Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: tips [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
Some of the people expecting tips irks me too.

I work in a running specialty store. I can spend 30-60 minutes with someone going through a personalized fit process, gait analysis, and putting on numerous pairs of shoes on their feet including tying the laces. All personal service. Never a tip expected. Yet a person who spends 10 seconds pouring a drink expects a tip. And most of the staff in the running store makes about the same wages as the coffee server.

I'm not advocating that we receive tips and I'm a guy who regularly tips at least 20%, but sometimes it doesn't seem like some of the situations where people are getting tips are justified. It's gotten out of hand.

Exactly. IMO, anyone giving personal service deserves much more. Barber should get 10x what bartender does. And don't get me started on waiters in high end restaurants. Does the waiter bringing a $200 bottle of wine deserve a $40 tip while the one bringing a $20 bottle only deserve $4? They are doing the exact same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: tips [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm all for tipping if someone has waited on me. Standing in line, placing an order and waiting for my name or number to be called doesn't warrant a tip. I only tip more than 15% if I received great service.
Quote Reply
Re: tips [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
I work in a running specialty store. I can spend 30-60 minutes with someone going through a personalized fit process, gait analysis, and putting on numerous pairs of shoes on their feet including tying the laces. All personal service. Never a tip expected.

I've had something similar done and I really appreciated the service but it made me wonder how often do people use your expertise and then don't buy shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: tips [mustangchef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the Girls Scout Cookie moms? They are there every weekend for at least six weeks and when you do not buy cookies each and every time you pass buy they glare at you.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: tips [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best local running shop here has similar service, plus they'll exchange shoes for up to 30 days if they're not working out as you get some runs in. If they help me find a new pair, I'll always buy the first pair from them, even if they're at full retail (which they almost always are at this store). If I'm buying the same model after that, I'll go online and buy subsequent pairs at a big discount. I'll never be that guy who uses their knowledge and then won't buy anything, but I know people who do & that seems pretty crappy to me. There's a strong place for a personalized service model, but it seems that it's becoming much more niche with a lot of categories. Local book stores were decimated by B&N, which is now being crushed by Amazon, possibly bringing back a more retracted market for local book sellers, for example.

Perseus wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
I work in a running specialty store. I can spend 30-60 minutes with someone going through a personalized fit process, gait analysis, and putting on numerous pairs of shoes on their feet including tying the laces. All personal service. Never a tip expected.

I've had something similar done and I really appreciated the service but it made me wonder how often do people use your expertise and then don't buy shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: tips [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't tell them you dislike G.S. cookies lest the glare become a stare of death instead. I will not make that mistake again.

Billabong wrote:
How about the Girls Scout Cookie moms? They are there every weekend for at least six weeks and when you do not buy cookies each and every time you pass buy they glare at you.
Quote Reply
Re: tips [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

It doesn't happen too often, maybe 5%. Our staff all wear shirts that say "Buy It Where You Try It." I'm not concerned about tips. I much prefer referrals. Providing a great service and having them tell their friends.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply

Prev Next