Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada
Quote | Reply
So I fucked up on the length of spokes for my flo wheel build. I measured and re-measured the ERD and thought I had everything correct.

I used a reputable calculator and was given the number 277. I order 278 as per advice I received from an expert. I have since laced the wheel (20 hole radial0 and finger tightened each spoke and ended up with a spokes bottoming out prior to getting full tension.

I live in Northern Canada, I do not have access to anyone who sells these spokes, or as far as I know cuts them.

Any ideas?
Maybe add a second nipple washer (They are 14mm so I can do that) but that might not be enough. Perhaps someone knows someone that can cut spokes in Canada. Perhaps Calgary or Edmonton?

P.s Are flo rims drilled in alternate pattern, if so it is hard to tell...
Last edited by: Triagain3: Mar 9, 17 5:14
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, what to do. Flo rim. [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Flo's are not alternate drilled.

You may be able to use shorter nipples. If not, is there and LBS anywhere near you that has a spoke cutter? There should me enough room at the end of the spoke to cut and re-thread them.

That's all I've got.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, what to do. Flo rim. [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
I have since laced the wheel (20 hole radial) and finger tightened each spoke and ended up with a spokes bottoming out prior to getting full tension.

Are you bottoming out with only finger tension? Do you have a good spoke holder?
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, what to do. Flo rim. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The probable cause of this is not allowing for spoke stretch on these thin spokes.
I usually allow 2mm over a standard 14g.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, what to do. Flo rim. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
The probable cause of this is not allowing for spoke stretch on these thin spokes.
I usually allow 2mm over a standard 14g.

Yeah. I originally was going to go with 276, changed my mind on some advice I was given. My fault. I think looking at the current length though I may have them cut to 275mm.

I just need to find someone in Albertal or Saskatchewan who can cut spokes.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, what to do. Flo rim. [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Triagain3 wrote:
I have since laced the wheel (20 hole radial) and finger tightened each spoke and ended up with a spokes bottoming out prior to getting full tension.

Are you bottoming out with only finger tension? Do you have a good spoke holder?

Hey rruff, I am bottoming out with finger tension. The spokes are likely 2mm too long, might even get away with 3mm. I am not sure where I screwed up as 277mm should have put me at full tension with spoke end flush with the nipple slot.

That is not the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I understand correctly you are bottoming out before you even put any tension on the spoke at all? Spoke is sticking out past the nipple a couple mm? As I recall these spokes will stretch ~1mm max. But there is additional distortion of the rim, hub, and J-bend primarily. I think you are off more than 2mm. If it was 2mm off and you had a good spoke holder, I'd say go ahead and build it, but don't go crazy with tension, keep it ~80kg. Washers will help.

Check to make sure the spokes are actually the length you ordered. Measure the hub and rim and and calculate the length again. Shouldn't be any surprises.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What FatandSlow said - there are 12mm and 14mm nipples. If you bought 14mm, you could gain 2mm right there.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [Triagain3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you plan to do many wheels you may want one of these:

http://www.treefortbikes.com/...-Spoke-Threader.html

I know it's pricey but I bought one and am very happy with it. You'll never have to worry about spoke lengths again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
So if I understand correctly you are bottoming out before you even put any tension on the spoke at all? Spoke is sticking out past the nipple a couple mm? As I recall these spokes will stretch ~1mm max. But there is additional distortion of the rim, hub, and J-bend primarily. I think you are off more than 2mm. If it was 2mm off and you had a good spoke holder, I'd say go ahead and build it, but don't go crazy with tension, keep it ~80kg. Washers will help.

Check to make sure the spokes are actually the length you ordered. Measure the hub and rim and and calculate the length again. Shouldn't be any surprises.

Oh I fucked up somewhere.

Just not sure where. I quickly measured the spokes last night and they seemed to be 278mm.

I must have screwed up on measuring the ERD of the rim. The measurement for the hub that I used in the calculations was accurate.

I think 3mm shorter and I would be golden.
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found a company with a Phil spoke cutter in Calgary. I may just ship the spokes to them to cut.

I have to find out if these spokes are long enough to cut, and now I have to find the correct length.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phil Wood spoke machine is the bomb!

If for some reason you have a hard time getting it done you can ship them to me and I'll do them for you. (I have a friend in Windsor so you can ship domestically).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
So I fucked up on the length of spokes for my flo wheel build. I measured and re-measured the ERD and thought I had everything correct.

