Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing much more riding, riding smarter in the race and pacing myself better during the run

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
I had my best running gains when I was running 6x a week. But that was when I wasn't swimming and I was only ridding twice a week. Now I'm struggling to figure how to logistically fit 5 runs alongside of 4 rides and 3 swims. I'd be interested in seeing how others schedule this balance.

When I built mileage, I backed off on the bike a bit and only rode 2x per week. Once I got to 50 mpw for a few weeks I started back on the full trainerroad HIM build plan (high volume).

My weeks look like this now.

Monday
--5am swim, 3-4000 yards
--lunch run ~5-8 miles SLOW (if I'm destroyed from the weekend I may skip this run or shorten it considerably)
Tuesday
--5am bike, VO2 trainerroad workout
--lunch run, 5-8 miles Z2
Wednesday
--5am swim, 3-4000 yards
--lunch run 10 miles, 3-5 of those at tempo
Thursday
--5am bike, trainerroad tempo
--lunch run 5-8 miles Z2
Friday
--5am bike, trainerroad endurance
--lunch swim, 2500 yards
Saturday
--TT tempo ride ~2 hrs
--Brick run 5-10 miles
Sunday
--Long run - 15 miles

The trainerroad plan moves the tempo/brick session from saturday to thursday every other week with a longer ride taking its place on Saturday. On those weeks I do an easy run on Friday's and skip the swim if I need to (my swim is fine, run is way more important)
Quote Reply
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Dropping weight
2) Biking a lot
3) Running a high frequency and consistent volume
4) Doing intervals and tempo runs sparingly because they impact #2 & #1
5) Being engaged and really focusing on overall body mechanics supplemented with hill sprints and strides.
6) Pacing the bike very evenly, within 1.03 even on moderately hilly courses. That means checking your ego at the door sometimes.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like this and the 5k/10k thread should be merged...

Question for all - a few have mentioned practicing proper run form. Is there a site or set of videos that illustrates proper form? Swim technique is discussed on ST ad nauseam, but run form not so much. Is it more difficult to advise on form because people have different gaits based on musculoskeletal makeup?

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I feel like this and the 5k/10k thread should be merged...

Question for all - a few have mentioned practicing proper run form. Is there a site or set of videos that illustrates proper form? Swim technique is discussed on ST ad nauseam, but run form not so much. Is it more difficult to advise on form because people have different gaits based on musculoskeletal makeup?

I've had a look at a few youtube videos which have helped, but I guess the right thing to do is engage a run coach that can check your technique and advise accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: what made the biggest difference in improving your 70.3 run? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a OD last week and got a pb for the run leg, only 43m (my weakest leg), but I was taking it easy because I'm still babying my calf. Quite surprising considering most of my running has been really easy since returning from injury. 1 day a week intervals, all the rest is mostly z1/z2. Hard to get my head around how running so slow can be effective, I'm not entirely convinced, but I'm running at least as well as I was last year when I was running hard most of the time. I have had a few tempo runs that have been disappointing and that does worry me a little, but I've gone OK in the OD and a recent sprint.
Quote Reply

Prev Next