Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming in NYC area?
Quote | Reply
Planning a possible move to NYC very soon for a new job - I am in DC at the moment and my swimming has been coming along really well for the past 6-12 months and I'd like to keep going. A google search for pools in NYC doesn't seem to bring up much hope. Do we have any NYC metro area residents with any tips on good indoor/outdoor swimming?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in NYC area? [frostysauce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What area of NYC?

For Manhattan, look at Chelsea piers (nice but pricey). A few options in Brooklyn - I swim in a public pool which is very basic but not too crowded (Metropolitan pool in Williamsburg), and there are a few other public pools across the city.

For OW, Coney Island or NJ are the only options that I know of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah what area of New York, then use swimmers guide. When I am in Manhattan I use Vanderbilt YMCA. Don't forget a swim cap as some pools require them.

frostysauce wrote:
Planning a possible move to NYC very soon for a new job - I am in DC at the moment and my swimming has been coming along really well for the past 6-12 months and I'd like to keep going. A google search for pools in NYC doesn't seem to bring up much hope. Do we have any NYC metro area residents with any tips on good indoor/outdoor swimming?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of threads on here about this so do a search - IMO your best bet is a master's team as pool space and time is scarce. Google Bearcats, Red Tide, Asphalt Green, TNYA, NYC Hydras. They all have different schedules and practice at various pools so you can choose what is best for you.

That said, Battery Park Community Center has a good pool that is open in the evenings for $15, and in the summertime there a a number of NYC Public pools that are open for lap swimming in the morning/evening.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some decent pools, but most require some sort of membership. What area are you looking to move to and where will you be working?

There are several Equinox gyms throughout Manhattan that have pools.

Asphalt Green has two facilities with beautiful pools.

Riverbank State Park has a great pool.

A lot of the colleges in and around the city have pools as well - a lot of master's programs use college pools and I think some colleges offer memberships to non-students.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in NYC area? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks guys - I'll be working around the corner from the WTC, so pretty far downtown. Guess I'll have to join masters eventually sometime. None of the gyms with pools would show up in a google maps search to give some sort of map of where they are at. I will most likely be living in Brooklyn or somewhere near my office in downtown if I can swing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asphalt Green's Batter Park location is super close to WTC

Last edited by: ninagski: Mar 9, 17 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in NYC area? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm seconding Chelsea Piers - if you're living downtown on the west side, it's easy to get to (esp by bike!). Nicest swimming pool in NYC IMO, and there's a tri team ($$$ and not so much my scene) and very nice masters swim team too. I have sometimes swum with TNYA which has workouts all over town, you could look into that too - and the 14th St. YMCA pool is popular too. In general you will find (I am sorry to say) that pool access/crowding are worse in NYC than elsewhere - I teach at Columbia, but find the pool there unusably crowded during open swim hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in NYC area? [triaspirational] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man what I would give to not have to swim at Columbia's pool. I have classes basically all day so have to do the 7-9:30 rec swim and its impossible to do intervals. I imagine most pools aren't that bad though considering how they have such limited hours for ours and then often close lanes for the diving team as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to provide details on this pool publicly but I don't frequent it much anymore so I'll spill the beans:

Battery Park Community Center: http://bpcparks.org/...yvesant-high-school/

It's $15 for a drop-in but rarely crowded, annual memberships are also available for a significant discount. It's about a 5 min walk from the WTC. Unfortunately no AM lap swim but great for a post-work drop in.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someone's already mentioned it but if you're looking for just what pools are in the area:

https://www.swimmersguide.com/FindFacilityonMapinCity.aspx

Quote Reply