I used a reputable calculator and was given the number 277. I order 278 as per advice I received from an expert. I have since laced the wheel (20 hole radial0 and finger tightened each spoke and ended up with a spokes bottoming out prior to getting full tension.

I live in Northern Canada, I do not have access to anyone who sells these spokes, or as far as I know cuts them.

Any ideas?
Maybe add a second nipple washer (They are 14mm so I can do that) but that might not be enough. Perhaps someone knows someone that can cut spokes in Canada. Perhaps Calgary or Edmonton?

All of our rims, the FLO 30, 45, 60, and 90 are drilled in an alternate pattern.

Have a great day,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:

Poke something down the hole that's a similar diameter, maybe just a little smaller.

Gently rock it from side to side - in one position it will stand upright and in the other it will lean over. Repeat for the next hole to check etc.

I have hidden nipples and a cocktail stick worked perfect for me :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they were.

The offset from center must be small. Perhaps half mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my rims (not flo), the spoke holes were on the centreline, but drilled at a slight angle to suit the direction it needed to point.

Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Must be same on these rims.

Can you explain your method too me a little clearer.

Are you letting the spoke hang from the hole? If not how do you get it to stand up in the hole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, for the purpose of everything below, let’s pretend the rim is on the bike in the upright position and you are sat on the bike :-)

· Starting next to the valve, position a spoke hole on the bottom of the wheel.
· Loosely hold the cocktail stick (or round section of the spoke etc) in the spoke hole.
· Loosely lean it over to the crank side of the bike – note the position.
· Loosely lean it over to the non crank side of the bike – note the position.
· Compared to vertical, rocking it to one side will produce far greater movement than rocking it to the other. Take note of which way rocks most.
· Rotate wheel one spoke hole and repeat – you should note the same movement but to the opposite side of the bike.

If we pretend that the cocktail stick (or spoke) is a clock hand I found that :

· The first hole allowed movement between 11 & 12.
· The second hole allowed movement between 12 & 1.
· The third hole allowed movement between 11 & 12.
· Fourth = 12 & 1
· Etc

Once you know the above you can decide which is the left and right side of the rim and which is the first spoke etc.

There may be other easier ways (like the manufacturer putting a sticker on the rim lol) but the above worked well on my rims and when you try it - it produces a very obvious result.

Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
OK, for the purpose of everything below, let’s pretend the rim is on the bike in the upright position and you are sat on the bike :-)

· Starting next to the valve, position a spoke hole on the bottom of the wheel.
· Loosely hold the cocktail stick (or round section of the spoke etc) in the spoke hole.
· Loosely lean it over to the crank side of the bike – note the position.
· Loosely lean it over to the non crank side of the bike – note the position.
· Compared to vertical, rocking it to one side will produce far greater movement than rocking it to the other. Take note of which way rocks most.
· Rotate wheel one spoke hole and repeat – you should note the same movement but to the opposite side of the bike.

If we pretend that the cocktail stick (or spoke) is a clock hand I found that :

· The first hole allowed movement between 11 & 12.
· The second hole allowed movement between 12 & 1.
· The third hole allowed movement between 11 & 12.
· Fourth = 12 & 1
· Etc

Once you know the above you can decide which is the left and right side of the rim and which is the first spoke etc.

There may be other easier ways (like the manufacturer putting a sticker on the rim lol) but the above worked well on my rims and when you try it - it produces a very obvious result.

Got it. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
I thought they were.

Yes. 0.38mm on the FLO 30s and the Carbon Clincher FLO 45, 60 and 90 are all centered but angled.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: 20 cx-ray spoke 2-3mm too long, Looking for Spoke Cutting Service in Canada [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Triagain3 wrote:
I thought they were.

Yes. 0.38mm on the FLO 30s and the Carbon Clincher FLO 45, 60 and 90 are all centered but angled.

Are the Flo 30's angled as well or just offset.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can try to contact United Cycle in Edmonton. I had a broken spoke fixed there a while ago. I know that they do have a spoke cutting tool and then put the treads on the spoke. Give them a shout and see if they can help you. Also you can try Pedal Head. JC

unitedcycle.com
pedalheadroadworks.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain3 wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Triagain3 wrote:
I thought they were.

Are the Flo 30's angled as well or just offset.?

The FLO 30s are just offset and not angled.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bringing out the caliper.
Quote Reply