Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle pain?
Quote | Reply
Wondering what might be going on with my inner ankle on my left foot. I have pain with about 30 steps right out of bed, and then it's gone. I can run, bike, swim with no pain. I did spin this morning and with some intensity, I could feel a slight tugging in that area, although not painful. I ran after (short, aerobic) and no pain. Iced and stretched well afterwards. I have not drastically increased mileage. From trying to self-diagnose, I wonder if it is a posterior tibial tendon issue. But the thing that trips me up is how fast the pain goes away after I've taken those first steps. I am trying to be cautious though because I feel like it is signaling some kind of problem, even though it isn't bad right now. I am currently following the 30-week Be Iron Fit plan for IMWI on 9/10. Please help me out with any experiences or thoughts you might have. I feel like I am getting to a critical point soon in training and I don't want a setback. Thanks for reading!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle pain? [Carrie2273] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, possibly the posterior tibialis.

1) walking mechanics are different than running mechanics and at times a patient may have pain walking but not running. Plus, you've been sleeping with the ankle plantar-flexed all night and the first motion you take out of bed is going to load the tendon a bit. When you run, my guess is that the tendon has been warmed up a bit so is less "stiff"

2) You likely have a mild case so the tissue loosens up after you walk on it a bit. More severe cases would probably linger.

3) And yes, don't mess around with it. Ideally you find a medical practitioner you trust who can evaluate and treat appropriately for a triathlete. Common causes can be

1) inadequate dorsiflexion at the ankle
2) Excessive pronation during midstance

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply