Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation
Quote | Reply
Dull topic I know but I've been tasked with this by my wife and google is hard. Suggestions that fit the following requirements are welcome:

- Two boys, 5.5 and 2.5. They're good for hikes up to 4 or 5 miles (carrying the little one).
- Looking for a fun base town within 2 days reasonable driving of NYC;
- Ideally in an area of really outstanding natural beauty with easy access to hiking trails and other attractions that would appeal to boys - trying to keep it outdoorsey (Disneyland will come later);
- Great running for me, good food and wine scene for my wife

We'll have a full 2 weeks less driving time so would be up for exploring an area but really want to minimize logistics (we've done a lot of international travel with the kids and are beaten down!).

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
Dull topic I know but I've been tasked with this by my wife and google is hard. Suggestions that fit the following requirements are welcome:

- Two boys, 5.5 and 2.5. They're good for hikes up to 4 or 5 miles (carrying the little one).
- Ideally in an area of really outstanding natural beauty with easy access to hiking trails and other attractions that would appeal to boys - trying to keep it outdoorsey (Disneyland will come later);

We'll have a full 2 weeks less driving time so would be up for exploring an area but really want to minimize logistics (we've done a lot of international travel with the kids and are beaten down!).

Bar Harbor, ME.
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
Bretom wrote:

Bar Harbor, ME.

Back of the net. This looks great, thank you. Other suggestions welcome but this looks perfect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Portland, ME. Fun local scene, plenty of good bars and restaurants, lots of other attractions within a few hours drive (Acadia Nat'l Park/Bar Harbor, Camden, White Mountains in NH, Boston, Cape Cod, etc.).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bar Harbor's pretty sweet, can't go wrong with that, but another option is renting a place on the finger lakes in Upstate NY. Lot of options for getting out on the lakes, hiking (Watkins Glen can be beautiful), Seneca Falls has a ton of history, and some incredible wineries in the area. From there a day trip to Niagara falls is possible, too--prob 2.5-3 hour drive from the finger lakes area.

Just a thought...but I'd probably choose Bar Harbor over it anyway :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Le Bernardin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We spend several days every summer in Delhi, NY. There is quite a bit to do in the surrounding area. Might be some larger towns around with more options (Oneonta, NY is the nearest town of any size) or maybe even head into the Finger Lakes area.

We stay with in-laws, so most of our time is spent on family stuff and in the backyard pool, but the running is not too bad and they have a neat little golf course.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thought: Halifax, NS. Another beautiful coastal town, lots to do outside the city. Reason I mention it: get a small taste of Canada, the food I had was incredible, really fun nightlife, AND you can take a ferry to and from Boston, which the kids might get a kick out of--and that way you wrap Boston into the trip too. Might be too much logistically, but it's a thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of our favorite trips was renting a house in the mountains just west of Monticello( Jeffersons Estate.) Hike the Appellation Trail, visit Charlottesville, Easten Shores, cook in the house and chill.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Le Bernardin.

This would be funny if it wan't a little creepy - I am currently sat, as I am almost every day, 200 (vertical) feet from Le Bernadin. We did actually take one of the kids there but we didn't know it at the time...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiawah Island
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree - Bar Harbor would be my first choice.

Might also consider the Jackson/Conway NH area. Close to Mt. Washington, loads of hiking, I also hear good things about storyland from folks with young kids - although this might be too disneyesque.

Could also consider Burlington VT - admittedly, I don't know as much about Burlington, but throwing out other things you could research.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bar Harbor is very nice.

Avoid the Beehive hike in Acadia. Not for small children or those afraid of heights. Sister-in-law told us we had to go, and it wasn't that big of deal. Kids were 6,8,10, and 12. Had to help the 6 year old quite a bit on way up (you couldn't really turn around and go back down the way you came). Was very stressful.

We also really enjoyed Lake Placid. The kids would swim and play in Mirror Lake, while the wife and I would take turns running/ swimming. There is a mini-triathlon every Monday night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asheville, NC

Great hiking, Blue Ridge Parkway, Biltmore, great wine/food/beer scene.
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Asheville
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife loves that place.

She was served some live scallops about 10 years ago and still talks about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn you! First response is the best.
And my second choice was taken too (Halifax)
And my 3rd (White Mountains)!

How about Montreal/Quebec City?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, we didn't do much on our last east coast trip but what we did worked out pretty well. Spent almost a week on the CT coast in New Haven just relaxing and catching up with family in the area then a total surprise of a positive couple days at Sesame Place just outside of Philadelphia. I say surprising because I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did or for the kids to have as much fun - met some really cool folks and actors and generally just had a blast. If your kids are into Sesame street at all (any of the characters) it is a decent place to spend time. Not as crazy as Disney but still plenty to see/do and all with a very family friendly view.

Good luck and enjoy family time regardless of where!
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
Asheville, NC

Great hiking, Blue Ridge Parkway, Biltmore, great wine/food/beer scene.

Not sure about the drive time but the Outer Banks, NC are awesome. Partial to the Beaufort/Atlantic Beach area.
Quote Reply
Re: Plan my family East Coast(ish) Summer vacation [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Another thought: Halifax, NS. Another beautiful coastal town, lots to do outside the city. Reason I mention it: get a small taste of Canada, the food I had was incredible, really fun nightlife, AND you can take a ferry to and from Boston, which the kids might get a kick out of--and that way you wrap Boston into the trip too. Might be too much logistically, but it's a thought.

the Ferry runs between Yarmouth and Portland (ME), Yarmouth is about a 3 hour drive from Halifax.

Halifax is a pretty nice small city, lots of history, easy to get to the Annapolis Valley (1 hour) or Cape Breton (4 -5 hours). The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is gorgeous.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another reason to come to Halifax, Nova Scotia wine has gotten pretty good over the years. It's not France or California, but it's still pretty good, better than a lot of Aussie wines I've tried. The local wineries have developed certain grapes that do well specifically in our growing conditions.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply