Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data)
Quote | Reply
So want to spring for my first tri bike and got a SlowTwitch approved bike fit.

Pad Stack: 718mm (BB vertical to top of pad)
Pad Reach: 514mm (tip of saddle to back of pad)

I have lots of other fit coordinates too if that helps (e.g. saddle height 828mm) and was fitted with 165mm cranks to get my position.

I am 6'2" 190 pounds (trying to get lighter) if that matters too.

Fitter recommended Scott Plasma, P2/P3, Shiv, Trek Speed Concept.

I was a bit bummed that he didnt think the Canyon Speedmax would fit. I am in love with that bike (mostly aesthetics but still).
Last edited by: holograham: Mar 7, 17 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data) [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not an expert on bike Fitting but the Canyon Website has stack/reach specified.
It looks like you should fit a Speedmax CF(not the SLX though) without too much fuss. Size XL fits the coordinates - but my untrained eye would suggest to go for the L although it looks just a bit small from the stack/reach you provided.
Quote Reply
Re: Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data) [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we see the rest of the Fit data? Something doesn't seem right.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Attached picture of fit data
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
just looking at the data you shared, I highly recommend you consider a fit elsewhere. Those armpad coordinates seem unorthodox and the seat tube angle/saddle setback is poor for a tri bike. You are configured on a road bike with aerobars.

Please send pictures or video of the position and I can better advise.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know we have addressed this more and more on here but it is really sad to see how much money is wasted on bike fits. And more sad is most of the time the person getting fitted has no clue so they are taken advantage of by a fitter who doesn't seem to care/know what is best.

trentnix wrote:
holograham wrote:
just looking at the data you shared, I highly recommend you consider a fit elsewhere. Those armpad coordinates seem unorthodox and the seat tube angle/saddle setback is poor for a tri bike. You are configured on a road bike with aerobars.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data) [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I know we have addressed this more and more on here but it is really sad to see how much money is wasted on bike fits. And more sad is most of the time the person getting fitted has no clue so they are taken advantage of by a fitter who doesn't seem to care/know what is best.

trentnix wrote:
holograham wrote:

i don't think malice or apathy can be prescribed as a motivation when inexperience or lack of knowledge is a sufficient explanation. It is unfortunate that so much money is wasted on bad fits, but even more unfortunate people buy bikes with no fit at all.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Not always fitters fault, not always buyers fault, but it just take a bit of research to see what works well. I also think that part of the issue is, like a doctor or dentist or mechanic, we don't question things during the fit process because we trust the fitter. I was guilty of that during my first fit but thankfully my bike was the right size so I was able to tweak things as I got more knowledge of fit.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Another First Tri Bike Question (with fit data) [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Agreed. Not always fitters fault, not always buyers fault, but it just take a bit of research to see what works well. I also think that part of the issue is, like a doctor or dentist or mechanic, we don't question things during the fit process because we trust the fitter. I was guilty of that during my first fit but thankfully my bike was the right size so I was able to tweak things as I got more knowledge of fit.
It's a challenge we deal with every day - how do you effectively justify a customer's need for a bike fit when several other "experts" have already taken money from them and left them with a poor - maybe even dangerous - setup?

I have to constantly remind myself I'm not in the business of winning arguments, I'm in the business of "winning" customers.

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was a fitter from a Slowtwich approved fitter (one that Slowman endorsed specifically). So I am surprised at the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
This was a fitter from a Slowtwich approved fitter (one that Slowman endorsed specifically). So I am surprised at the feedback.
that picture looks great. I am not sure if the measurements are the culprit but they still don't look correct to me for that fit and for your specified height.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fit felt great too. Perhaps he mismeasured the results? What in particular looks odd from a measurement perspecive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
The fit felt great too. Perhaps he mismeasured the results? What in particular looks odd from a measurement perspecive?
Looking closer, a couple of things are making sense...

When you posted your original fit coordinates, you posted pad reach from the saddle tip. I had read the pad stack (from BB) and incorrectly assumed pad reach was from the BB, which are the coordinates you actually care about. My belief that your Armpad Reach (from BB) got me completely down the wrong path.

A Pad Reach (from BB) of 435 sounds totally reasonable, although I would personally prefer to bring the saddle forward 2 cm or so and push your pad reach to 455. That would put you at 78-79 degrees or so. That's fitters preference, though, and good fitters have genuine disagreement there.

Your saddle height (and armpad stack) is very high for your height, which implies you are definitely on one end of the morphology curve - long legs, short torso. In contrast, I had a fit where the rider is 6'3, 200 and his coordinates were:

Saddle Height: 795
Saddle Setback: -48 mm (ISM Road)
Saddle Angle: 78 degrees
Armpad Reach BB: 450 mm
Armpad Stack BB: 689 mm
Crank Length: 165 mm

So in summary, your fit looks good. Crisis averted, and sorry to carry you down the wrong path. The bike recommendations don't really change even if you choose to bring the saddle forward.

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Mar 8, 17 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phew! had me scared.

So again -- Canyon looks like a risky play since limited adjustability beyond my current measurement.

Side question -- My road bike is a trek madone 3.1 Frame size 60 I believe. How close could I get to my fit numbers with clip on aerobars? Is that even possible to figure out?

Graham
Last edited by: holograham: Mar 8, 17 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
phew! had me scared.

So again -- Canyon looks like a risky play since limited adjustability beyond my current measurement.

Side question -- My road bike is a trek madone 3.1 Frame size 60 I believe. How close could I get to my fit numbers with clip on aerobars? Is that even possible to figure out?

Graham
Likely that's going to end up way too big.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply