka's. I've since switch to Altra's and i couldn't be happier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or go up a half size. Your toes are hitting the front of the shoes because they are too small.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liked the swim video re is it really low elbow or is it high wrist/hand that needs correction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also experienced the same problem with Hokas (Clifton and Bondi). I also switched over to Altras and it is much better. Took a few weeks to adjust to the zero drop, but I'm happy now. My issue wasn't the front of my toes hitting the front of the shoe, but rather them being squished together. I would often get cuts in between toes and also my left pinkie toe would get squished. I'm wearing Altra Paradigms now for my long runs. Not as spongy of a feel as the Hokas (which I liked), but definitely ample padding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
had tons of blisters and then started getting a lot of pain in big toe.
I switched to Altra which have a very wide toe box and I'm very happy.
They have a new model that just came out which feels very similar to the Clifton (lightweight, super soft, but not mushy)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I have 4 pairs of Clifton 2's. At first, I had blister/toenail issues. I went up a 1/2 size and things got a lot better......but, there's still the occasional issue.

I decided to get a pair of conquests, just to mix it up a little.

No issues with them. Just my .02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No bruises, but wear mark (not a blister) on the top of 3rd metatarsal on the smaller of my feet. Happened twice during a return to running from knee surgery once I got to the 15 minute mark or so. Had to shut down my running as I irritated my knee. Took 2 weeks off, then started again with same results. Sent them back. Too bad because I liked them too. If anything, I thought they ran a little large compared to 10's in Saucony. And I do not have wide feet.

I wanna go fast!
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Mar 13, 17 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
The new Clifton's (2s and 3s) seem to have a narrower toebox compared to the originals.

I switched to the Hoka Claytons and they fit my wide feet much better. And as a bonus they are lighter than the Clifton's.

+1. Claytons are much more roomy. Of note: I also went down a half-size in the Clayton versus my usual size in Kinvaras.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
MrRabbit wrote:

+1. Claytons are much more roomy. Of note: I also went down a half-size in the Clayton versus my usual size in Kinvaras.

Anyone know why the Claytons aren't on the hoka website anymore? I was checking them out on amazon and there were lots of bad reviews about blisters on the underside of people's feet.

btw, I love my Clifton 3s. On my 2nd pair now. I basically have a mini toenail on one toe now, but it's nothing I've ever noticed while running. And the cliftons are so good there's no way I'm going away from them. But would like to try the claytons.

Anybody race in the Tracers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had five pairs of the Hoka Cliftons. The first edition was pretty close to heaven. Clifton 2 was slightly narrower and my pinkie toes lost skin, however I got another pair of the Clifton 2s and my pinkie toe is ok. Love the Clifton 2, wish I could get more pairs of them. One pair of the Clifton 3 was ok, definitely significantly wider than the 2s, but my last pair of the Clifton 3 left me sorely disappointed. I felt like the Clifton was a hard brick with zero cushioning and I kept getting weird aches and pains. Moving on..the Claytons are awesome and have a lot of toe room. I raced all my 70.3s in the Clayton last year. Hoka just released the Clayton 2 and I am loving the colors. I also just purchased the Bondi 5 and I raced in them yesterday at a Duathlon and I LOVED them. Freaky fast even though they look huge! I hated the Tracers but I cannot wear flats, my back hates me when I do. My last run in the Tracers irritated my sciatic nerve and I was practically reduced to a hobble for a week. Biomechanics are not my friend. Love my Hokas, wouldn't wear any other shoe but each model has its pros and cons.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Cliftons are destroying my toes [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Anyone know why the Claytons aren't on the hoka website anymore?

They're on the website here at $130:

http://www.hokaoneone.com/sale/clayton/888855687894.html

<The Dew Abides>
Last edited by: dewman: Mar 13, 17 14:55
Quote Reply