Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery strategy for back to back marathons
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to get advice on the best ways to recover from a marathon for another 2 weeks later. Managed to get a BQ and then a lottery slot for the Boston 2 Big Sur challenge two weeks after Boston. Knowing that I typically can barely walk for 3-4 days after a marathon effort would like to tap into the collective slowtwitch expertise on how to improve recovery as I've never done 2 marathons this close together before.

My basic strategy is to run Boston at my best effort, and I'm following the same training plan that got me there (Higdon Advanced 1) to prep for Boston. For Big Sur, my goal is to simply finish the race with a smile on my face (so I don't care about the B2BS combined race time per se). I expect to run Big Sur at least 1:00/mi slower, in part due to the hills/wind and because I'm sure my legs won't be fully recovered.

Post-Boston, my recovery plans include hitting the hotel exercise bike for some easy spinning Tues & Wed after the race, plus using my newly acquired Air Relax boots (poor man's Normatec's) a couple of times each day. Also wearing my CEP compression socks daily. For the 10 days after that leading to Big Sur, I plan on doing some light easy, short runs, plus some longer aerobic bike efforts (mainly with the goal of hanging on to some aerobic fitness and keeping the legs flexible while hopefully promoting active recovery.) So I'm not trying to build extra fitness but mainly hang on to what fitness I can while healing. Maybe squeeze a swim or two in there as well.

Any thoughts on post-Boston ice baths, massage, other active recovery techniques, or anything else? Your advice is appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery strategy for back to back marathons [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have a great recovery strategy. If you are not going for a PR at Boston and start feeling late miles getting tougher, maybe just put in on cruise control. But I think you will be fine. I ran a Marathon a few weeks ago, which I went out to fast and the heat and humidity completely wrecked me on the second half of the race. Recovered by not doing any running and six days later I was running my first 100miler. Wish I followed your recovery plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery strategy for back to back marathons [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100miles! That's a whole added order of magnitude. I bet you probably did several marathon+ long training runs in the lead up to that! Thanks for your feedback.
Quote Reply