Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt
Quote | Reply
Regardless of what you think of the Iron Cowboy the reality is that whatever he did was pretty darn impressive in my book. I don't think it was healthy, but I think it was impressive. Now we got The Wish Runner and he doesn't seem like he is off to a good start. Frankly, the 70.3 current record stands at 23, I find that surprisingly low, but this guy, well, he should probably just stop now, maybe he has, his website is now down. Feel bad for Glukos who I guess decided to support this record breaking attempt and the rest of the 30 companies that support him.

Link to Marathon Investigation Piece
Link to HITS Results
Link to ST Hits Palm Springs Thread

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Mar 6, 17 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I posted on FB marathoninvestagation.com got involved because he may have cheated in race 1. Then his "charity" is basically this 15% to the charities....85% to Fund his racing. Total ASSHAT

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
I posted on FB marathoninvestagation.com got involved because he may have cheated in race 1. Then his "charity" is basically this 15% to the charities....85% to Fund his racing. Total ASSHAT

Agreed it is one thing to cheat for your own ego, but it is a whole other effort to snooker 31 sponsors into the ring, and then donate 15% to charities and use the rest. It should be illegal to run things like this.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Regardless of what you think of the Iron Cowboy the reality is that whatever he did was pretty darn impressive in my book. I don't think it was healthy, but I think it was impressive.

Agreed x10 on this. You can make fun of the elliptical, question his reasoning for doing it, or whatever - but the amount of pure work he did during thise 50 days is off the charts. I've read he's doing a bunch of other stuff (though far "easier" than 50/50/50) this year - exited to see how I fares in Europe when hes going for Celtman, Swissman and Norseman all in one year. Especially the first two should be quite hard, given they're on back-to-back-weekends! Also exited to see how he fares in Norseman (and I get to match up against him, since I was lucky enough to score a slot this year! :D)

As for the wish-runner...

Agree the record seems low - probably just a signt that noone has really bothered to chase this one as hard as alot of other records. I'm sure that physically a large number of the ST population could cruise through a HIM every sunday, if asked to! The biggest challenge would be the economics and logistics of it all!
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Regardless of what you think of the Iron Cowboy the reality is that whatever he did was pretty darn impressive in my book. I don't think it was healthy, but I think it was impressive.

Agreed x10 on this. You can make fun of the elliptical, question his reasoning for doing it, or whatever - but the amount of pure work he did during thise 50 days is off the charts. I've read he's doing a bunch of other stuff (though far "easier" than 50/50/50) this year - exited to see how I fares in Europe when hes going for Celtman, Swissman and Norseman all in one year. Especially the first two should be quite hard, given they're on back-to-back-weekends! Also exited to see how he fares in Norseman (and I get to match up against him, since I was lucky enough to score a slot this year! :D)

As for the wish-runner...

Agree the record seems low - probably just a signt that noone has really bothered to chase this one as hard as alot of other records. I'm sure that physically a large number of the ST population could cruise through a HIM every sunday, if asked to! The biggest challenge would be the economics and logistics of it all!

I guess what I don't understand too is if you set a record for full Ironmans and it is more than half, why doesn't the full also just cover the half record as well. So what if instead of doing 1.2 you did 2.4, or 56 you did 112, etc. Likely nobody actually swim 1.2 anyway, they are swimming 1.24 so the technicality of swimming, biking, and running a bit more should. Likewise If someone sets a 13.1 time record during a 26.2 time attempt it should count for both.

Quote Reply
Re: Iron Cowboy Round 2 - The Wish Runner's 70.3 Record Breaking Attempt [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking about the Iron Cowboy has been beat to death. The problem with the IC was how he bastardized rules just to "finish" his 50/50/50. Not just the elliptical, but riding and running indoors when it rained, taking several IVs during race time everyday, etc. I really don't see the point in going over this whole discussion all over again but theres a lot of amazing Ultra triathletes that actually race these ultras under set and established rules by the International Ultra Triathlon Association. No riding/running indoors, no ellipticals, no IVs during the race, same start time everyday, etc. After the IC "finished" and how he claimed a record was a slap in the face to the ultra athletes that actually hold the records (the Iron Cowboy does not hold the official record for consecutive Ironmans). Whats worse is that all IC publicity is worded to seem that he actually does hold this record for his 50/50/50 when officially the only record he held I believe was most 70.3s in one year. But anyways, old news, feel free to flame away. And as a reference the world record for most Ironmans in 1 year is over 100 I believe. This record being much more difficult to beat than 70.3s which is why no one goes after it.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Last edited by: chuy: Mar 7, 17 15:01
Quote Reply