Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TV, laptop and zwift
Quote | Reply
How do y'all with dedicated indoor training setups look at zwift?

I have a MacBook on a hospital table that sits over my front wheel.

What's a better setup? I now have an extra TV available.
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my MacBook attached through to a USB to a 32inch screen. I think I had to buy a Mini HDMI.
ITs much nicer with a TV as then you can see the names and w/kg of people. Find other to ride with similar ability.

I hope this helps.

Jim Hallberg
USAC level II
USAT Level I
http://www.d3multisport.com
WATTS UP!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is my setup. i'm sure you can use the same keyboard/mouse combo so that you can leave the laptop closer to the tv

EDIT: Link so you can see a larger version: http://i22.photobucket.com/...5636_zpsgcu7gvfr.jpg
EDIT: Link to keyboard/mouse combo: https://www.amazon.com/...01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Mar 7, 17 19:13
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
this is my setup. i'm sure you can use the same keyboard/mouse combo so that you can leave the laptop closer to the tv

EDIT: Link so you can see a larger version: http://i22.photobucket.com/...5636_zpsgcu7gvfr.jpg
EDIT: Link to keyboard/mouse combo: https://www.amazon.com/...01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is exactly the inspiration I need. I'll set the MacBook under the tv and get the same remote / keyboard combo

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used my MacBook for years with TR and Zwift, HDMI/ Thunderport to my big screen. This Spring I bought a Steam Machine on sale from GameStop for $275 and mounted it under the TV. Put a 250GB SSD in it and fresh Windows 10, Zwift and popped in my mini Garmin ANT+ and away I went. Oh, got a great Logitech BT wireless keyboard and a built in touchpad. Works pretty slick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do essentially the same thing, except I run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the tv, and keep the laptop next to me.

And it's Chewbacca who makes sure the work outs get completed.
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
And it's Chewbacca who makes sure the work outs get completed.

come to the dark side ... we have cookies
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watch Zwift on a 40" TV directly in front of the bike.
It's connected via HDMI to my laptop. The touchscreen laptop sits on a small surface (top of a small tool cabinet) on my right hand side at 90 degrees to the TV (i.e. the screen is parallel with the bike - I look sideways to view the screen, not forwards). The laptop keyboard and mousepad are easily within reach but I don't generally use them during a ride except maybe to change viewing angles or do a U-turn. I occasionally use the touchscreen if I want to select a turn or look at the menu to see power stats, change bikes, or whatever. Mostly the laptop is not used during the ride, although during very hard intervals with my head down I can glance sideways and see my power/HR/cadence on the laptop screen instead of looking up at the TV. There's just enough room beside the laptop on top of the tool cabinet for my phone. I use the Zwift App on the phone for any other in-game stuff like comments, joining events, finding friends I ride with.
This works very well for me. One benefit is that the ANT+ dongle is quite close to the sensors and I've had no signal drop issues since starting to use it this way. In the past when the laptop was in front of me I got occasional signal drops which were very frustrating (a USB extension cable is an alternative solution, if you want to put your laptop at a distance from the bike and have signal issues as a result)
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
I used my MacBook for years with TR and Zwift, HDMI/ Thunderport to my big screen. This Spring I bought a Steam Machine on sale from GameStop for $275 and mounted it under the TV. Put a 250GB SSD in it and fresh Windows 10, Zwift and popped in my mini Garmin ANT+ and away I went. Oh, got a great Logitech BT wireless keyboard and a built in touchpad. Works pretty slick.

I'm curious, what model steam machine and how smoothly does it run Zwift?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a couple of years I had a folding table in front of the bike with a laptop on it. In the garage.

This year I'll mount our old 42" TV somehow and use that instead. It should help with the immersion.
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
I do essentially the same thing, except I run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the tv, and keep the laptop next to me.

Same.. laptop sits on the basement workbench to the right of my bike/trainer, connected via HDMI to a 32" TV mounted on an exposed ceiling joist (folding mount so I can stow the TV flat against the ceiling when not in use, although I rarely bother doing that). The HDMI cable is routed straight up from the laptop and along the side of the joist to the TV so it's out of the way.
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
waupaca11 wrote:

I'd say any steam machine will run Zwift with 0 issues. I currently run Zwift off my Surface Pro 3 with a core i5 and the integrated GPU and I've never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [redfox29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
redfox29 wrote:
Callin' wrote:
waupaca11 wrote:

I'd say any steam machine will run Zwift with 0 issues. I currently run Zwift off my Surface Pro 3 with a core i5 and the integrated GPU and I've never had a problem.
This. Steam machines are designed for 3D graphics gaming. Any of them will run Zwift.

I also run Zwift on Surface Pro 3 with i5 and integrated Intel graphics. It works fine. Suspect that Zwift reduces the graphics details* or resolution or both, on slower machines but that hardly matters for our workouts.

*I have a home-made gaming computer that runs circles around anything you can buy. But that's in the home office plumbed into two monitors and a joystick and 5.1 surround sound and keyboard/mouse. No way I'm undoing all that to take the machine to the garage to see if Zwift looks/works better. MS Surface runs Zwift more than adequately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
waupaca11 wrote:

I have the i7 SM, 8gb ram, runs Zwift awesome in full graphic mode on my big screen. Shadows and light look amazing...plus the bike headlights actually work! haha
Quote Reply
Re: TV, laptop and zwift [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome, thanks for the replies. have any of you benchmarked your system to get a grade?

https://zwiftalizer.com/

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i was shopping around for a cheap video card to throw in the old desktop i no longer used, i just used this site's compare feature and the minimum required video card they listed on their site. it honestly doesn't require a huge amount of power

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+4000
Quote Reply