Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which 3D printer are you using?
Quote | Reply
Ive got some parts I want to make and been looking at printers. Which brand/model are ST'ers using for their projects?

Is quality (durability and print quality) a concern? This is something that seems pretty subjective based on reviews.

This seems to be the best value at $699 but 7 week lead time - Original Prusa i3 MK2.

Appreciate the input.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you want to use it for? Meaning, what do you want to do with the printed parts? Do they need structural integrity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Ive got some parts I want to make and been looking at printers. Which brand/model are ST'ers using for their projects?

Is quality (durability and print quality) a concern? This is something that seems pretty subjective based on reviews.

This seems to be the best value at $699 but 7 week lead time - Original Prusa i3 MK2.

Appreciate the input.

Tell us more about what you'd like to do.

I have used lots and rely on an Ultimaker 2+ for most of what I do.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work in a 3D printing lab at a university, so I have access to lots of toys. in general, FDM desktop printers are more than enough for most bike accessories . I've printed stem specific garmin mounts (designs for Deda zero100, 3T, zipp enve, ritchey, etc.) headset spacers, preload caps. next I'm going to try number holders and other stuff. I've put some of my work up on shapeways as well. my garmin mounts will be up soon.

We use UPBOX and Flashforge FDM 3D printers. UPBOX gives great results, and is easy to use and tinker, but fairly expensive. Flashforge creater pro is great value for money, especially if you have some do-it-yourself elbow grease.

For 99% of most applications, FDM printers are fine. using high expense printers and powders like SLM is unecssary and just an extravagance, (fetha garmin mounts, for example, while nice, are a great waste of money, in my opinion)

If you need structural parts, We just got a markforged and it's a nifty machine, if you can spring for it it's not a bad buy.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing structural. A bento box and a different brake cover fairing.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. I'll check these out. The flash forge was second on my list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For home use / small parts the Wanhao duplicator i3 and it's variants met most of my requirements.
- decent sized print area
- cheap(ish) (some of the diy kits for it are around $150)
- huge community dedicated to this printer, lots of small parts / upgrades / solutions to issues / general support
- good quality (especially with enough tuning)
- User/beginner friendly
- supports most mediums
- Can use any software

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want the one from the research lab I visited one month ago. 500K laser that melts aluminum powder at high speed to make metal parts. That is the next thing that is coming. The laser doesn't move a mirror that directs it does. Really cool.

Jnags7 wrote:

Appreciate the input.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pulled the trigger on this one. thanks for the recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe one day the budget will allow that...

I want the one that prints carbon fiber directly :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Markforged Mark Two

It's a work printer, I couldn't afford it on my own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy/sell 3d printers so I have used a bunch (don't buy a Makerbot...), but I have a Makergear M2 and Flashforge Creator for personal use. Both were bought used and have been great printers.

I don't what other ST'ers have experienced as far as maintenance, but be prepared to tinker and maintain the printer if you want consistent quality prints. They're definitely not a "just-click-print" device.

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Mar 6, 17 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 funny
I think the first 3/4 of a roll of PLA I used were to print off parts FOR the 3d printer ;)

Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh god, this can't be stressed enough. ALWAYS HAVE SPARE PRINTED PARTS!!! I've lost track of the number of times I had to MacGuyver something to get a part printed.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha interesting. I gathered that it wasn't just plug and play but the idea of using the printer to print spare parts hadn't occurred. Makes perfect sense and I'm sure I would have thought about it the first time something broke.

Thanks for the tips.
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Markforged Mark Two

It's a work printer, I couldn't afford it on my own.
We have one too at my job. It's been great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm using the Stratasys Dimension Elite we have at work and it's great. We're in the market to add a second machine here so we're about to start shopping, so if anyone has any recommendations under $30k I'm all ears.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a $200 internet special.
Brand? Hah. There is no brand.
It's a DIY RepRap.

I finally was able to get an ABS print last night. Now that I've done that, I'll keep fiddling with the photogrammetry thing to see if can get some ability to match some complex curves on my frame to make a little thingy or two.

Here's the thing I've learned about 3d printing. It requires massive amounts of patience. I'm sure it's amplified when:
-you have a cheap DIY printer with poorly translated instructions
-you have no experience with printing
-you have no experience with 3d design

That being said, it's fun as heck. The good part of the cheap printer and starting from scratch....when I move forward with higher cost hardware, I should see even better results. Kinda like training on a hybrid and racing on a carbon fiber tri-bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you all think about this model:

https://www.amazon.com/...s=Flashforge+Creator
Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
being limited to PLA only might be an issue depending on the parts you are planning to make.

Quote Reply
Re: Which 3D printer are you using? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
What do you all think about this model:

https://www.amazon.com/...s=Flashforge+Creator

I have 3 of those in my classroom at work(I teach some intro to engineering/design classes to middle schoolers), I also have a printer that costs 3 times as much and I always go to the FlashForge units first. I will say however that only being able to print PLA could limit what you make, but for nonstructural parts it is a great printer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why buy? I mean, if you want to hobby around with it, sure. But if you want to print two parts? Make the file, email, get the part back. Or look around. My local library has a few 3D printers - no one ever seems to be using them. Lots of universities have these, some as part of a 'maker' lab. If they have an open house or community outreach, you might get access. Happy to sell you a Bento and whittle you a brake fairing for $700! :)
Quote Reply