Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Only 30 Athletes at Ironman 70.3 Saipan ?
Quote | Reply
I was just browsing the results:

http://www.ironman.com/...y=2017#axzz4b4Hyusc0

It looks like only 30 athletes were at it.....so maybe everyone got a slot for 70.3 World's too!!!!

I was eyeing this event in Saipan for the future. I thought I had visited the eastern most point in the USA at Point Udall on the Island of St. Croix in the USVI, but it turns out that the Marianas Islands are west of the international date line....so they are the most "EAST" in the US. This island is 12 miles long and 5 miles wide but the heighest point is 480m which is decent for something that small. Mainly I want to go there because it was a big momentum change in the Pacific Theatre putting the USAF B-29's in range of mainland Japan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saipan

The loss of Saipan was a heavy blow to both the military and civilian administration of Japanese Prime Minister Hideki TÅjÅ. According to one Japanese admiral: "Our war was lost with the loss of Saipan." U.S. Marine Corps General Holland Smith said: "It was the decisive battle of the Pacific offensive [..] it opened the way to the Japanese home islands

Quote Reply
Re: Only 30 Athletes at Ironman 70.3 Saipan ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's still only 11:16 am there. Possible all the results are not posted?
Quote Reply
Re: Only 30 Athletes at Ironman 70.3 Saipan ? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, that would make more sense! Would kind of suck to have a race with only 30 people!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, that would make more sense! Would kind of suck to have a race with only 30 people!

Sounds pretty nice to me, to be honest.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would kind of suck to have a race with only 30 people!
---

Some of the best run, highest quality races are put on by small, local companies. But, since they are not the WTC, they don't get the same fanfare and have a low turnout. Which is a shame, given my experiences that led me to write the first sentence in my post.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like 107 official finishers...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the worst race I ever had from a time standpoint has ST Croix 2015. I had a good swim and did the bike in 330. Which considering I had biked outside twice before the race and the longest was 27 miles was okay. They I had a total meltdown on the run and overheated and came in in 7:20. That cool race director guy (I think his name is Tom) sees me coming past the finish on that extra loop at the end into town and asks me if I am okay. I take it I looked not so good. Spend an hour in the medical tent under a cooling blanket. Anyway I go to the awards banquet and they are basically giving away the last few world 70.3 spots if I wanted one I could have picked it up. Unfortunately I had already committed to another race with a friend that weekend.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Only 30 Athletes at Ironman 70.3 Saipan ? [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shanks wrote:
Looks like 107 official finishers...

OK, I'll update the thread title
Quote Reply