Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc Advice
Quote | Reply
Looking for some input. I have a newer Renn disc (23mm rim) that I got last year, but I may be able to get a good deal on a Hed Jet+ disc. I just wanted to see if this was an upgrade or not. Is the ride quality that much different between a structural disc and a Hed? I've only ever ridden structural discs - Mavic and Renn. Is the ride quality that much better with a fairing style disc and a wider rim (23-25mm)? The only advantage I truly see with the Hed is that the disc is truable, but I don't know if this is as big a deal as I think it is. Also, to be completely honest, I like the woosh. For the record I'm on a QR PRsix. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Disc Advice [CajunCannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ride quality will be similar if not 'better' with the wider rim and a wider tire. I've ridden both (haven't owned but ridden) and as much as I want to believe I can discern a difference in compliance, I can't. It had, for me, to do with tires, saddle, and terrain (think leaves in a spring engineering concept). The differences that I'd look for, in just the wheels, are hub quality and serviceability. And, the whoosh is cool. Let's face it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I've read somewhere that the flat shape of the Renn disc is better than the shape on the HED behind aero chainstays. Sorry, don't remember the details.

Another advantage is that you don't have to use rim tape on structural discs.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't really much of an upgrade. Which one is faster is dependent on your current frame and frame wheel interactions, but in all honesty the difference will be negligible at race speeds unless you have YUGE crosswinds.

The only real differences I noted were
1. lateral stiffness of the Renn is less than the HED (or any spoked wheel for that matter).
2. The HED doesn't have the disc wheel "rumble" sounds
3. The interface between the brake track and the rim on the Renn could have been smoother, so there is maybe a watt or so of lost aero advantage compared to a more expensive solid disc (Zipp).
Quote Reply