Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St Pete Panellas Trail Safety
Quote | Reply
I'm in town for a few weeks and had planned to ride the trail. Now I'm not so sure. Multiple news stories of armed robberies and assaults during daylight have me questioning the safety of the trail versus just hitting the streets. I'm near the south end of the trail in St Pete's Beach. Anyone know specific areas to avoid?

Thanks,

John

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: St Pete Panellas Trail Safety [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go to Fort DeSoto... safe, light traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: St Pete Panellas Trail Safety [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dyarab wrote:
Just go to Fort DeSoto... safe, light traffic.

Yeah, that is plan B. Ran there Sunday and it was pretty awesome.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed Case wrote:
I'm in town for a few weeks and had planned to ride the trail. Now I'm not so sure. Multiple news stories of armed robberies and assaults during daylight have me questioning the safety of the trail versus just hitting the streets. I'm near the south end of the trail in St Pete's Beach. Anyone know specific areas to avoid?

Thanks,

John

Multiple? I've read of problems on the trail...some years ago. But I haven't seen anything in the paper recently, let alone multiple stories. Please share your source. Regardless, it is a shit trail for biking due to all the stop signs.
Quote Reply
Re: St Pete Panellas Trail Safety [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Hed Case wrote:

Thanks,

John

Multiple? I've read of problems on the trail...some years ago. But I haven't seen anything in the paper recently, let alone multiple stories. Please share your source. Regardless, it is a shit trail for biking due to all the stop signs.

Agree, a cursory look shows the crime stories are a few years old, but many were brutal. Knowing neighborhoods don't change overnight, just asking if certain areas are just better to avoid. Thanks for the heads up on the stop signs - I think Fort De Soto will be the better option.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sections to avoid - areas in the Southern section (where you are sort of due West of downtown St Pete) and in the northern end as you approach downtown Tarpon Springs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is there anything else close by? no group rides near dale mabry??? I may have to move from Riverview to McDill and at that point going to brandenton to cycle with VI will more than 1 hour driving plus tolls and a whole lotta gas!!!

I'd never cycle in St Pete, that place is a shithole and wish it would just sink into the ocean personally!!!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: St Pete Panellas Trail Safety [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playero wrote:
is there anything else close by? no group rides near dale mabry??? I may have to move from Riverview to McDill and at that point going to brandenton to cycle with VI will more than 1 hour driving plus tolls and a whole lotta gas!!!

I'd never cycle in St Pete, that place is a shithole and wish it would just sink into the ocean personally!!!

Well, I don't want to see it sink into the Gulf but I never ride there. Better options include:

- Upper Tampa Bay Trail to Suncoast Trail
- Loops around the perimeter of Davis Island
- Loops around Flatwood Park
- Wilderness Trail
- Van Fleet/Auburndale Trail (long, straight, flat)
- Roads around San Antonio/Dade City for Hills
- Roads around Clermont for Hills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Sections to avoid - areas in the Southern section (where you are sort of due West of downtown St Pete) and in the northern end as you approach downtown Tarpon Springs.

Thanks much for the local info, and also the other trail recommendations. Appreciate it.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
playero wrote:

Well, I don't want to see it sink into the Gulf but I never ride there. Better options include:

- Upper Tampa Bay Trail to Suncoast Trail
- Loops around the perimeter of Davis Island
- Loops around Flatwood Park
- Wilderness Trail
- Van Fleet/Auburndale Trail (long, straight, flat)
- Roads around San Antonio/Dade City for Hills
- Roads around Clermont for Hills

Suncoast abd vanfleet. Clermont is 2 hours without traffic.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: St Pete Panellas Trail Safety [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clermont is about 1hr 40mins in the early morning from my home in NW Tampa. That's too far to make it a weekly thing, but I probably get over there about 6 times a year, typically in conjunction with some other event or activity where I can make it into a training weekend.
Quote Reply