Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
It's an interesting chart. But liberal MMA fans? They're just about dead center. You want liberal fans, check out the WNBA viewers. (Shocking!)

I am a little surprised by the WWE fans on the left, as well as by monster truck fans not being way farther to the right.

You seem to confusing politics with sports & hobby interests. They're not the same thing.
Someone should tell that to the hosts of pretty much everthing on espn. The could probably pull the nose up if they'd quit with there political lecturing and just stuck to sports.

truth
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
I think they will be around because that live content is valuable for advertising. Most people won't DVR a game and FF through commercials. However, the prices they are paying for rights to broadcast that content can't stay where it is. I have a feeling they will cut down on the number of opinion shows, cut down on number of analysts for their NBA, NFL, MLB shows etc. I could also see more radio shows getting moved to the flagship ESPN and ESPN2 to fill time rather than being on ESPNNews (just show reruns of SportsCenter there).

They have too little live content though
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jemele Hill epically alienating everyone bus Luscan
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they can all become pilots.
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have too little live content though //

Just thinking of when I even watch their channels, and if not for the live poker and some taped shows, it would be never. Not really a fan of the big 3 US sports though, so no surprise I guess. But they got me for every minute of the live streaming poker in the recent WSOP main event, at least the minutes I didn't fast forward through....
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

Drone racers

OH! Here's a tip: DO NOT watch drone racing while running on the treadmill

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have jumped the shark with the Card Games, Brain power yes, sports skills no.

Now they are showing Drone Racing and Cornhole.

Their model for delivering sports was extraordinary, it was decades ahead of their competition, but like all other things that become obsolete they failed to see the changes coming.

Why watch ESPN when I can get sport specific coverage, on the MLB, NHL, NBA NFL Networks. FOX, NBC Sports and BEIN have far superior Soccer coverage although ESPNFC is a very good show. Plus NBC Sports and BEIN will show cycling and triathlon racing.

In small chunks I can watch Around the Horn and in smaller pieces PTI, I can only take so much of Wilbon and his biased or uniformed opinions. (All cyclists are cheaters ban the sport, praise Shawn Merriman)

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I caught some World Championship Darts tournament on FS1 the other night, hosted by Chris Meyers. It was refreshing to watch, the presentation reminded me of ESPN back in the early and mid-80's. Just one host who wasn't an expert, with the focus of the program on the actual sport and not a bunch of know-it-alls or former players relentlessly going on about their own careers.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:

Drone racers

I saw that episode riding a stationary bike. It was actually fun because it was different. As for ESPN surviving for 10 years, maybe, but not in it's present form.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
RandMart wrote:
trail wrote:

Drone racers

I saw that episode riding a stationary bike...

Did you straighten up or crouch down or lean left or right to get through the gates? Yeah, don't do that while running, unless you are very sure where you're putting your feet

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I watched around the horn last night for the first time in awhile. It was like watching cable news. Each talking head was trying to outdo the other to get to the left of the issue. Pretty sure Bernie Sanders would have been the conservative on that panel
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GorillaPundit has something to say about this: ;-)

"So only just now is ESPN admitting yeah, our ratings are in the crapper, and yeah, they went there because of stupid sh* like Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem and our virtue-signaling announcers and color commentators applauding it. Apparently, it has just now dawned on the rocket scientists in charge of ESPN programming that turning everything into a political lecture is not good for business. And has anyone seen Roger Goodell around lately? Last I heard, he was crying into his beer over the election results, and who gives a rat's ass what that brainless toad thinks about politics? The man is obviously incompetent. I wouldn't trust him to lead a cub scout to a candy store. The NFL needs to get a new commissioner who promotes professional football and keeps his fat yap shut about everything else."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

"So only just now is ESPN admitting yeah, our ratings are in the crapper, and yeah, they went there because of stupid sh* like Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem and our virtue-signaling announcers and color commentators applauding it. Apparently, it has just now dawned on the rocket scientists in charge of ESPN programming that turning everything into a political lecture is not good for business. And has anyone seen Roger Goodell around lately? Last I heard, he was crying into his beer over the election results, and who gives a rat's ass what that brainless toad thinks about politics? The man is obviously incompetent. I wouldn't trust him to lead a cub scout to a candy store. The NFL needs to get a new commissioner who promotes professional football and keeps his fat yap shut about everything else."

Gorilla pundit is racist!
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Gorilla pundit is racist!

Say that to his face, big guy. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is that for the longest time the more ESPN expanded the more money they made. When things started to go the other way someone decided they would get involved in politics and be liberal. Anything but their sports coverage is about as unwatchable as a soap opera. They put two to four people on the screen who argue to no end, relentlessly call the other people crazy.

I think Disney will dump ESPN and watch as the bad sports broadcastings contracts sinks them.
Quote Reply
Re: Will ESPN be around in ten years? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
My guess is that for the longest time the more ESPN expanded the more money they made. When things started to go the other way someone decided they would get involved in politics and be liberal. Anything but their sports coverage is about as unwatchable as a soap opera. They put two to four people on the screen who argue to no end, relentlessly call the other people crazy.

I think Disney will dump ESPN and watch as the bad sports broadcastings contracts sinks them.

What's interesting is that there several reports and non-scientific surveys that say sports journalists today are more left-leaning than they've ever been in the past. I've been a (low-level) journalist. I'm more of the "play it straight down the middle" camp and I'm not really interested in the kind of advocacy and ideological journalism and subtle commentary that many sports journalists interject into their stories these days. It's been a big turnoff for me with ESPN, which I used to love partly for the Chris Berman shtick and its nonpartisan sports commentary and journalism. Why it felt it had to go so far left is beyond me.

Quote Reply

Prev Next