Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
SH wrote:
Total formatting fail!

How so? My responses are in bold. I thought that was clear.

I show no bolding in that post. Maybe others can see it?

Edit: I tried another browser and I can see the bolding now. Hmmm...
Last edited by: SH: Mar 7, 17 17:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wait a minute! You're telling me this worked in the second wealthiest and seventh smallest state in the US???

Yup. At least we agree on that. And a variation of it could work in any number of states, or all states. It isn't like the US isn't the richest country in the world. The primary roadblock is ideological intransigence. In our broken "laboratories of democracy" it makes exactly zero difference if policies are successful, if they lie on the wrong side of an ideological divide.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Wait a minute! You're telling me this worked in the second wealthiest and seventh smallest state in the US???

Yup. At least we agree on that. And a variation of it could work in any number of states, or all states. It isn't like the US isn't the richest country in the world. The primary roadblock is ideological intransigence. In our broken "laboratories of democracy" it makes exactly zero difference if policies are successful, if they lie on the wrong side of an ideological divide.

I love it when someone tries the claim that what worked in one state (especially this one) would work for the entire country. It's almost as hilarious as believing that because it works in Canada, it absolutely would work here!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The way I read it. I will get a tax break since the taxes on high income from ACA will be gone. At the same time, since I and a lot of other foreigners are working in tech we will keep out really good health insurance while Americans and Trump voters will lose insurance or get a more expensive/worse product.

I love this plan. It is made for us foreigners in tech
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And a variation of it could work in any number of states, or all states.

I love it when someone tries the claim that what worked in one state (especially this one) would work for the entire country. It's almost as hilarious as believing that because it works in Canada, it absolutely would work here!

As prime proponent of the "I have no solution at all" school of thought, I find blanket rejection from you without any actual evidence or alternatives to be less than convincing. A variation on RomneyCare could have worked in a number of wealthier states with lower levels of uninsured, given that you admit to it basically working in MA. Here is a list of best states for healthcare access.

https://smartasset.com/life-insurance/best-states-for-healthcare-access

Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

And a variation of it could work in any number of states, or all states.

As prime proponent of the "I have no solution at all" school of thought, I find blanket rejection from you without any actual evidence or alternatives to be less than convincing. A variation on RomneyCare could have worked in a number of wealthier states with lower levels of uninsured, given that you admit to it basically working in MA. Here is a list of best states for healthcare access.

https://smartasset.com/life-insurance/best-states-for-healthcare-access

I provided "my" solution (a couple of times actually). I have said for years that Medicare should have been expanded and Obamacare rejected. But, it is too late for that now. What Rand Paul is proposing has promise.

But, the bottom line is - Obamacare is unsustainable. It is already a failure and the worst part never did kick in because Obama knew damn good and well that implementing the employer mandate would have been the end of Team Donkey. So, to say we should keep Obamacare is just plain ignorant. To continue to point to Romneycare in support of the claim that Obamacare could work is even more ignorant.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. Lower taxes for us, and we will stay covered (my wife's company plan never seems to change significantly). Thank you, conservatives!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's almost as hilarious as believing that because it works in Canada, it absolutely would work here!

What's even more hilarious is that it doesn't work very well in Canada...

Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll say what I said since Obamacares final win in the scotus. The dems took an imperfect system and destroyed it beyond repair. That is why I never supported a repeal and replace scheme
Because there are really only three feasible solutions.

1. Total free market. If you don't have healthcare you rely on charity. You have 6 months after implementation to get on board with pre-existing conditions or you forfeit coverage.

2. A single payer.

3. A hybrid. A single payer system for catostrophic care (hospital stays over 24 hours) all others are subject to a free market. Doctors can pass on accepting the single payer coverage and only accept the supplementary.

These are the only options at this point.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I'll say what I said since Obamacares final win in the scotus. The dems took an imperfect system and destroyed it beyond repair. That is why I never supported a repeal and replace scheme
Because there are really only three feasible solutions.

1. Total free market. If you don't have healthcare you rely on charity. You have 6 months after implementation to get on board with pre-existing conditions or you forfeit coverage.

2. A single payer.

3. A hybrid. A single payer system for catostrophic care (hospital stays over 24 hours) all others are subject to a free market. Doctors can pass on accepting the single payer coverage and only accept the supplementary.

These are the only options at this point.
I vote for option #1.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me to, but not ever going to happen. We may see 3 or 2 happen after this implodes, depending on whose in charge.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If health insurance was allowed to actually be insurance we could have option 3 without single payer. Unfortunately "health insurance" isn't insurance at all anymore. When you force them to take on people are are already in a claim situation it is no longer insurance. Just like you can't wreck your car then call up and pay your $50 per month to have your $15k repair done.

I, as a healthy 31 year old male who never goes to the doctor would be more than happy to pay for a catastrophic plan with a high deductible, but Obama decided I shouldn't be allowed to do that so I can't. Neither my, no my wife's employer offers health insurance so my option is to pay $900 per month for shit coverage that I won't use, or to roll the dice. For reference my mortgage is $1,250. No way in hell any young healthy person is going to pay a second mortgage for health insurance.

Neither side wants to do shit about health care costs. So many of us go uninsured, many of us pay out the ass for insurance and in the meanwhile there are no less than 12 new hospital locations and 15 new buildings on old hospitals within a 10 mile radius of my house in a city with a population of 100k. Hospitals are raking in the money because the costs are out-fucking-rageous. If you even try to get a price up front so you can be a responsible consumer everyone looks at you like you have two heads.

Neither side has the balls to do anything about costs, so they both roll out this unsustainable junk that doesn't work for anyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
(BTW, what do you think of auto and homeowner's insurance?)

I think the federal government shouldn't force me to buy it whether I want it or not, that's what I think.

How much would homeowners or auto insurance cost if light bulbs, carpet cleaning, oil changes and car washes were covered?
Quote Reply
Re: Obamacare Lite Released [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should find a new employer that offer healthcare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:

LOL, get the fuck outta here. There are millions of small businesses that don't provide healthcare, and many that did before don't anymore due to the ACA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

LOL, get the fuck outta here. There are millions of small businesses that don't provide healthcare, and many that did before don't anymore due to the ACA.

Then it is your choice to work for someone that do not offer healthcare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll look who the cat dragged in!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Decline looks fairly constant over time.

Quote Reply

Prev Next