Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Build/Maintain Trails In The Woods (HELP)
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance!

We recently moved and have access to 20 acres of timber behind our house. My goal would be to create a trail loop to run, walk, hike etc.

Please provide any available resources or tips you may have on this. It is fairly hilly so I want to be well thought out in regards to water flow etc to prevent pooling as much as possible.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Build/Maintain Trails In The Woods (HELP) [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is it your property?

I have ten acres and have built a trail system. The real reason for the trails is to gather up the firewood and haul ot back to the house. I have a small tractor for this so the trails must be wide enough for it. If I make a new trail I basically go through the underbrush with the tractor then use loppers to remove the salal and other ground cover. I then rake it out roughly. If there are big holes then I fill with available soil. Areas where there is potentially standing water I lay a piece of drainage tile and or small culvert pipe and cover over with crushed gravel. If we have trees come down I will chip the branches and use that material on the paths themselves to supress ground cover growth and to soften them. we use them a lot for running, walking and mountain biking. The biking is great. We also make some technical narrow paths as well just following the natural contours and deer paths.

i notice that in parks etc they will lay down garden fabric or old newspring and then cover with small crushed gravel. i find this too groomed for my taste but they need to withstand a lot of use.

we have about 1.8 km of trails. seems like not much but when set up as loops you can repeat them in different configurations and they dont get too boring.
Quote Reply
Re: Build/Maintain Trails In The Woods (HELP) [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Most of ours will have to be the narrow paths due to steep terrain etc. Which I'm good with for running and biking, just trying to be strategic as well. Your trails sound great!
Quote Reply