Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Boulder 2017 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is on the bottom of the bike map on ironman.com.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/dcba01cec55a4308964df1908126f14c/ironman%20course%20map%20im%20boulder%20bike%202017%20web.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [BJGoCougs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BJGoCougs wrote:
It is on the bottom of the bike map on ironman.com.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/dcba01cec55a4308964df1908126f14c/ironman%20course%20map%20im%20boulder%20bike%202017%20web.pdf

great thanks i didnt see it

it seems pretty rolling without flat parts. how much can you stay on aerobar position more or less? considering also the traffic on lap 2 and 3, a road bike probably would not be a terrible idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74,

The elevation on this course looks deceiving on the graph. Most of the "climbs" are more like false-flats with some short pitches. Hwy 36 is a 2-3% grade until you hit some rollers once you turn north, but the hills on that are short. Neva/Niwot is a gentle downhill. North on 63rd you'll find some rollers, nothing crazy. Riding west on Nelson are about four short ramps, two of which you might find yourself in your smallest gear for a short time. Of course by the third lap you may be cursing Nelson. St. Vrain eastbound is another gentle downhill. Southbound back to the Rez is mostly flat with a couple ramps. I think you will find yourself aero more than not.

All that said, you are correct in that the athlete traffic inherent in the three-lap course design, combine with fatiguing triathletes of varying skill levels and bike-handling finesse, plus sharing the road with vehicles traveling 60+mph, you might be safer on a road bike....

sbrr
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed on course thoughts. I too think a road bike with a set of clip-ons would be a sensible consideration for many participants, all things considered. That said, if you're confident in your aero position handling abilities, that's where you'll spend most of your time on this course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So why change it....its because an IRONMAN is not just about an IRONMAN. Its about and IRONFAM....see what i did there? IRON-Fam....Family...get it! Punning around aside, IRONMAN Arizona is wildly popular because you get to enjoy the day with your family from one location. We cant do ONE location, but we are working hard to provide a new one this year.
Sorry but I think if you took a poll, most racers would rather have a 1 or 2 loop bike course. More than that is just a slog. Family will have much better opportunities to see you on the run course anyhow.

Probably my favorite course was IM Canada @ Penticton.

As for IM Arizona, I'd put the popularity on being within driving range of the southern cal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sbrrepeat wrote:
Plissken74,

The elevation on this course looks deceiving on the graph. Most of the "climbs" are more like false-flats with some short pitches. Hwy 36 is a 2-3% grade until you hit some rollers once you turn north, but the hills on that are short. Neva/Niwot is a gentle downhill. North on 63rd you'll find some rollers, nothing crazy. Riding west on Nelson are about four short ramps, two of which you might find yourself in your smallest gear for a short time. Of course by the third lap you may be cursing Nelson. St. Vrain eastbound is another gentle downhill. Southbound back to the Rez is mostly flat with a couple ramps. I think you will find yourself aero more than not.

All that said, you are correct in that the athlete traffic inherent in the three-lap course design, combine with fatiguing triathletes of varying skill levels and bike-handling finesse, plus sharing the road with vehicles traveling 60+mph, you might be safer on a road bike....

sbrr

Good explanation. Will confirm the only climb you'll be out of aero for is most likely Nelson Road from the orange arrow just east of 55th up to about 49th and then again from about the "o" in Nelson to 39th on the Ironman map.

Those climbs looks less substantial than the are because they're climbs originating from false-flats. You'll curse yourself because you don't understand why you aren't going faster.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea what the water temp normally is during June, for the reservoir???

I don't mind if it's a little warm but I really don't like the water temp when it's in the low 60s.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:
Any idea what the water temp normally is during June, for the reservoir???

I don't mind if it's a little warm but I really don't like the water temp when it's in the low 60s.

Thanks

Mid to low 70's

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll want a wetsuit because it's gross to swim in the res. you won't need one though. at least not due to water temp.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Is it true that the Ironman Boulder bike course is changing again this year? And that there is a different race director?

Words.?

I posted a review of the new bike course with a video of the whole course, gpx files etc.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
do you have a bike elevation map somewhere for the new course? or can I understand it from the old profile somehow?

I put the GPX file on my post about the new course if that helps

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Rob, Thanks for the awesome post about the course. I wont be able to check it out until race time, so this helps alot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Hey Rob, Thanks for the awesome post about the course. I wont be able to check it out until race time, so this helps alot.

you're welcome - if you have any questions just shoot me a message any time - I ride parts of that course almost every day

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we are less than two weeks out! Anybody have any last minute information they can share?
How's the water temperature lately?
What's the roads looking like?
Any big changes to the transition areas?
Etc....

I'm really excited, hope everyone else is too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has Ironman Boulder ever been non wetsuit legal?
Also is there a site that monitors water temps?
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a few years ago. You could wear one but couldn't qualify for Kona slots or awards.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 2017 [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Has Ironman Boulder ever been non wetsuit legal?
Also is there a site that monitors water temps?

You usually just need to call the front gate at Boulder Res (should be able to find online). They can usually update you with most current water temps.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply

Prev Next