Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Officially it's a 17 footer but it's a few inches longer bow to stern. It's pretty thin okoume ply stitched and glued with epoxy with fiberglass over the whole thing outside and some areas inside. Finished weight will be between 45 and 50 pounds. I made some parts heavier than the plans while others are a bit slimmer. Advertised finished weight is 47 I think. That's generally significantly lighter than a 17 foot plastic boat and maybe a tad heavier than a similar fiberglass/kevlar boat. I can easily lift it onto my roof rack and I'm not a big guy (5'10'' and 154lbs)

http://www.clcboats.com/...t-sea-kayak-kit.html
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Always wanted to build a boat but with my record of starting projects and not finishing it's a good thing I never started ...

If you're interested in scaling up, there's an excellent series of videos on building a Rhode Island work skiff. About 30 videos so far and the skiff isn't done yet.

1st video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C22Crc7XHoI

I highly recommend grabbing a beer and binge-watching.

You might think you already know how to use a Skilsaw. You will be humbled and awed by Lou's ability.

I love listening to Lou. I have it run in the background while I work just for his awesome New England accent.

A buddy of mine restored a burnt out 35 foot lobster boat complete with a winch and a neat little diesel engine. The thing is a TANK. huge decks with regular deck chairs set up. We live on a large lake in the Northeast so it's total overkill for the water here but it's the most badass boat to put around at 4 knots. I love workboats. If I ever build a motorboat it'll be some sort of fishing boat with a 50 - 100HP outboard.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree with fishgo here, I've owned many canoes and still have not built that cedar-strip boat..
Building is either a difficult home project requiring woodworking skills, or expensive if using a kit.

The kits from CLC are about $1200, you can get a decent used canoe made of indestructible plastic for less than that.
A basic sporting-goods canoe should be $600-800 new, the Old Town Guide 119 is a reasonably light (under 50lbs) and stable boat, good for puttering around and fishing.
I mostly fish from an Old Town Discovery 158, a fine do-everything boat - but it is 80lbs and I no longer enjoy hefting it around..
Last edited by: doug in co: Mar 15, 17 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
That sort of thing amazes me. Very talented. Decades of experience to get that level of mastery.

Have you seen the epidode where Lou cuts off the frame ends? He uses an angle grinder with a circular saw blade mounted on the arbor.

Impressive, and a bit terrifying at the same time. But he has perfect control.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IHOP wrote:
With the weather warming up I want to get out and do some fishing on some of the nearby lakes and was thinking about making my own canoe or kayak. I've seen a few forums that somewhat detail making a plywood canoe that look fairly easy and inexpensive. I was wondering if anyone on here has made themselves a canoe, kayak, or small boat and if they have any advice.

Bought a book for building cedar strip canoes, read it, reviewed the amount of space I'd need, time available and said f - that. I know a guy...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone ever build their own canoe or kayak? [IHOP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made one as a kid with my Dad back in 72/73.(mostly him but I helped) Wood frame wrapped in fiberglass. Wood slats for the floor. Still remember working on it during Super Bowl 7 watching my Skins go down.

Should be a fun project and a boat you can be proud to use.
Quote Reply

Prev Next